Quantcast

Sea Otter

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I've got disc brakes, and fenders. I just need a better attitude I guess. :) I need to accept the fact that it's going to be muddy and wet and deal with it.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
Shrymp, I didn't know you were going to the Otter!! Yay! We should take some runs down together. Any of you ladies racing expert? I'm in the expert 19-29 (hoping my time will be good enough to put myself into pro for the 1st national). So far there are 7 registered in that class (inc. me) but I only recognize one or two other names (I think the NorCal girls are coming out to represent)!

As for Sea Otter...it's totally fun, fast, and relatively smooth as far as a downhill is concerned. A smaller bike would work, but I didn't find the dh bike (I have an m3) to be too much...in fact, I like the stability it gives me at speed.

As far as tires...2.3 MAX!! No need for the big treads. And of course, I'll be running my fave, the Kenda Nevegal.

Hope to meet some of you all up there. I'll be wearing my team issue, BRIGHT green TLD camo...you *can't* miss me cuz it's brighter than a glow stick! See you all this weekend!

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
thePINKster said:
how'd ya know i was so young?

and i wouldnt be too sure. i've been humbled quite a bit, and have learned to never underestimate the competition...

let's just say, i'm SUPER nervous for sea otter's DH comp.
ummmm....because of all your links and it's not hard to figure out who you are when you clarify yourself as Chrissie...:)

don't be nervous...just have fun...

okay, I will warn you...that Kjersten girl from Canada that's in your 18 and under class...that girl trains like you wouldn't believe and enters xc/dh races all the time...she posts pics on Pinkbike in the girls section a lot...but I'm sure you'll be able to pass her on the way down...just thought I'd give you a heads up on your competition...good luck girl!!! you'll be fine...

and one thing I've learned in life...never let them know how smart you really are, or how fast you can actually ride your bike...:)

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
amydalayna said:
i hope that's the case. but then again... what if gnarly rocky courses are my strong suit???? nervous.
and i'm hoping that the sadness of northstar not opening this season doesn't slow me down.
I hear ya....I can go faster down a gnarly, rocky mountain where I am pulled by gravitation rather than a slightly sloped smooth hill where I have to actually use my legs to pedal a lot...hmmm...wonder why??

I thought the whole northstar thing was an April fool's joke...but I didn't keep up on it...

you can always come over on this side of the mountains and ride shasta, boozetown, and a secret shasta trail with me anytime this spring/summer...

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
zoey said:
I've got disc brakes, and fenders. I just need a better attitude I guess. :) I need to accept the fact that it's going to be muddy and wet and deal with it.
just think of it as being a kid and your mom told you NOT to go and ride in the mud...so what are you gonna go have fun doing?? :)

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
goodtobeIrie said:
I thought the whole northstar thing was an April fool's joke...but I didn't keep up on it...

you can always come over on this side of the mountains and ride shasta, boozetown, and a secret shasta trail with me anytime this spring/summer...
i totally had not faith in the northstar rumor, but then i called... and they said that they might not open this summer. bummer.
i went every sunday last summer. totally helped me become a better ride.

i will definitely take you up on the offer.... and if you want to do some shuttle runs out this way, lemme know. lots of fun to be had when the snow melts!

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
goodtobeIrie said:
ummmm....because of all your links and it's not hard to figure out who you are when you clarify yourself as Chrissie...:)

don't be nervous...just have fun...

okay, I will warn you...that Kjersten girl from Canada that's in your 18 and under class...that girl trains like you wouldn't believe and enters xc/dh races all the time...she posts pics on Pinkbike in the girls section a lot...but I'm sure you'll be able to pass her on the way down...just thought I'd give you a heads up on your competition...good luck girl!!! you'll be fine...

and one thing I've learned in life...never let them know how smart you really are, or how fast you can actually ride your bike...:)
oh dang.. i was actually nervous about the other girl essence.
the tensions have been heightened. thanks for the heads up

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Howdy ladies!

Well, I'm actually not going to race DH this year, but I'm going to race singlespeed XC. I just built up a new 29" wheel singlespeed, so I'm going to go slog around through the mud for 17 miles or so. I'll miss ya'll on the DH course, but the whole practice situation at that race drives me batty, so I'm going to sit it out.

Shrymp and Steph...you guys will have to come by the Haro pits and see my new custom PINK cross-country bike. It's so cool...even the guys are drooling over it!

Safe travels, everyone! :)

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
The Sea Otter DH is probably best suited for a full suspension slalom bike, or a trail bike like an Enduro. Full DH is a bit too much for the flat and pedal sections. Honestly, my best finish there was on my Azonic DS-1 slalom bike. Have fun ladies and good luck to you all!

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
dhjill said:
Howdy ladies!

