Quantcast

(season photos) thread suggestion

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
I don't know if its too late, but I would like to suggest that all of the pictures that are posted in the "2008 season photos" thread be coded as thumbnails. I know on some forums this is actually done automaticly..

It's just that Im on DSL and it still takes a bit to load those monster pictures, and it gets a bit annoying when you want to see the new pictures and have to wait for the whole page to load.
:imstupid:

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i say individual threads should be made and approved with pictures in them, once approved they should be locked and the links will be put onto a list in the pictures thread. sort through the list of pictures by date and find the most recent. requests for individual pictures should be denied because not only is that rude, it is also a waste of things to scroll threw. as a photographer nothing made me more aggravated then when someone requested pictures after i posted a few.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I don't know if its too late, but I would like to suggest that all of the pictures that are posted in the "2008 season photos" thread be coded as thumbnails. I know on some forums this is actually done automaticly..

It's just that Im on DSL and it still takes a bit to load those monster pictures, and it gets a bit annoying when you want to see the new pictures and have to wait for the whole page to load.
:imstupid:
I definitely understand your point. The reason some are coded as thumbnails is because they are linked through the user's RM account rather than a photo hosting service, like photobucket, where it's a link to the full-sized photo. I am no computer genious, but I will see if we can do something about that or not. I am guessing probably not though :( Sorry.

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
I definitely understand your point. The reason some are coded as thumbnails is because they are linked through the user's RM account rather than a photo hosting service, like photobucket, where it's a link to the full-sized photo. I am no computer genious, but I will see if we can do something about that or not. I am guessing probably not though :( Sorry.
Oh, I hear you... Like I said it was just a suggestion. As far as the thumnail on other forums, I meant outside ridemonkey. Im on another (non biking) forum and every pic that gets posted, is a thumbnail when the thread/reply is submitted.

I will also see what I can find out.

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Just found this page. It explains how to do automatic thumbnail sizing in PHP. I really don't know much about BB code, but it seems do-able.

I am going to referance this thread as a X-post in support.

TeeDee

Chimp
Apr 30, 2005
JerZey
I vote for individual threads! That just makes more sense to me. I'v gon to the thread and it dont even have a tone of pics on it yet but as more get posted you see its just a bad idea.

Long Live Individual Threads For Pics!!!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You guys can post individual threads for pictures, but we're not going to deal with the extensive moderation involved in approving and locking individual threads, and keeping a list. Absolutely no way. Seriously, it's not that hard to ignore requests for pictures. PSP, dude, you're not exactly a rock star fending off the groupies to get a moment's rest. Just say "no."

In RE: the thumbnailing, the answer was posted in the Support forum under Timekiller's x-post. If the number of images bothers you, just post a request for the people who post the most to limit their images to a few per post. That way it'll split the thread up into multiple pages. You can also reduce the number of posts per page that you view in your preferences as well, to try and cut down on the images loading.

It's a photo thread, it's gonna be big :). I posted a request at the top of it to limit the number of images per post, though, hopefully that'll cut down on the amount of load time.

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Yes I was going to say, posting a suggested limit would probably help substantially.

I would like to suggest and urge people who post in the "photo thread" to whenever possible, code thier pictures as thumbnails. Places such as the ridemonkey photo hosting, along with many places like flickr, photobucket, ect. give you the code for a thumbnail link.