Quantcast

Seattle -- Colonnade / I-5 Open Space Mountainbike Project

BBTCJON

Chimp
Jun 7, 2005
WE NEED YOUR HELP!
The Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club (BBTC) http://bbtc.org has reached a pivotal stage in the progression of the Collonade/I-5 Open Space Project. We are very excited for things to come and are gearing up to set the foundation which will help us to complete the project.

Here is a link to the project for those who don't already know...

http://www.bbtc.org/php/show_page.php?page_id=19

BBTC Executive Director, Justin Vander Pol in conjunction with the Colonnade Committee, has been working tirelessly to solidify the plans with the city of Seattle to get this project off the ground (so to speak). The entire team has made great progress in this area and we are now at the point where we need your help.

I am quite aware of many rider's desire to move some dirt and build trails. It is a very exciting project to be a part of and what a neat thing to be able to tell people that you were a part of such a monumental process. All involved should be proud of the part that they play.

But we do have a few teams that could really use some assistance. Aside from a strong volunteer base we want to recruit some team leaders for the following positions:

Teams that need leaders for Colonnade:

1. Financial Management Team: Responsible for tracking and controlling all inflows and outflows of funds for this project. This team will manage the grant contracts and ensure compliance with the grant agreements... as well as track all payment and receivables. (The Financial Management Team has recieved numerous inquiries though we also need help in the following other areas. Not to discourage further help within this area - I am just asking that those who have other skills and/or resources read on!)

2. Procurement Team: Responsible for purchasing materials and
equipment for the project. This team leader needs to be someone good at negotiating free or discounted prices on everything possible. We'll need to buy tools, equipment and materials, which consists of a whole lot of rock. A good portion of our project budget is for rock, so it's important to find someone who can get a lot of this stuff for free/cheap.

3. Fundraising Team: Specific responsibilities will be to work with Justin to conduct a capital campaign for the Colonnade project. The capital campaign will largely consist of email and direct mail sent to mountain bikers and residents near the project. Some phone work might also be part of the campaign. (This team could really use some help... afterall - the more money we can raise, the better our opportunities will be in creating what we all want to see in an urban mountainbike setting!)

As you can see, we really need some assistance in these areas. It's really all about you, the volunteers, stepping up to the plate in clutch times like these that will determine the level of success of this and future BBTC projects.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions, comments, and/or suggestions and I encourage you to seriously think about what you can give to make the Colonnade project a huge success... because it is you and your passion that are the foundation of this organization.

Jon Kennedy
Volunteer Director
Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club (BBTC)
http://www.bbtc.org
jon@bbtc.org

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
girlwhoboards said:
i also heard a rumor that there might be some dirt jumps or bmx stuff here...is it true?

thanks,
-Kim
yea, what she said.

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
so will them kids from the woods be able to build jumps there? what's the bottom line. i predict very small stunts that will get boring after a day of riding. what will the limitations be?

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Fast&Smooth said:
so will them kids from the woods be able to build jumps there? what's the bottom line. i predict very small stunts that will get boring after a day of riding. what will the limitations be?
Instead of being negative about this, why not embrace it as a start to legal stuff that won't "bore" you?

It's going to be really strict in the sense that there's a lot of eyes on this and it will start out pretty mellow with options and outs all around just to keep the legal eagles happy. So, unless you're volunteering to help develop it in conjunction with the city, the BBTC, and WSDOT, it won't be allowed and will be torn down about the minute it goes up. The fact that gov'ment people are letting what some may consider "easy" or "boring" stunts be built in the city is amazing in it's own right and will pave the path to bigger and "less boring" stuff that's legal in the future.
It's going to be great for in-city folks who want to kill an hour or two after work or at lunch and definately showcase the sport we love. Definately good stuff.

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
Borneo said:
Instead of being negative about this, why not embrace it as a start to legal stuff that won't "bore" you?

It's going to be really strict in the sense that there's a lot of eyes on this and it will start out pretty mellow with options and outs all around just to keep the legal eagles happy. So, unless you're volunteering to help develop it in conjunction with the city, the BBTC, and WSDOT, it won't be allowed and will be torn down about the minute it goes up. The fact that gov'ment people are letting what some may consider "easy" or "boring" stunts be built in the city is amazing in it's own right and will pave the path to bigger and "less boring" stuff that's legal in the future.
It's going to be great for in-city folks who want to kill an hour or two after work or at lunch and definately showcase the sport we love. Definately good stuff.
i was pretty much writing in regaurds to the seattle times article and how it said that it was saying kids building jumps in the woods was bad and this project is supposed to clear that up...somehow...

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I'm just stoked that they (city, county, etc.) are putting an effort into making this a reality, however little and boring it may be at first. The bottom line is that it's step one towards legitimizing our sport. I'm all for that.

I'm not sure how much assistance I will be able to offer beyond being a BBTC member, but I will do what I can when I can for sure.:thumb:

BBTCJON

Chimp
Jun 7, 2005
All comments are welcome... but the fact of the matter is that this is a monumental event. Never before has an urban park design included anything with mountain bikes - nationwide. And this is ONE first step to bringing our sport to the general public that makes it easy for normal 9 - 5er, working, city folk to enjoy the glories of mountain biking.
Now as for yall who are hating on the project (before it's even begun and before you've seen anything I might add), take your cheese and step down cause this is going up with your negativity in the way or not... and I can assure you that even the smallest of obstacles on the course will still trump your attitude.
This is a fantastic project being built by a fantastic organization with a core of fantastic people who are willing to donate their time and energy to make mountain biking great for everyone - EVERYONE!
So if for some odd reason this park doesn't spin your wheels - staytuned... because I'm sure that the next one, and the next one, AND the next one will!