Quantcast

Seatpost questions

J

JRB

I want to get a seatpost, but have a couple of questions. I traded a straight thomson for a setback, but failed to ask if the setback was a road post. Well it was. However, no worries, I traded it for a road stem and Wumpus can use it on his road bike. Well, I still need a post with a little offset. Here's the deal. Thomson has a 330mm and a 410mm, but only the 330mm is in stock. I can order the other one for $70, but will have to wait and won't have it for my trip. It has 16mm of offset. I am also considering the Salsa shaft, but don't know anyone that has one. They are 23mm of offset, not being called set back really. The only reviews that are bad on mtbr(I know, take that with a grain of salt) are one bending and one's finish. I could care less about finish, but don't want it to bend. It looks like I can get the Salsa for $40 instead of $70. What do you monkeys think? I know thomson is good stuff, but most salsa is as well.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco said:
but only the 330mm is in stock
In stock where?

Have you checked other online retailers to see if you can find some stock somewhere? Lots and lots of online retailers carry Thomson stuff.

I'm a sucker for nicely machined hardware and probably won't ever have another seatpost that's not a Thomson. Simple, strong, light - what more can you ask?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
maybe one of those mtbr posts is mine. i did bend one, got a replacement (via warranty, although the guy said he wouldn't warranty another one), and bent that. so i went w/ thomson from here-on out.

i'm not sold on the thomson offset post though - i like to be able to stash the whole post if i need to. race face is another one, but the XY had a pretty poor clamping mechanism which wouldn't always hold the seat in one position.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
I'm a sucker for nicely machined hardware and probably won't ever have another seatpost that's not a Thomson. Simple, strong, light - what more can you ask?
if you aren't too concerned w/ weight, the bontrager post is a lot cheaper and just as well designed, imo.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
In stock where?
Doh - I see that Universal has it for $75 and shows available. I am wondering if I want more set back though. I do own several Thomson posts and like them. I am even dumb enough to have traded a 330mm set back on my Salsa when I sold it. I am riding a Titec right now, that has some set back and like it. I feel it flex though and that is creepy. Bummer to hear Narlus bent 2 salsa posts. I was hoping they would work.

J

JRB

narlus said:
if you aren't too concerned w/ weight, the bontrager post is a lot cheaper and just as well designed, imo.
They do appear to be nice, and can't weigh much more than the Thomson. :think:

J

JRB

Does anyone know Webcyclery's hours??? I would like to call and see if they have one. They don't list set back on their site though.

J

JRB

Universal matched go-ride for the 410mm set back and they are in stock. It leaves today and will be here on Wednesday. I always like that Mike fellow at Universal. He told me the Salsa would work fine, but offered to make it a $20 difference, making the Thomson hard to pass up. :thumb:

J

JRB

stoney98 said:
loco-
As much as I hate you, I would pity the fool who breaks a seatpost unexpectedly. Buy a Thomson, for the love of your junk.
Yup - the thomson is on its way.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
loco said:
Not enough set back or pimpy adjustments.
i beg to differ on your uninformed statement on the adjustability of the Ritchy and if your looking for more set back i suggest either a shorter stem or one of the easton carbon fiber posts they are nice

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
how sad. i was expecting someone to post about Larry @ MountainHigh Cyclery. i've been spending too much time on MTBR.

J

JRB

Hello Kitty said:
i beg to differ on your uninformed statement on the adjustability of the Ritchy and if your looking for more set back i suggest either a shorter stem or one of the easton carbon fiber posts they are nice
I looked at the EA70s for set back, but I figured for less money the Thomson is better. If the Ritchey has the little micro teeth, it does not adjust as well as a Thomson. I have to say that I wanted the salsa, but after Tim said he bent 2 and Mike said to go with Thomson, I just had to. Not knocking Ritchey, they are nice. I don't want carbon due to imperfections in the seat tube. Not worth the gamble. I wish my Dean ti post was set back. Since it is not, it will stay on the road bike.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
how sad. i was expecting someone to post about Larry @ MountainHigh Cyclery. i've been spending too much time on MTBR.
Since I only go for reviews on occasion, you can figure in my time allotted for that site if it helps average it out for you.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i don't even know why i go there. i guess if PinkBike and MTBR are the Satans necessary to prove faith, and you have to choose one, i choose MTBR.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
loco said:
If the Ritchey has the little micro teeth, it does not adjust as well as a Thomson.
the ritchey dosent have the mirco-teeth and the ritchey has infinite adjustment and is light weight and matches my ritchey WCS stem. You’ll like the Thompson I’ve had them in the past and they are worry free.