Quantcast

Season in whistler

Had

Chimp
Mar 15, 2010
I’m planning on heading out there for the summer in 2011. I will be heading out mid June and coming back at the end of September, might head to Tofino first to do a bit of surfing.

Just had a couple of questions:

I don’t want to travel all the way to Canada just to ride, any sites I should build into the trip? As I said I want to head to Tofino for a bit and I’d also want to chill in Vancouver as its meant to be a great city. Doubt it can compare to London though.

Secondly what sort of bike would I need to ride everything out there? I’ve got an 08 sx trail with lyriks atm and thinking of either chucking some domains/totems on the front and see how it goes or to go for something more DH orientated.

I want to be able to ride anything, though i've got a bmx background so I do like jumping and im not the biggest fan of peddling. I was thinking of a demo 7/demo 8, giant faith/glory, cove std.

Ideally I want to pick something up s/h and I see demo's pop up every now and again. I might be able to stretch to something new if I could get decent money for mine.

Leaning towards a demo 7 / faith as it would be more suited to UK riding when I get back. But if i'm going to have more fun on something longer travel then I'll go that route. Probably the only chance i will get to do a season so want to do it right!

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
For what it's worth, my buddy absolutely killed all of Whistler Bike Park last summer on an '05 Sx Trail, pretty stock. We didn't hit any of the 'shore or anything else, though. He said he may borrow a full on DH ride this next time around, simply for the comfort factor.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
As a do-it-all bike you've already got exactly what you need. Maybe get a burlier fork if that's what you're after but there is virtually nothing in Whistler you can't ride on that thing - maybe some of the climbs in the valley trails would be hard but unless all you're doing is DH, I don't reckon you're likely to find a bike that's going to suit you better.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
There's plenty of riding outside of Whistler. Woodlot/North Shore/Squamish/Pemberton are all local. Your bike is well suited to the riding there. I wouldn't trade it for anything else, other than upgrading the forks.

Vancouver is an awesome city. Diversity/food/eye candy/recreational opportunities are second to none (not even London), and the cultural life is not too shabby too. Tofino is nice, but it's kinda over done. If you don't mind living in a tent, find Sombrio beach for a more down to earth west coast surf experience. If you like to hike, try the west coast trail (at that time of year you'd have to reserve your dates). There's plenty of world class climbing around there too (Squamish in particular), and sea kayaking is second to none. Squamish has some awesome windsurfing I've been told. There's good kayaking/whitewater too. Honestly, there's no shortage of things to see and do out there if you're into the outdoors. It's more a question of narrowing it down than finding the highlights...

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
As he says above, summer in BC is awesome, just pick your activity and there will be somewhere to do it. Vancouver in the summer is primo too... Kits beach is generally packed full of some of the best looking women that I've ever had the pleasure to lay my eyes upon. Some of the places to hit up at Kelowna and the Okanagan for life on the lake, wake boarding, fresh fruit and wine... head to Banff/Jasper to get the full rockies experience, Kamloops to ride and then Whistler/Pemberton. Honestly there's no lack of places to visit and hangout/ride.

I moved to BC 9 years ago from the UK and I'm still not looking to go back any time soon.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Welcome to the forum.

I gotta say I envy you. I take short trips to Whistler and to this day, haven't been out of the bike park. (Not that that's a bad thing...) I've ridden mid-travel bikes in the park and it's super fun. The only time I felt really limited was on the gnarlier Garbanzo trails and some of the rocky lower trails. Otherwise, your current bike is great for the area.

Saying that, a whole season there will probably destroy it. If I was you, plan on a lot of excess capital to purchase new derailleurs, rims, tires ect. The bike park can eat bikes in a matter of hours if you have poor luck. Cheers.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Buy used here. Demo would be fine. Even a Kona of some sort would do for a summer - sell it for pretty much what you buy it for. To be honest, if you are not a full on plow style rider, the SX and a Lyrik should be enough, but it will get beat to sh*t. Broken parts/frames/riders are not a question of "if" so much a question of "when" and "how bad" (or perhaps "again?") here. That having been said, the riding here is NOT like the riding anywhere else. A "Blue" (intermediate) trail here would be off the charts just about everywhere else. It is not quite so bad in Whistler proper (at least in the park), but I assume you will want to give the Shore a try.

