Quantcast

seatpost material

S

Sniper

in terms of rigid seatposts, anyone know if there is a difference in ride quality between an aluminum seatpost and and say carbon or titanium, or is it just a matter of strength?

B-Loco

Chimp
Aug 13, 2001
South Florida
Al and TI will feel different. Ti will absorb some of the shocks better. I've never ridden a Ti seatpost on a mtn bike, but it feels very nice on a road bike. I couldn't really notice any difference in the stiffness, but the ride was more comfy.

With carbon, I would assume it would be more flexy than al, but also more comfortable. I have a carbon handlebar and I can see that sucker flexing when I pull up too hard. It does soak up the bumps though. So I guess a carbon seatpost would do the same. If you are thinking about getting one of these stay away from the easton carbon one. Plently of unhappy people with that one.

hope that helps - i'm sure somebody will be able to explain the actual strength differences much better than me.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
A Ti post should be a lot more flexy than an aluminum one. I had a Syncros Ti which is very light and it moved about an inch or more at the top. I don't think my Thomson moves that much. I had a carbon Titec a few years ago and it wasn't flexy like Ti. Felt like an aluminum post but then it had an aluminum insert inside. The head came unglued from the post as did most of those I'm told.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Al=cheap, moderately light and strong, easy to size and replace.
ride can be rigid at times as the al posts don't flex much at all.

Ti=heavier that Al but much stronger allowing use of less material, expensive, usually limited in sizes requiring shims for off-size tube diameters, plush flex qualities, did I say expensive?
Ride is plush and fluid. Absorbs a lot of energy from the trail taht normally is absorbed by your lower back. Available in lie-back, or set-back versions to "adjust" top tube length. :D :D

Carbon=comprably light as Ti, VERY strong, Extremely rigid, usually limited in sizes requiring shims for off-size tube diameters, less expensive than Ti, benefit is WEIGHT not ride.
Ride is very unforgiving and rigid. Use Carbon to lighten a bike not make it more comfortable. (Looks cool)

(Magnessium) currently not available in seatpost yet (to my knowledge), but would be a great idea since it has similar qualities of Ti with half the retail cost.

S

Sniper

thanks for all the info, guys. that will really help in my decision to replace that coda suspension post that came on my bike.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Originally posted by thatoneguy
Both Ti and carbon snap, making for a sharp object hurling after you in a crash. Aluminum will just bend...
Yeah right. Like the head that debonded and snapped off my Syncros aluminum post. or the head that snapped off Chucks aluminum post on his old Floval Flyer and resulted in numerous stiches. Aluminum can break and leave a nasty ragged end as well as any Ti or Carbon. Cheap aluminum is probably more likely to bend but not more expensive alloys of aluminum. I'd bet that a titanium post is more likely to bend than snap too. Its pretty flexible stuff. Thing is anything can be broken.

M

MuDHoG

from what I gather the denser the materila the less vibration you'll feel from the trail......something like that..never really noticed a diff. though.....:D

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
there is more flex in your seat
than a post. unless it is super long.
if it is oversized get carbon 30.9^.
other wise stick to Alum. for mtb.

road definatly carbon. major shock
dampining. only if it is an all carbon shaft.
not a foux carbon wrap.

bcdbcd.com:)