Quantcast

Sea Otter 2010: A Wrapup of Days 1 and 2

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

The mountain bike world has converged on Monterey, California for the annual initiation of the season of bicycle riding and racing. Here is a summation of what went down on the first two days!
---

Photos by Fraser Britton
Words by David Peacock

Yes, the DH track is flat. It always has been, it always will be. This is the first fact of life that must be dealt with when considering Sea Otter as a racing destination. But for many years it has served as so much more than just a mediocre downhill race. Among the popular pastimes of participants at Sea Otter is greedily drooling over the "pre-releases" of new product at company tents. It's kind of like a springtime version of Interbike, with less scantily clad women (unless you include lycra as scantily clad).

Sick Mick Hannah finds the time before winning Dual Slalom to train some not-so-DH.

The main event for Saturday was the dual slalom, as both qualifiers and finals were completed, much to the delight of spectators. It remains to be seen why dual slalom is not a World Cup discipline, as it is consistently considered to be one of the most well received events at major venues such as Sea Otter. This year's edition, in true DS form, was a thriller right up until the final head-to-head race, in which Mick Hannah defeated local boy Aaron Gwin by a mere .04 seconds to take the crown of Sea Otter champion. If you are for some reason unfamiliar with Mr. Gwin I strongly suggest that you watch this video and get ready for an incredible World Cup season from the number one American DH racer. The women's event was dominated by Jill Kintner, as she took home the win despite her acclaimed shift in focus to downhill.

Men's Dual Slalom Results
1. Mick Hannah
2. Aaron Gwin
3. Jared Rando
4. Jared Graves
5. Greg Minaar
6. Kyle Strait
7. Mitch Ropelato
8. Neko Mullaly
9. Dan Atherton
10. Chris Kovarik

Women's Dual Slalom Results
1. Jill Kintner
2. Rachel Atherton
3. Sabrina Jonnier
4. Melissa Buhl
5. Leigh Donovan
6. Kathy Pruitt
7.Tracy Moseley
8. Anneke Beerten
9. Fionn Griffiths
10. Claire Buchar-Kovarik

Mini shredder Troy Brosnan cleans out his category at the dual slalom

To start things off for the product peeking are SDG's new saddles; designed in conjunction with Sam Hill and Brendan Fairclough, they represent a slight departure from the conventional saddle. Now, we are all obviously aware of these rider's ability aboard the bike, so there must be some method to this wet-seat madness; however, my first views of the seats have left me skeptical. Sure, a pine cone may have grip but that doesn't mean it will make a good bicycle saddle.

I suppose this is where one might have to consider the alternative of having one's nether regions slide gracefully into the rear wheel because of a slippery couch. SDG does have a reputation for producing some of the lightest and most comfortable (per gram) seats available, so I will withhold any serious judgments on the race-oriented saddle until an appropriate test has occurred. Production is scheduled to start later on in the year on these bad boys so look for them online and in your LBS!

The highlight of day one was undoubtedly the Follow Me premier. The film is already being hailed as the best mountain bike film ever, so be sure to check it out and watch for a full review coming soon. But for now, take Ridemonkey's resident protog Fraser Britton's words as testimony: "If you like watch talented people have fun while riding bikes, you will love this movie."

Downhill practice has been ongoing throughout the week, with the majority of the World Cup heavy hitters partaking. The newly reinvented Cedric Gracia has been training the DH and looking fast on his V10, which is reported to be replaced soon, much to the delight of hype hounds everywhere. Pinkbike conducted a great video interview with Cedric here, so be sure to check that out for Cedric's view on the Otter and the upcoming season. In addition to Cedric, World Champion Steve Peat has been laying down laps alongside teammate Greg Minaar. Both are poised to have a great World Cup season if Sea Otter is any indication.

Cedric negotiating his way through the six pack on the DH course.
Remember to keep checking into the live thread for up-to-the minute news, and stay tuned for coverage on the DH finals, the Dual Stunt and all that fresh product that's greasing the pits of Monterey!

Attachments