Vancouver is not as large as London, but there is no lack of things to do/see here. If you are like most people, you'll find your time here too short.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Broken parts/frames/riders are not a question of "if" so much a question of "when" and "how bad" (or perhaps "again?") here. That having been said, the riding here is NOT like the riding anywhere else. A "Blue" (intermediate) trail here would be off the charts just about everywhere else. It is not quite so bad in Whistler proper (at least in the park), but I assume you will want to give the Shore a try.
Ah come on, anyone who's ever ridden off-road at all before would be fine on any of the blue runs in Whistler. Some of the single black runs are surprisingly easy, some have properly difficult/scary sections in them, but the double blacks are where things get really interesting. Weird that Schleyer is a double black whereas In Deep is a single though... Schleyer is a way easier track to ride!

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Don't underestimate the trails though... they may seem easy but it's not hard to hurt yourself pretty bad. Combine the speed with fatigue and throw in some trees and you can do some decent damage on the 'easy' trails.

Also the trails in the valley and all around BC deserve some respect.. often you are in areas that are tough to get to and the trails themselves are challenging. Basically, don't ride alone and be prepared.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Ah come on, anyone who's ever ridden off-road at all before would be fine on any of the blue runs in Whistler. Some of the single black runs are surprisingly easy, some have properly difficult/scary sections in them, but the double blacks are where things get really interesting. Weird that Schleyer is a double black whereas In Deep is a single though... Schleyer is a way easier track to ride!
Gah! Who pays attention to those colors and symbols anyway?

(In Deep does have more pucker factor...)

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Yeah...that is weird. I never noticed that. The lower part of In Deep is soo much fun.
Yeah it is, definitely one of the coolest trails there. The signs on the actual hill say double black, but all the trail maps say single black. Not sure how they really think In Deep is remotely comparable to say Hornet or Monkey Hands though.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Buy used here. Demo would be fine. Even a Kona of some sort would do for a summer - sell it for pretty much what you buy it for. To be honest, if you are not a full on plow style rider, the SX and a Lyrik should be enough, but it will get beat to sh*t. Broken parts/frames/riders are not a question of "if" so much a question of "when" and "how bad" (or perhaps "again?") here. That having been said, the riding here is NOT like the riding anywhere else. A "Blue" (intermediate) trail here would be off the charts just about everywhere else. It is not quite so bad in Whistler proper (at least in the park), but I assume you will want to give the Shore a try.

Vancouver is not as large as London, but there is no lack of things to do/see here. If you are like most people, you'll find your time here too short.
Mayyyybe, but my mom has fun on all the blue runs at Whistler on the rental Konas and she is 52 years old with virtually zero mountain bike experience, and a real average skier for her age - definitely not an 'X-games mom.' My entire family has fun on Crank it Up - which is why it really is the best mountain bike trail ever made.

Rock the SX Trail, and save your money for Canada's ridiculously expensive booze. Unless you're only trying to pin rocky DH runs, I don't see any reason to run anything bigger than a Lyrik. Some of my best Whistler days have been on 6" bikes with 6" forks, they're just not as good for pounding out laps on Garbanzo. The cool thing with the 6" bike is you can ride anywhere in BC, and BC has an unbelievable amount of riding - even just within 45 minutes of Whistler. I have had a pass at Whistler for the past 7 years, and while I'm over some of the classic park trails, there's so many new ones built all the time, and there is so much riding out of the park, that I keep coming back and coming back to Whistler.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Hey Socket, (WBC too!)
Maybe you missed this part: "It is not quite so bad in Whistler proper (at least in the park), but I assume you will want to give the Shore a try."

The park trails are labeled appropriately, but when was the last time you took a run down Pipeline on Fromme, or Team Pangor on Seymour? Both "blue" trails, both the cause of uncontrollable muscle spasms (especially in the nether regions) in people not used to riding in BC.

In Deep is an awesome trail. Especially when wet.

EDIT: I have never run anything but a 6x6 setup, even at Whistler. In fact, I run a Lyrik (air). Going to go big bike this year though.

Last edited: