Quantcast

Sealed Bearing>Bolt On

cowman

Monkey
Oct 17, 2004
Seattle, WA
Can a sealed bearing hub be converted to a bolt on axel?
I have a diatech rear hub that I would like to change to bolt on and I was told that it cannot be done. (Diatech disc hub: sealed bearings, 8/9sp cassette, 135OL)

WV Hippy

Chimp
May 20, 2004
I would contact Diatech. Alot of people seem to think that if they've never seen it, it can't be done. The manufacturer will tell you for sure. I know for a fact you can do it with an XT QR hub. I ran one in my old Gack frame for a while. Iwas very happy with it, and it was resonably inexpensive. If you're looking for a decent sealed bearing bolt in hub I would look at the Gusset Jury hub. I haven't put a whole lot of time on mine but it seem's like high quality stuff. If I remember correctly it was one of the cheaper sealed bearing hubs. It has a 14mm axle with 10mm flats.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
I have a diatech hub, and I am going to step out on a limb and say it is possible... however it might... well it WILL be hard finding a new axle to work though. you could always just go to your local bike shop. and get a new hub. ya it will be more money, and you'll have to rebuild the wheel, but it would be worth it in my opinion.
you runing single speed? if you are then look at something like a surly, or ask your local bike shop about a single speed disc hub that's in the J+B importers catalog. its made by rockworks and is pretty cheap.