Quantcast

Sea Otter Report - The paddock Report

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Unusually hot and sunny weather is baking Sea Otter this year. Unlike years past, there isn't much new product floating around the paddock area this year, although there is loads of vendors selling everything from ti bolts to pirate jerseys.

Nevertheless, we were able to get a sneak peak of a few new items, including the intense 951, the new team issue yeti 303 and the very first production e13 LG1+ chain guides. We also got a quick peak of the downhill bikes Hill and Fairclough are riding here, getting them dialed in for the World Championships.

X-Fusion shocks launched their new through axle 6" travel fork, the Vengeance, last night at their booth.

Gravity racing starts tonight with dual slalom, qualifying has been going on all afternoon and finals is set to get started about 4pm. Look for a full report and photos from the event soon afterwards.

The new Yeti Team Issue 303. It has bushings at the rear pivots, a slightly different rail assembly

Look for Hill and Fairclough to be racing a slightly modified SX at the World Championships. Sea Otter is the perfect test ground for the new little bike. Their bikes only showed up Thursday from Africa, just in time. New Boxxers are still pretty rare, so the little bikes were forkless for a bit and Jacy was stressing.

Intense is using Otter to launch their new 951 downhill bike. Somewhere between an M6 and a Socom, it looks to be the perfect solution for courses like Otter and Canberra.

The new Xfusion vengeance looks solid. Adjustable high and low speed compression, rebound and air pressure, it looks to be a fantastic fork. It was developed over the last 2 years by their race team undercover in another manufacturers lowers. Look for a review soon.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
The new Xfusion vengeance looks solid. Adjustable high and low speed compression, rebound and air pressure, it looks to be a fantastic fork. It was developed over the last 2 years by their race team undercover in another manufacturers lowers.
awesome.

does this mean they made their own damper cartridge and air spring and installed them in another maker's fork, in place of that fork's damper and air spring?

I love that kind of ingenuity -- practical, not reinventing the whole thing.

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
awesome.

does this mean they made their own damper cartridge and air spring and installed them in another maker's fork, in place of that fork's damper and air spring?

yes. they were using a 36 float chassis for sure, and possibly a lyrik chassis at one point as well.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
awesome.

yes. they were using a 36 float chassis for sure, and possibly a lyrik chassis at one point as well.
Idk... I interpret it that they were using the chassis from another fork with their own proto internals so they could test them out in the open without anyone in the public knowing. IE it would only be for testing, not production.

Also, the fact that lowers are generally cast (if I'm not mistaken), and the tooling for these is very expensive and has a lot of lead time.

One other thing... I don't know if SRAM/RS or Fox would be willing to share identical lowers with another fork company (as it is their design). On the upside, it would create a larger run of lowers and they would be cheaper per unit...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
One other thing... I don't know if SRAM/RS or Fox would be willing to share identical lowers with another fork company (as it is their design). On the upside, it would create a larger run of lowers and they would be cheaper per unit...
they might not be using them as a supplier for production. they are probably testing their internals out in off the shelf product for prototyping and then decide on what to do with the lowers after the internals are dialed.