Quantcast

Sea Otter Through the eyes of yours truly

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
So it was my first trip to Sea Otter this year, and it was a real learning experience. For those of you who have never been, imagine Interbike being held outside in the dust, with races going on at the same time. To call it hectic would be an understatement. We installed more chainguides than I thought possible in a 4 day stretch, and our trash can was always overflowing with clapped out guides from other manufacturers - it was quite a sight to behold.

Anyway, below are some photos from the trip. Enjoy.

--JP

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Our pit always seemed to be mobbed. Tons of 'pitless' friends of ours just kind of moved in and made themselves at home, and although it got crowded at times, we enjoyed the company. During the weekend, we had the likes of Jill Kitner, Todd Bosch, Lars Tribus, Aaron Chase, Jeff Lenosky, Darren Berecloth, Carlin Dunne, and many others all working on their bikes in our pit. Here's George Ryan hanging out with Porter as he builds up one of his bikes.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
One of the other guys hanging out a bunch was Lenosky (pronounced "Len-ah-ski"; NOT "Len-OW-ski" as some people would have you believe). Apparently, his razor wasn't working well so he had a buddy go to town with the pliers.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
On Friday night, there was a big Bike Magazine awards party. Sanjay showed up with the sharpie, and Don Hampton showed up with the stickers. Mix in a couple of kegs of fat tire, and pandemonium ensued.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Bosch: "Yo, Bro. Got some bills I can, uh, 'borrow'?"
Tobler: "Sure, dude. No problem! How much you need?"
Allison: "Uhh, are you guys twins or something??"

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
The famous "Volc-onion" at the Hibachi joint. I'm just pissed I didn't get a pic of the menu at the Mexican joint where they were selling, "A CHICKEN!! A Whole F*cking CHICKEN . . . and sour cream enchillada . . . "

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
That's about it. It was a great trip overall, but I'm glad it's only once a year. We had our share of ups and downs, but in the end, we managed to have fun and make a lot of new friends.

See you all at Big Bear!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by John P.
That's about it. It was a great trip overall, but I'm glad it's only once a year. We had our share of ups and downs, but in the end, we managed to have fun and make a lot of new friends.

See you all at Big Bear!
Why is Porter checking out Dave's azz in that picture?
Porter is one of those dudes I crack up at just looking at him.
Goofy bastard. I hope I see him around some this year.
Nice Pics, JP

Sep 10, 2001
John,
All that and you managed to keep the camera right sideup....

Wish I could have made it up and joined you guys in the pitless friends club... :D

Brian

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by John P.

See you all at Big Bear!
Word... Can't believe that I haven't bumped into you guys at any races yet.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Is it just me, or do Weagle and John strike anyone else as the odd couple of mountain biking? :D

Throw tobler in the mix and who the hell knows what'll happen!
you guys rock.:love:

grizgal

Chimp
Dec 5, 2003
somerville
John - those are the best Sea Otter pics I've seen! Love the dancing in the parking lot. So I guess our plan to steal Allison (Levil) didn't work - but...notice how she's sporting a pink t-shirt - she's converting - i can see it. :D See you all at the US Open.
-a

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Right on! Looks like you guys had a blast. It was nice to meet you guys (matt w gray imperial+rohlof). How did your race run go?

I was so pleased with the way my bike rode that week. Pilot error only :D.
I hope to see you guys again at some of the east coast events.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
holy crap John...I never saw your face on here before. I just realized I've met you more than once and stood around bull****ing with you a bunch. Even met you at Plattekill when I rode up there for a race a few years back I think.

Funny stuff...however, you left out the obligatory "red glazed eyed, drunken photo" :D

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Originally posted by Pat
Is it just me or does Lenosky look like he's 8 feet tall in that pic?
when Lenosky came to Asheville for the Urban Sprawl...I SERIOUSLY thought he was crowd control He's a big dude...ain't skinny. I wouldn't wanna dance with him though...my nose would be in his boobies. I'd rather dance with Dave...:p

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
AHAHA oh man thats too great. Wish i coulda gone out there, some day.
The last pic of dave is good but the look on porters face makes it that much better:p

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Hey, it was fun hanging out with you guys again at Sea Otter. I'll make sure that I bring the Sharpie with me when I come to the east coast.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
say john, how 'bout tossin a few of those clapped out guides in your first post my way? really tho, if you want to, reply or pm and u may have my adress. oh yea, nother thing, is there an evil/e. thirteen retail store?