Quantcast

Sea Otter Super-D course - - is anyone familiar with it?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I'm about to (finally) get my entry in for Sea Otter. Besides the downhill, it looks like there is time in my schedule to enter the Super-D.

My question is: does anybody here know specifically what this year's S.O. Super-D course is supposed to be like? It seems from what I've read about a lot of the NORBA Nats, the XC guys clean up because there is too much climbing or not enough real down. I've seen footage of last year's course which looked like a snore-fest; but this year's is purported to be much different.

The last super-d I did was on my AS-X, which was competitive on courses like the one at the Schweitzer, ID Nats. Now that I'm on a Gran Mal, I'm unsure. I don't want to waste entry fee money on a race that is going to be able to be dominated by guys on full-on XC bikes. That was never the intent of Super-D but it's gotten that way.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
it probably won't make much of a difference, but i heard that they're redesigning the super d course for this year, could be good, i just can't see there being anything that would make it too exciting, the park just doesn't have the best terrain.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
it probably won't make much of a difference, but i heard that they're redesigning the super d course for this year, could be good, i just can't see there being anything that would make it too exciting, the park just doesn't have the best terrain.
That's what I'm afraid of. I'll probably just stick to the DH and add Super-D at Tamarack instead.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
i just can't see there being anything that would make it too exciting, the park just doesn't have the best terrain.
The best part is, across Hwy 68 is Toro Park (where the CCCX guys have been running races) which has the perfect terrain for a super d. A good amount of pedaling, not so technical, and a long distance. It could even be a decent substitute for the DH course if SOC put a little work in.