Quantcast

Seatpost lube for carbon frame?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
What's everybody using? Just extracted a very stuck Reverb from a buddy's Intense, galvanic corrosion did a number on it. Now thinking about what to best protect it with, and also protect my unrideable carbon frame as well. I have carbon paste, but that's supposed to help prevent slippage, seems like it may only add to the issue. I see mixed opinions on grease, but can't really see the issue.

So, what say the Monkey?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't really understand how galvanic corrosion could create a bond to a carbon tube but maybe, you know, science. In any case I've always used carbon paste or gone dry with carbon Santa Cruz frames and have never had an issue. Paste may help prevent both corrosion and slippage.

I've also heard mixed opinions on grease - some say it will eat away at the epoxy, others say that's a remnant from the early days of carbon bikes and that it's not an issue any more. Not all carbon bikes are the same so it may depend. One thing with grease is that to avoid slippage you need tighten the clamp more, which can bind a dropper post.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
I don't really understand how galvanic corrosion could create a bond to a carbon tube but maybe, you know, science.
I'll snap a pic when I get home from work, it's pretty gnarly how much corrosion there is.

Doh, downloaded the manual, and yep, Park grease it is. That may be the first time I've ever seen an actual useful frame manual.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is your butt sweat dripping down the tube or something? I'd apply some grease at the top of the post to form a better seal to the seat tube, to prevent anything from going down there.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My understanding that carbon paste took care of this.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Much google searching lead me to the conclusion that it's galvanic corrosion, wich apearently was a big issue with road bikes when the SOP was no lube, no grease and carbon paste didn't exist yet.

The corrosion also appears to be only on the bottom half of the post, would think ass sweat would be the other way around.

Attachments

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
On a similar note. Don't store an aluminum roadbike with a titanium seat post by hanging it off the railing of a boat over seawater if you ever want to adjust said seatpost.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I was about to argue that it's not galvanic corrosion, but decided to do my homework before shooting off my keyboard and found this. Learn something new every day. This would apply to any interface between carbon and aluminum on a bike.
I used to work in a high end road shop that sold a bunch of Cervelos. Some of their early carbon frames had issues with the aluminum insert used for the bottom bracket threads corroding and ultimately coming loose and creaking. We cut one out of a broken frame for fun, and the amount of corrosion on it was staggering.