Quantcast

Seatpost Shims

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I want to add a Thomson seatpost to my bike, but it's got a non-standard 30.4 size. Anyone have experience using seatpost shims? Thomson doesn't make a 30.4 (according to their website), but Cane Creek (pic attached) makes a shim that will convert a 27.2 to a 30.4 Will it work OK or should I try and find another brand in 30.4? :confused:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I've got a shim in for my post.......works fine. Only thong is that the QR has to be tightend a little more.........

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
Thomson's got posts in more sizes than just about anyone. And certainly THE most of all the high-end seat sticks. A $20 Kalloy is the only 30.4 I'm aware of. Using a shim is just fine. Make sure to line up the shim crack with the slot in the frame. The alternative is to use a 30.0 Thomson or the next smaller one, with a sliver of beer can making up the difference. What kinda frame is that anyway?

dorfonbikes

Chimp
Apr 29, 2002
I'm running that exact same setup on my bike and it's working great. I was never a big fan of shims, but the thomson was a flat out winner between my choices. which were either identiti, or raceface. I'm running a 27.2 thomson(for future compatability) and a cane creek 30.4 shim on my identiti dr. jekyll. i've been running it for 5 months now and no slipping, creaking, or problems. i wish i could've used one of the two 30.9 thomsons i had sitting around :)

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Just curious about this - I kind of have my doubts that there are shims for 0.5mm. I have a Roox S4 that's 30.4mm - can I make this work in a 30.9mm seat tube?