Quantcast

Sea Otter Report - Dual Slalom

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Sam Hill and Melissa Buhl have won the Sea Otter slalom. The men's race was incredible with more than a few bar to bar battles right to the finish.

Sam Hill (AUS - Monster Energy Specialized) and Melissa Buhl (USA - KHS) took on all comers under blazing hot California sunshine to take home the 2009 Sea Otter Classic Dual Slalom titles.

Once upon a time slalom was a common site at gravity events, but as of late it is a rare breed of event that racers get extremely excited for. The course here at Sea Otter hasn't changed much in recent years, but the extremely dry conditions in Monterey as of late turned the usually well manicured and tacky track into a drifty, dusty affair that saw more than one big name go down in a gigantic cloud of dust. Cedric Gracia (FRA), Greg Minnaar (RSA) and a handful of others became victims of the moon dust, sliding in out in the upper corners.

Hill managed to keep it the rubber side down and out sprinted the USA's Cody Warren (Specialized/Decline) in fantastic first heat. Warren went down in the second run, giving the Australian an easy ride to the line. "I'm good friends with Cody and wanted to see him win, of course, I wanted to win as well. I felt strong in the corners, the slippery conditions were good for me. I felt more comfortable and stronger."

Buhl went gate to gate off the front and took on all comers, never having to fight back all day. In the finals she went up against ex-world champion and olympic bronze medallist Jill Kintner (USA - Intense) and put a full bike length on her by the first corner. " I had a good day the course changed so much from this morning. It really got dusty and blown out. By the end of the day there were entire berms missing on the blue course! You really had to play it safe and work smart here. Anytime you get in the gate against Jill, you have to feel good about winning against her. She's a great racer and has really accomplished a lot."

Eye of the tiger? Look close and you will spot some shiny new chrome blackbox brakes that have only shown up on Sam and Brendog's bikes so far.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I will add to the pics...
Had the cam in my backpack, shot for 10 minutes and was over it. So many photo goons out there. Here is a slow shutter sam shot, dreamy ;)
And another that was headed for trash, but figured the Samboys would like it:

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Next generation of Codes perhaps, with the taperbore technology?
no...? I wouldn't stake my life on that, but we were hanging out with hill before the race explaining drunkenly to him why "its important that he win," and then hung out with him after in the pits (drunkerenly) talking to him and asking about his bikes.

I'm convinced he goes so fast because of the eyebrows. I am certain of this in fact.

But he's actually a pretty chill character, I think I've become a fan boi after hanging out with him! New Sam Hill fanboi on ridemonkey!

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
Sam Hill and Melissa Buhl have won the Sea Otter slalom. The men's race was incredible with more than a few bar to bar battles right to the finish. Full report after I get some dinner into me.

Eye of the tiger? Look close and you will spot some shiny new chrome blackbox brakes that have only shown up on Sam and Brendog's bikes so far.

Great Shot!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Something needs to be noted....

Buhl and Kintner in the final, Buhl beat Kintner in first run, but obviously still had to pin it. When interviewing her at the finish (Buhl) I looked at her rear brake line, it was snapped off, she didn't want to say on interview, but her f-ing brake line snapped in the gate so she did the whole last run with no rear brake!! so rad....and was only .23 back, taking the overall win. Pretty impressive.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Now I'm pissed I didn't go to Sea Otter! For me, winning Sea Otter slalom is like winning a spring classic on the road or something. It is not "just another race" but yet isn't a World Cup. Everything else at Otter save the slalom pretty much sucks. Great for Sam to do it in front of the "hometown" crowd with Sinyard and everyone from Morgan Hill on the sidelines. Congrats to Sam!

-ska todd

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Sam blew ahead of Gee in his round by a god 4 bike lengths by mid course and kept pouring the power on. Can you say grudge match? There was a few incredibly fought fights though. No one was taking things lightly. Maybe it had something to do with the sun, the heat and the nice weather?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

Kintner kicks up a cloud of dust

Hannah and Rando go head to head. Rando proved he has legs of steel by keeping up with mick and going to a thousandth of a second at the line.

The corner that take out the likes of Gracia and a few others.

Carter and Atherton go head to head, Gee barely got to the line first and knocked out Carter.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Sam blew ahead of Gee in his round by a god 4 bike lengths by mid course and kept pouring the power on. Can you say grudge match?
Gee deserves getting put in his place once in a while, haha

it's good to see that he has toned down his "attitude" a bit this year and has been acting a bit more pro.

great rider, don't get me wrong... but last year every time he opened his mouth it was trash talking or just plain rubbish. it seemed like his ego was getting a bit inflated. hopefully he can take a page out of sam, greg, and steves book on how to carry himself.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004

it's good to see that he has toned down his "attitude" a bit this year and has been acting a bit more pro.

great rider, don't get me wrong... but last year every time he opened his mouth it was trash talking or just plain rubbish. it seemed like his ego was getting a bit inflated. hopefully he can take a page out of sam, greg, and steves book on how to carry himself.
And that's a fact.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Brakes - are those the Elixer XX?

The DS was great this year. There were a few standouts that showed incredible speed. Rando was fast. Straight poured it on at the bottom. Carter was, well, Carter and smoking. But Sam Hill just looked so good every single run.

Great race.

Feb 18, 2009
Specialized must be pretty happy this year. Too bad the new SXs are about as fugly as they come... oh well, guess looks don't affect performance after all.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
No mention of Mitch Ropelato the 17 year old kid who finished 13th ahead of D. Atherton, Minnaar, Gracia? He was fast and throwing some gnarly scrubs over the tables.

Watching Sam and Gee ride the truck up for their second run you could feel the tension. Sam was pedaling well.

UCI please ditch 4X for dual.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005

I'm fricken world champ man! I'm the best, ever!