Quantcast

Sea Tac Shuffle-How was your race?

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Well it was Veni, Vidi, Vici sort of. We came, we saw and we conquered.
The weather was great and the trail except for a little mud was in ok shape.
Wanker and I were there with our hardtails racing sport. I didnt meet Matty from WWU but he was there also. The race went off at 1130 with the men racing separate from the women-bummer. I looked back after the first turn and I was in last place. After the second turn I was in third to last place and order was restored to the world. I continued to move up and was leading my age group at the end of two laps. Then I slipped back into second after a spill which is where I ended. :o:
Wanker was first place :) :thumb: and maybe first place overall-Wick doesnt keep time so comparison is impossible. I saw Matty finished right outside the money. I am not sure on the number of racers but it looked to be about 300 through all the classes.
Great race on a tight, twisty course. Wick has done a nice job in making a 5.5 mile race course in a fairly small area. Anyone else out there?

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I was well into the money... Until disaster struck. I only walked to the finish to make sure I got points. I got a rear pinch flat on the stairs. I was running too low pressure. I could feel my rear rim bashing into every root.

The gun went off and I took the hole shot. Me and some other guy traded the lead for the first 15 minutes or so. Then 2 guys got ahead of me because of my lack of technical skills (ridden my mtb only 5 times or so since last july). So I was in 3rd I think with a huge margin over the chasers. Then I got a flat tire on the last lap and walked to the finish (yeah I'm too stupid to carry a spare tube).

My teammate who finished 5th or 6th didn't catch up to me until over 20 minutes after I started walking. We had a huge gap at the front... I walked for 45 minutes to get to that finish line. The last place dude in sport 19-29 passed me right before the finish. So I pulled the DFL... I did the exact same thing at squillchucker last year. flatted and walked in for the DFL... I swear that next race I'm carrying a tube and c02.

It was a good race nonetheless. It let me know that my fitness is as good or better than everyone else in sport (i've got lots of road miles in), but it also let me know that my major weakness is technical riding and downhills (which is where the two dudes gapped me by 30 seconds)...

So I'm gonna start riding my mountain bike again and hope I have better skills for the mudder. I'm determined to win the mudder then repeat my win at the padden pedal.... Either that or upgrade if I ever find some skills!!!!!

fun race. The course was awesome. And thanks goes out to the free riders for letting us ride up your downhills!!!!

This course reminded me a lot of the whidby mudder course. That course is totally twisty and turny with killer short uphills. But the mudder has 1 sustained uphill and 1 long super fast downhill.
See you all there!

Great time....I went off just behind the the sport class with 14 single speeds!!!! Huge class for SS. Very competative racing, except for the Christian (semi-pro) that decided to race in the SS class using a 47X17!!!! Yeah...he was in his his own class. As for the rest of us, I finished 7th, just ahead of 8th. I beleive 3rd - 8th all finished within 45 seconds. Very close racing. Course was in great shape, good times!!

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
There is always the next race to redeem your self, plus you got the Padden Pedal still to come-nice race to stomp on the out of towners. You did pretty good considering you had to walk a good part of the last lap. That was a tight course and passing was a little difficult. It was easy to get lulled into a slower pace, especially if you got caught in some traffic.