Quantcast

Sea Otter....worth the drive?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I'm seriously considering going next year. I'm already counting the days until Whistler opens up.

I know lots of PNW riders have made the trip down there in the past few years....so what is your opinion of the even and the DH course? Kevin hasn't been in years so he doesn't really remember anything except it was kinda flat.

Thanks, Amy

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
I don't know much about the DH, but if you have never been to Sea Otter, it is definitely worth the drive. It is the biggest bike race/event that you can participate in. If you want to camp on-site, I heard it fills up really fast

foesjunky

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
In the 909
Well worth it, Dh course is fun, but not to technical, Six inches or less works great, my Foes Mono was way to much bike. We'll see you there!!!!!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I've never been but most people I've talked to will tell you "nope. not worth it".....at least from a pure race experience. very crowded. Long lines, lame course. But I hear the atmosphere is good....

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Are you planning on doing the DH or XC or both? The first half of the DH course has some jumps (tabletops) a ladder drop and is downhill, the second half is pretty flat and required a lot of pedaling. Since it's one course for all skill levels there are go-arounds at all the "big" stuff. The good thing about the course is that you really don't need a big bike. I brought my VP-Free this past year and I wish I had my Blur 4x back then. Next year I'm bringing the Blur and doing both the DH and 4x with it. The expo area was huge and pretty cool w/ a great vibe. I also got to meet some fellow monkeys down there too and it was good putting a face w/ a name.

The camping scene was both good and bad, we had some fun, but it also got kinda loud in the evenings - which sucked when you were trying to get some sleep cause you had a 8am practice the next day. But overall a great trip and I'm doing it again. I'd offer up a seat in my car...but I've already gotten asked by a bunch of people that want to carpool w/ me and unfortunately I don't have that many seats.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Five said:
Are you planning on doing the DH or XC or both? The first half of the DH course has some jumps (tabletops) a ladder drop and is downhill, the second half is pretty flat and required a lot of pedaling. Since it's one course for all skill levels there are go-arounds at all the "big" stuff. The good thing about the course is that you really don't need a big bike. I brought my VP-Free this past year and I wish I had my Blur 4x back then. Next year I'm bringing the Blur and doing both the DH and 4x with it. The expo area was huge and pretty cool w/ a great vibe. I also got to meet some fellow monkeys down there too and it was good putting a face w/ a name.

The camping scene was both good and bad, we had some fun, but it also got kinda loud in the evenings - which sucked when you were trying to get some sleep cause you had a 8am practice the next day. But overall a great trip and I'm doing it again. I'd offer up a seat in my car...but I've already gotten asked by a bunch of people that want to carpool w/ me and unfortunately I don't have that many seats.
I'm planning on just doing the DH. I'm trying to talk Kevin into going cause he digs DS, otherwise I'm going to ask my mom to ride down with me. (My mom is super cool:cool: )

I'd ride my 6 Pack on the course. I'm just hoping my arm will be ready for the jumps. Marla won the DH two years ago on her Blur too!

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
It's well worth the trip. The DH course may not be the best in the world, but it's still a great event. The 4X, DJ contest, and DS event are all really good.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
You should definitly go! The courses are "fun", but not too challenging. Just going and seeing everyone and taking in the whole experience is well worth it. Probably the most fun event I have ever been to. See you two down there!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I've been two years in a row now and had a great time (despite not actually being able to race this past year due to mechanicals :( ) The DH course isn't extrememly technical, but I still had fun on it (until having to pedal near the bottom...:p ). I will caution though that the lines for practice (other than Pro/Semi) can get looong (at both the start gate and for the shuttle back up.) I would recommend at least having someone shuttle you to avoid one of the two lines.

Walking around the expo area and seeing and meeting a bunch of people is what makes is a lot of fun though. I think it's a race that everyone should go to at least once to check out. Not to mention it's cool to see some of the guys and gals race who are now "retired".

T. EAKIN

Chimp
Feb 18, 2002
T...Town
It is a great experience..... OK racing, Great people and more companies present compaired to nationals. If you have not been, you should go.....