Quantcast

Sea Otter 2011 questions coming from canada

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
Me and a few friends are thinking about coming down and giving it a shot. coming from canada we want to make sure we are covered well in advance of driving across the country since we are on the far side of the east coast.

Is a USAC license required (we arn't racing cat 1 as far as i know) or will the canadian UCI license cover us? is there anything else other then covering the license stuff we should know so we dont get a surprise when we get down there.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
If you aren't racing CAT-1, you can get the day racing license (covers CAT-3 and CAT-2) that is needed for registration online.

You should be good to go from there.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
not sure about the license issue, but be prepared for very cold, very muddy conditions and also very hot, very dry conditions. It's usually one or the other.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
not sure about the license issue, but be prepared for very cold, very muddy conditions and also very hot, very dry conditions. It's usually one or the other.
im coming from new brunswick (incase some dont know, the province right above maine) in a city right on the ocean in april, im sure in comparison april cali cold and muddy is our hot and very dry

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
As somebody who lives in cali about 2-3 hours from the otter: I'm not bothering to go. The course sucks, the expo is fun once or twice and then its just annoying. The only thing fun and worth watching is the DS. Watching a bunch of dudes pedal their asses off on a DH bike on what is essentially a flat course with two "steep" sections that you can get up to 25-30mph and are as wide as a freeway (and as smooth) is pretty boring. Be prepared to be disappointed by the course, by having to wait 45 minutes in line to practice each run, and by crappy weather. Nobody likes 45 degree bucketing rain, or 100degree no cloud in the sky on hot asphalt.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I went last year for the first time, interesting to experience, but I certainly wouldn't drive across the continent for it....save your time and cash for something radder

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Don't forget about the 50mph wind! :D

The only reason I go is to watch the big boys race, not something I can do easily in Cali. You should just save your money and go to one of the Canadian World Cup races.

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Boring, I live 2 hours away and I am not going. Waste of time and money for the last 7 years. NO MORE! When they make sick jumps on the DH track I'll go back, but this year they will not...They will mow the grass and weeds down on Wednesday night and tell everyone that practice is over 30 minutes early because they need time to go for a smoke break...Maybe the Calamari is worth the drive though...

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
If you've never been to WC race it is worth going.

Last year I gave a kid from New Zealand a ride to Sea Otter from LA (he was visting a friend and didn't fly over just for the race). He was stoked to race DH and dual, see all the WC pros, go to the movie premieresm check out the pits etc.

Is the DH track utter crap yes but don't forget the festival experience. It isn't very often you get to hang out for 4 days, watch the top racers in the world do their things and go see the latest movies when they open.

If you're driving across the country I assume you'll have time to ride in various places along the way. Take a couple days to ride in Santa Cruz, Moab, etc

Don't let the jaded locals keep you from coming and having a great time.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
If you are driving from new brunswick, you can plan a route that passes some amazing riding. If you have the time (and it seems you do since you're driving across the continent,) I suggest this. As others have said, the actual riding at sea otter is not really the highlight.

As i am sure you know, it's a really, really long drive. Driving 12hr days, it would take about 5 days. This is what I did.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sea Otter is always fun, and it's been even more fun since I decided to stop racing there years ago.

As a mid-pack kinda guy the DH race is just not worth it to me. You miss out on all kinds of good stuff standing around for hours trying to get in a couple practice runs. Add in all the douches cutting the lines, the cost, and the course (which is fun, but pretty lame by real DH standards) and it's an easy decision for me.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Don't let the jaded locals keep you from coming and having a great time.
2nd or 3th that.

I've been going since I moved out here 13 years ago and it's a good time. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we all know the DH course sucks, blah, blah, blah... I agree with Ripper. It can be more fun just skipping the DH and doing other things. Just go poach the course in the evenings to get your DH fill. The DS is much better anyhow and there are so many other things to do bike related. Camping at the venue is always a good time (at least when the weather is good).

Add in the movie premieres, all of the new goodies, fit roadie chicks in their lycra, quick trips to ride Santa Cruz, Monday Aptos jump jam (if it's still on this year), pump tracks, etc. and it's worth doing at least once.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
If you had a co-pilot to share the drive you could cut the time in half.
That's right. Then you are driving 24hrs a day. For 2.5 days. That is: start driving Monday 9am, stop driving Wednesday 9pm.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Not trying to discourage you btw, just throwing it out there since I've done the drive.

Watch out for cops in Arizona, New Mexico and New York :)

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
Clay Porter's new movie is premiering Sea Otter 2011, isn't it? May be worth it... I went to the F1rst, Seasons and Follow Me premieres and they're always a good time.

sgarstin

Chimp
Feb 26, 2010
seriously don't do it. There are other places to spend your money and time at. Trips like driving from the east coast of canada to the southwest coast of america may make you view racing bitterly (due to the complete waste of resources trying to get your ass to a ****ty ass race), end up quitting, and abusing alcohol.