Well, I'm actually not going to race DH this year, but I'm going to race singlespeed XC. I just built up a new 29" wheel singlespeed, so I'm going to go slog around through the mud for 17 miles or so. I'll miss ya'll on the DH course, but the whole practice situation at that race drives me batty, so I'm going to sit it out.

Shrymp and Steph...you guys will have to come by the Haro pits and see my new custom PINK cross-country bike. It's so cool...even the guys are drooling over it!

Safe travels, everyone! :)
Woo hoo! Thumbs up on the pinkie:) Dan and I will definitely come over and visit...how ironic that last year we had no place to hang, but this year Dan's got the Mongoose pit, I have the Intense pit, and we have some super cool friends in the Haro and Sponsorhouse pits. Amazing how connected we have become :)

When are you arriving? When will you be in the pits?

See you soon...

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
thePINKster said:
oh dang.. i was actually nervous about the other girl essence.
the tensions have been heightened. thanks for the heads up

i wouldn't count essence out either...she trains a lot and beat me two or three times already this year (and i'm twice her age). but you know what, when you're up on the top of the hill, it's all about you...just remember that! :thumb:

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
stephanie said:
but you know what, when you're up on the top of the hill, it's all about you...just remember that! :thumb:
those are some great words of wisdom. we all race for our own reasons, but i know that alot of us race because we want to push ourselves
and know that we as an individual are riding as hard as we can.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
amydalayna said:
those are some great words of wisdom. we all race for our own reasons, but i know that alot of us race because we want to push ourselves
and know that we as an individual are riding as hard as we can.
i agree. this year, it being my second year racing, i've started to turn my focus from "making it down to the finish line fast" to refining one or two skills at a time. i feel like having a focus keeps me centered enough to keep from choking (most of the time:rolleyes: )

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
stephanie said:
i've started to turn my focus from "making it down to the finish line fast" to refining one or two skills at a time.
that brings up a good question for everyone. why do you race?
in no specific order... i race because

I like to be part of the event
I enjoy the friends i make at races
Doing well does wonders for my self-esteem
To get over my fear of racing
To get over my fear of losing
To get faster
I love to reward myself after a race with tasty treats and some beer

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
amydalayna said:
that brings up a good question for everyone. why do you race?
in no specific order... i race because

I like to be part of the event
I enjoy the friends i make at races
Doing well does wonders for my self-esteem
To get over my fear of racing
To get over my fear of losing
To get faster
I love to reward myself after a race with tasty treats and some beer

good question...mostly, for me racing bikes is the sport i've excelled at most...i've done lots of sports (soccer, track, running, martial arts) and biking has given the most satisfaction of any of them because:

*it is SO challenging...mentally, physically, etc. to consistently push oneself to higher levels, and then reach and surpass those levels is immensely fulfilling.

*i've traveled to so many cool places i might never have seen...and to find out that places i've seen only in photos are so much better is a cool feeling.

*to quote tyler klassen (i think that's who said this at the beginning of "The Collective") "mountain biking has given me the best friends in the world". sure, i have other friends who don't bike, but there's nothing like communing with someone who shares your passion. how many of us have launched into a story about ripping down an awesome trail or hitting a jump/drop/line that has scared us only to have our non-biking friends give you that nod (you know, the one that shows they are listening but cannot relate)?!

*i love to compete.

*it keeps me in shape and motivates me to keep in shape. whenever i'm running mile 5 of my training runs, i remind myself how it's benefitting my riding.

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
i race because....

-> i love it.. period
-> i love the friends i've made thru it. we've had crazy fun times
-> i like being able to show up some cocky guys... that is ALWAYS fun
-> i want to prove that girls can be fast, and girly
*only a few

okay girls, i'm out and off to the raceway.. see you all out there. I'll be the one racing in a Pink Skirt, on the red tazer.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
thePINKster said:
i race because....

-> i love it.. period
-> i love the friends i've made thru it. we've had crazy fun times
-> i like being able to show up some cocky guys... that is ALWAYS fun
-> i want to prove that girls can be fast, and girly
*only a few

okay girls, i'm out and off to the raceway.. see you all out there. I'll be the one racing in a Pink Skirt, on the red tazer.
sweet...i don't leave til tomorrow...

i have a red tazer too, but it's an 03 (and i'll be leaving it at home for this one).

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Ugh. Saturday morning was not a finer moment for me on a bike. practice was DISGUSTING. I splipped so hard on that bridge at the end that I thought I broke my thumb.
Anyone have any good pics?

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
it was good to meet everyone. yes, the race was fun, even though it was muddy and rainy. i actually really enjoyed my race run...when i was at the top, i just thought about getting to the bottom like i was out riding for fun...and it seemed to have worked. i will post some pics once i download them.:)

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I had a great time watching the downhillers. Some of those muddy sections were killers-poor kids losing their shoes! I suffered through the XC course, and am still recovering today. Those hills were wicked! I'm glad I did it, and REALLY glad it's over.