Quantcast

Seatac Race Report-Anyone else do it?

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I finally did one of the Seatac Wednsday races-last night. There were about 85 racers with the numbers spread fairly evenly between Novice, Sport and Expert. Compared to a lot of the races this is definitely a cross-country race and not a "mountain" bike race. I think the highest climb was maybe 50 feet. The course was definitely twisty.
Wick changes the course every week and it looked like in a couple of spots he reversed the normal flow, plus there were a couple of very tight turns. As far as competition this was a very competitive field of bikers. The Sport-Experts ran 6 laps each of which was about 2.5 miles I was on my third or fourth lap when I started to get passed by the lead riders. The fastest riders ran the course in about 10 minutes a lap.
There were two or three women riders there that were very fast. Due to it getting very dark I am guessing about half the riders only did five laps. I was kind of wondering about seeing the trail. Nice skill builder for tight single track. Too bad there isnt a "mountain".

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Sounds like fun.

I'll be doing indie #2 down there on April 24th.

I've only ever raced cyclocross at south seatac... I'm anxious to get out there and get my ass kicked.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
:D
Borregokid said:
I finally did one of the Seatac Wednsday races-last night. There were about 85 racers with the numbers spread fairly evenly between Novice, Sport and Expert. Compared to a lot of the races this is definitely a cross-country race and not a "mountain" bike race. I think the highest climb was maybe 50 feet. The course was definitely twisty.
Wick changes the course every week and it looked like in a couple of spots he reversed the normal flow, plus there were a couple of very tight turns. As far as competition this was a very competitive field of bikers. The Sport-Experts ran 6 laps each of which was about 2.5 miles I was on my third or fourth lap when I started to get passed by the lead riders. The fastest riders ran the course in about 10 minutes a lap.
There were two or three women riders there that were very fast. Due to it getting very dark I am guessing about half the riders only did five laps. I was kind of wondering about seeing the trail. Nice skill builder for tight single track. Too bad there isnt a "mountain".
Those races are all about the "fitness"...they are still fun as long as you don't mind the super serious people that won't let you pass them! I'll stick to may after work rides and just fallow (try to fallow) behind Ethan...that always kicks my butt! Plus, I don't have to pay any $$ for it! :thumb:

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
mattv2099 said:
Sounds like fun.

I've only ever raced cyclocross at south seatac... I'm anxious to get out there and get my ass kicked.
The part about getting your *ss kicked is probably right. There were two or three guys running expert that were fast. I picked up the scoop on the Sea Tac Shuffle. The race day is pretty staggered. The course will be 6 miles.

8:30 Beginner Men and Women-2laps
10 AM-Youth Boys and Girls-2Laps
11:30- Sprt Men, SSers, Clydes- SS and Clydes are open to women-3 laps
1:30- Expert and Sport Women with expert doing 4 laps, and Sport 3.
3:30- Open and Expert Men- 5 Laps.
Race Fee is $30, with no medals except juniors, no swag-however cash payout to all category winners.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
mattv2099 said:
Sounds like fun.

I'm racing the Indie #2 also. I have to redeem myself on that course. I bonked so hard last year at the Battle in Seattle :mumble:

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
MUTOLI said:
:D
Those races are all about the "fitness"...they are still fun as long as you don't mind the super serious people that won't let you pass them! I'll stick to may after work rides and just fallow (try to fallow) behind Ethan...that always kicks my butt! Plus, I don't have to pay any $$ for it! :thumb:
There was some serious speed out there on the course last night from three women bikers. I think one of them ran me over, I didnt get her number. :D I figure its worth the $12 just to see if you are in shape. It was a pretty laid back race though with the race being called with darkness setting in.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
MUTOLI said:
So, what did your $12 prove...in shape, or out of shape? :D
I was kind of wondering that too seeing that maybe 10 people lapped me and I might have only passed two racers during my 80 minutes on the course. Of course that meant I was still on the same lap with about 40 other racers when it was over. I think I got a gentlemans "c". :D
This will be a nice little race to return to when the days are really long.