Quantcast

seattle passes aggressive panhandling measure

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Controversial anti-panhandling measure moves forward
The bill says people can't block someone, use threatening or aggressive gestures or profane language, solicit someone using an ATM or repeatedly solicit someone who has already said 'no.' Violators could be fined $50.

But business representatives said the situation downtown had gotten out of control, making residents and visitors feel unsafe.

Jerri Lane of Seattle's Convention and Visitors Bureau said the city was getting a bad reputation nationally. "Once a city is branded as unsafe, the stigma is extremely difficult to shake," Lane said.
man, seattle must have it bad.

once we had 2 bums on the only direct off-ramp from the highway to "downtown", we passed a measure getting them off the next day. also, we recently passed an anti-camping measure to rid of the other dozen or so homeless.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
once we had 2 bums on the only direct off-ramp from the highway to "downtown", we passed a measure getting them off the next day. also, we recently passed an anti-camping measure to rid of the other dozen or so homeless.
stinkle, why didn't they just round them up in a public works truck and dump them in boulder?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
the hippies made them sick. they asked for east colfax instead

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Controversial anti-panhandling measure moves forwardman, seattle must have it bad.

Yes, how Christian of you.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228341&highlight=small+govt

That said, last time I was in Seattle, down town was pretty bad. Most aggressive panhandlers I've ever seen. Drugs are bad mmmkay?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
awesome thread

fwiw: i've voted to increase state/local taxes for the past 2 elections. when you have friends who work in fire/pd/dhs, and when your whole street is lit only by porch lights & motion sensors, and when the parks are filthy & tagged, you start to appreciate paying the $40 annual mil levy, or an increase in groceries by $1.22/wk. of course, living in the "ghetto" that is d-11, my prop taxes are relatively low. north of woodmen, you'll get raped in taxes & have chittier feeder roads
That said, last time I was in Seattle, down town was pretty bad. Most aggressive panhandlers I've ever seen. Drugs are bad mmmkay?
worse than berkeley or san fran? never been to seattle.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It really has gotten about that bad.

There's a certain market street piss quality that no other city can really accomplish in under a decade however.

I never saw anyone in seattle walking around with a needle literally hanging out of their arm like they just forgot about it either.

Yeah maybe not as bad a SF now that I think about it.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
awesome thread

fwiw: i've voted to increase state/local taxes for the past 2 elections. when you have friends who work in fire/pd/dhs, and when your whole street is lit only by porch lights & motion sensors, and when the parks are filthy & tagged, you start to appreciate paying the $40 annual mil levy, or an increase in groceries by $1.22/wk. of course, living in the "ghetto" that is d-11, my prop taxes are relatively low. north of woodmen, you'll get raped in taxes & have chittier feeder roads
Wait, you happily pay money to the government in return for goods and services?? What kind of teabagger are you? :think:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Dunno...the bums weren't as annoying as all the Greenpeace and other petition pushers...

The 25 or so "regulars" I'd run into each week when I worked in the core weren't so bad. In fact they were pretty nice most of the time... but f*ck...those guys (and girls...none were hot...NONE!!! how does that work??!!?? You'd think the law of averages would prevent things like that....) with clipboards and backpacks were the pushy ones.

There was this nicely dressed gentleman with a briefcase walking about 10 steps behind me one day. As I'm approaching an intersection near my office, a clipboard pusher decides that he's going to catch me at a stop light. As I pass by him, he starts his speil and I stop him mid-pitch with, "Hey ya see that guy with the briefcase back there? (I point over my shoulder) His name's Bob, he's loaded, and he's a sucker for lost causes."

I then run across the intersection listening to, "Huh?? Wha?? My name's not Bob...wha?? I don't care....."

It was awesome.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
As a resident of New York City in the early 90's, Giuliani's theory (when he was a well-respected Mayor, not a crackpot Presidential candidate) was that dealing with street crimes is related to murders and drug dealing.

No one felt safe when a squeegeeman started touching your car.

He went after all of it, and while it gave him a bad reputation, murders dropped from over 2000 to under 1000 in 4 years.

One thing people in SF don't realize is that the murder rate is over 10 per 100,000. That is twice as high as cities like NYC and Dallas.

Like most cities, the murders are isolated in the bad neighborhoods. I'm sure if a few shootings occurred on the Haight or in the Marina, people would change their tune.