Quantcast

Seashepherd

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Thinking about signing up as crew member on board of one of their boats. Since I have 5 months off every winter I figured I could make myself usefull for a month or two sometime in stead of just surfing and drinking beer.

Anyone have any experiance with their organisation? I realise being on a boat for two months aint gonna be no pleasure cruise, but I think it would be an awesome experiance...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
life experience check list does not include being run down by a whaling ship.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not a lot of good riding on a boat.

Sounds like it could be a fun adventure, just don't end up getting corn-holed in a Japanese prison.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
You all make very valid points.
Fortunately ive never been one to listen to reason and therefore my life has been better (id say) but certainly more interesting then most peoples.

Ive been following them for some time and i have a lot of respect and admiration for what they do. And as much as I love to surf and drink beer for 4 months on an island in the Caribean again, this id has popped into my head recently and i cant seem to let it go...

So all ridemonkey asshattery aside (which is ofcourse also appreciated), nobody has actual experiance with them?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Most Seaman are from Poland and Lithuania so without the ability to communicate you will come up short. That and they will break back for almost nothing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have no experience with these folks but I have been in two different countries where whale meat is readily available. I will probably watch people eat the stuff in Iceland. I will not partake, have to draw the line somewhere. I will shoot disapproving glances.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Sounds like a bunch of Sea Skeptics.

Why not just go to Alaska and work on a crab or fishing boat for the season. You'll be on a big boat at sea with a bunch of people you don't know and make some $ too!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You should definitely go do that. I'll keep your beer fridge stocked on the beach, for your return. Someone has to do that, right?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You should definitely go do that. I'll keep your beer fridge stocked on the beach, for your return. Someone has to do that, right?
I don't think a beach on Lake Ontario amidst a cloud of midge flies is what anyone was talking about.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Libertarians and Tea Baggers with a penchant for the ocean could join up with the Pirates of the Somalian Coast.
I love it. A pirate ship re badged as USS Palin engaging the Freewinds in a naval battle about Scientology's tax exempt status.

No matter who loses, we win.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I love it. A pirate ship re badged as USS Palin engaging the Freewinds in a naval battle about Scientology's tax exempt status.

No matter who loses, we win.
From a political point of view, Somalia is tea-bagger heaven. No federal anything, open carry everywhere.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
could join the other side

Not going to lie, that looks tasty.

As far as the Sea Sheapard goes, I always saw it as a way for rich white kids to feel like they're making a difference while on summer break without having to go somewhere dirty and do manual labor. It's all fun and games until Captain Dickweed gets a couple kids killed ramming a whaling boat.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not going to lie, that looks tasty.

As far as the Sea Sheapard goes, I always saw it as a way for rich white kids to feel like they're making a difference while on summer break without having to go somewhere dirty and do manual labor. It's all fun and games until Captain Dickweed gets a couple kids killed ramming a whaling boat.

I was always terrified by their lack of seamanship. Good thing they are willing to die for the cause.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I read an article that the head dickbag of seashepard has to live at sea permanently because he's violated so many laws
why is he a dickhead? because hes standing up for laws that others wont defend? or because its the cool thing to hate activist who make a difference? hes also not barred to the ocean for life. theres only a few countries that he cant go to because of corrupt governments

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
could join the other side
Great to be on the other side violating international law and poisoning your customers at the same time (The Sea Shepherds can't do both like the Japanese can) . Karma, or rather biomagnification, is a b*tch.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16159-faroe-islanders-told-to-stop-eating-toxic-whales/

Chief medical officers of the Faroe Islands have recommended that pilot whales no longer be considered fit for human consumption, because they are toxic – as revealed by research on the Faroes themselves.

The remote Atlantic islands, situated between Scotland and Iceland, have been one of the last strongholds of traditional whaling, with thousands of small pilot whales killed every year, and eaten by most Faroese.

Anti-whaling groups have long protested, but the Faroese argued that whaling is part of their culture – an argument adopted by large-scale whalers in Japan and Norway.

But today in a statement to the islanders, chief medical officers Pál Weihe and Høgni Debes Joensen announced that pilot whale meat and blubber contains too much mercury, PCBs and DDT derivatives to be safe for human consumption.

“It is with great sadness that this recommendation is provided,” they said. “The pilot whale has kept many Faroese alive through the centuries.”

But in “a bitter irony”, they said, research on the impact of the pollutants on the Faroese themselves has shown that mercury, especially, causes lasting damage.

The work has revealed damage to fetal neural development, high blood pressure, and impaired immunity in children, as well as increased rates of Parkinson’s disease, circulatory problems and possibly infertility in adults. The Faroes data renewed concerns about low-level mercury exposures elsewhere.

The medical officers note that it wasn’t the Faroese who created the pollution. But “these results have already led to tightened restrictions on pollution worldwide. We must therefore also ourselves acknowledge the consequences.”

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
why is he a dickhead? because hes standing up for laws that others wont defend? or because its the cool thing to hate activist who make a difference? hes also not barred to the ocean for life. theres only a few countries that he cant go to because of corrupt governments
it was an article on the internet. don't be so angry. i can picture you crushing a breakfast sandwich while reading this thread.