Quantcast

sea otter DH

lukebikes

Chimp
Dec 30, 2007
bay area
Well that depends. id say if your comfortable riding your blur then id rather that over my dh bike. and also might have a little to do with weight. im 115 and am with out a doubt riding my blur 4x over the sunday unless they make substatail changes to the track, which i doubt they will.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Last year I only had my big bike so I brought it and it wasn't to bad, but the course really doesn't require a big bike. This year I'm bringing my 5 inch travel bike instead.

There was a kid in line who had a blur 4x, he said the bike was great for the course except for two parts that had enough chop that he wanted his big bike. Not that it was so bad that he couldn't ride it, he just felt he was losing speed. I could see where that would be a factor, but I think you gain it all back on that short uphill section...

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
im trying to decide if i ride my double or my sunday. ill have both bikes there anyway since im doing ds so ill do a run and decide then. i can see both bikes having different advantages.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Personally, I've got a MkIII, and I'd definitely ride that bike there over my 7point. The only part I can foresee having problems on is the steep and fast section after the step-down, and only because it has a million bumps on it. A big bike would cruise right over that, where as a light travel bike might give you a lot of pedal feedback and stuff.

BUT... I'm over The Otter, and won't be out there this year. Bad weather, poor organization, and a multitude of douchebags talking too much sh*t in line have pissed me off.

I'll try to be there to watch you guys race, but I won't be racing.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Whats up Evan?

I am going to be racing with my small bike (5 inch travel) this year because I don't have a big bike anymore. I will probably a month or two after the Otter though.

But yeah, there are a few sections I think will be rough/tough on a short travel bike.

1. The fast rutted downhill after the step down
2. The short rutted downhill after the climb and right before the hip jump
3. The newer bottom section right before the wood stuff they put in last year with the wall ride/gap

But, the rest of the course I think will be perfect for the short travel bikes. Any of the flat sections will be really nice, the jumps, and the uphill should all be way better.

I fully know what you mean Mike. You better be there with a "GO EVERYONE!" t-shirt on and making a ton of noise. Cow bell is a MUST. =]

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I'll be there with a foghorn, and a shirt that says, "I slept with _________ last night".

It'll have Velcro in the blank, and I'll have you name, Todd's name, Brian's name, his lady, and everyone else I know's name, and I'll just switch them out every time you come riding by. Haha...

P.S. Sorry to be such a downer as to Sea Otter. It's great in the sense that it gets everyone involved, but EVERY class of cycling is represented, and EVERY race runs 100x smoother than the DH races. I just don't understand. :(

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I'll be there with a foghorn, and a shirt that says, "I slept with _________ last night".

It'll have Velcro in the blank, and I'll have you name, Todd's name, Brian's name, his lady, and everyone else I know's name, and I'll just switch them out every time you come riding by. Haha...
You better get cracking on that shirt. It sounds amazing. Also Emily will be very happy to see it when she comes on Sunday to watch the Pimp class with me. The fog horn is 100% necessary.

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang

P.S. Sorry to be such a downer as to Sea Otter. It's great in the sense that it gets everyone involved, but EVERY class of cycling is represented, and EVERY race runs 100x smoother than the DH races. I just don't understand. :(
Ha ha nice idea on the shirt Mike!I sadly will not be there due to a week long class I have the same week(sigh)I agree with you Mike about all that you said,kinda the reason I pretty much stopped surfing,I just hated all the cool guy attitude and trash talk.Its still super cool to go and watch people race and check out all the cool new pretty parts though.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Agreed, Todd. I'll definitely be there, hopefully (if wedding stuff doesn't interfere) just to check out parts, wheels, and people's bikes.

But racing? I'm done with The Otter.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
What have I gotten myself into. I just paid for the registration. Ugh. SO expensive for EARLY registration. Stupid. $65 + $10 one day license + $5 service charge = $80. Ugh. I cant even imagine paying more than that.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah, one freaking race with the earliest registration price.

Goes up another $15 on March 20th and up another $25 after April 3rd.

WTF Mate?!?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Damn, I need to register soon! I'm just doing DH because $$$ and there's lots of other stuff going on. Camping is rediculous...$60-$95/night.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
The entire event is super expensive. And it's not like they're not making money off of the HUGE vendor booths, etc.

They're just raping the cyclists because they know that they can, because for most people this is the only race that they do every year.

LAME.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i was pissed about the registration too, that's crazy expensive for a race. they justify it by mentioning the swag bag, but there really isn't much in there.

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
Ha, ha ,wow Josh I was going to post almost the same reply to the lame goody bag thing.Im out this week for the ride(bah)i messed my wrist up pretty bad working, and I can hardly even hold on to my handle bars much less ride.Im so bummed too cause the DH bike is all trick out with new bearings, forks and a few other goodies.So maybe next week for me .Have fun though.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Damn dude! Take it easy on that thing. Looks like you are out for the race this weekend too. Weak. You should come and cheer us on =] If you are feeling better next week for sure. I might bail out of work early next week for some riding. Maybe I will do it later in the week to give you more healing time.

Stupid 'goodie bag'.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Man you guys got me bummy about this race now. This is my first one but all I've been hearing is bad stuff.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
ServeEm. You'll have a good time, and the trail is pretty frickin' fun.

But there are downsides.

Don't let all of our badmouthing of the event turn you off. Thousands upon thousands of people show up every year and have a total blast.

:)

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Fun it is indeed. definately worth going. even though the dh isn't much of a dh, there are still fast sections and the course has fun berms and a few fun jumps.(depeding on conditions) camping is the way to go too that way you are right there the whole time, and there are always chill people camping. people get super faded too. :thumb: and,i almost forgot to mention all the free sh1t you can get if you scavenge a bit. I still have a huge bag of like every sticker you can find there.