Quantcast

Sea Otter XC- New course is a monster

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
I've been riding the new Sea Otter XC course the last few weeks and I advise anyone who is gonna ride the beast to get down here to pre-ride the course a bunch. And bring your climbing legs. There is one very tuff climb (BLM Trail #82) at about the end of the first 1/3 of the course that is really eye opening. The 3 Sisters are done backward after climbing up Pilarcitos to Skyline to Outhouse Trail. The last 1/3 of the course from the bottom of Engineer Rd./Jack's Peak Rd. junction all the way back up to Laguna Seca is at least a 20 minute grinding climb coming at the end of all the single track climbing that came before. There's undoubtedly gonna be some really tired and demoralized ppl on this ride. Did I mention the 2 sand pit descents (trails 60 and 35)? The carnage in there is gonna be fun.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
Heath Sherratt said:
I thought is was supposed to be easier? What's what?
easier? er.... no. I'm not saying the Marquis De Sade designed the course... but maybe his cousin :) Luckily I'm not riding the thing during the event cos I'm doing the Tierra Bella road century up in Gilroy the day before. I'll be working in the info booth as a volunteer on Sunday of Sea Otter and taking breaks to go out there, cowbell in hand, to cheer the XC riders on. I've been training on it with some buds from my 24 hr. team who are hell bent on knowing every turn on the course so they can make the podium in their age bracket.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
Try this link:
http://www.seaotterclassic.com/event_detail.asp?EventID=12#maps

The course is pretty well marked with BLM trail numbers. Anyone can pre-ride the course during day light hours. The only part that right now cannot be accessed is the last bit back up to the race track and the race track itself. Bring your hard tail if you have one. All the climbing suits that choice better than a dual suspension bike imo.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Anyone want to do a fast paced ride of the SOC course this upcoming weekend?

Saturday or Sunday. Can carpool from San Jose area or I can pick you up further south.

Gotta test out the course, see if it is SS friendly and how much I'm going to suffer.

The Ito

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
black noise said:
Cliffster, do you want to brave the firing range and take a peek at the DH course?
Sorry man, haven't even thought about the DH course in a couple of years. Seems like the folks who lay out the course also toughened that baby up about a year or so ago. If memory serves correct, a bunch of folks were ticked off about the practice shuttle system they had in place. Lots and lots of ppl are out there during the practice days with long waits to run the course.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
It's to the right just as you come into Laguna Seca, at the top of the little hill, and I don't think so. Maybe but I wouldn't want to try.

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
DO NOT POACH THE DOWNHILL!!!!. The range is less than 500 yards away from the upper most part, or first jump straight. Plus next to the public range is a law enforcement range with different hours of operation, and that range is even closer to different sections of the course. You will probably be ticketed for tresspassing, and possibly (likely) be banned from the property.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
F.O.G said:
DO NOT POACH THE DOWNHILL!!!!. The range is less than 500 yards away from the upper most part, or first jump straight. Plus next to the public range is a law enforcement range with different hours of operation, and that range is even closer to different sections of the course. You will probably be ticketed for tresspassing, and possibly (likely) be banned from the property.

Not to mention the possibility of unintentionally getting in on the wrong end of target practice...we don't want any monkeys getting Cheney'd. :eek: :)

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
OGRipper said:
Not to mention the possibility of unintentionally getting in on the wrong end of target practice...we don't want any monkeys getting Cheney'd. :eek: :)
But it's harder to hit a moving target right? Right?

I wanted to take a look at the course since this would be the first year I was going to ride it, but I think maybe I'll wait til seaotter, riding with kevlar on can get hot fast :dead: