Quantcast

Seattle Times Survey - Hack MTB from Olympics

Nov 21, 2003
Hey all -

Better get on the Seattle Times web site and vote against removing Mountain Biking from the Olympics!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com

Click on the feature article on the Olympics on the right - it has a picture of "synchronized DIVING!"

Mountain biking is losing - its in the top three of quite a few sports that the general public doesn't think as important!

Granted this is just for fun, but.... WHAT THE HECK! Table tennis or mountain biking ????

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Biking not loosing now...

SURVEY

Which sports must go?
Pick the one event you'd most like to see removed from the Games.

Synchronized diving - 25%

Baseball - 9%

Mountain biking - 15%

Soccer - 1%

Table tennis - 13%

Rhythmic gymnastics - 26%

None of the above: keep 'em all. - 11%

Total votes: 509
Disclaimer

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
They have Rythmic Gymnastics but not Trampoline Gymnastics??? That's the one that should go in my opinion to make way for Downhill Mountain Biking :thumb:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
synchronized diving was actually really cool. the chinese fell completely apart in their final dive, with one of the two basically landing in the water on his head. and then the americans almost did the same, getting 4s and 5s/10. nothing like a good drama/failure or three to spice things up :D

Timmaa

Chimp
Feb 15, 2002
tac town
serious....i was watching that trampoline jazz....cool..but...olympic calibar?????
and what the hell is equestiran crap doing in there....horses that know how to prance like a little fairy????

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
There's a lot of Shiite that I think ought to be banned on the basis of excessive suckage. Then again I sort of think the olymipcs sometimes is rather rediculous, costing sooo much money it almost braks the backs of smaller countries trying to host, all the hype etc.. I admit I still watch a bit of it whenever it's on, but it's not topping my list of broadcast sporting events by a long shot. I do like watching the Tour de France, some GP and F1 racing, WRC, that sort of stuff. I guess everyone's different.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I think rhythmic gymnastics is incredibly boring, but don't bash table tennis.:) In college, my dad knew a guy who was the #1 table tennis player in the state, and he ran five miles a day, plus lots of other training, just to stay in shape to play at that level.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Tully said:
I think rhythmic gymnastics is incredibly boring, but don't bash table tennis.:) In college, my dad knew a guy who was the #1 table tennis player in the state, and he ran five miles a day, plus lots of other training, just to stay in shape to play at that level.
i wish the table tennis coverage wasn't on a 1 or 4 am or whatever ridiculous time it was last night :dead: . i'd much rather see that than a bunch of boring preliminaries for the track events

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Keep in mind that they don't always play what we want at the best times. It's the masses that get to watch what they want in prime time. Sure, not many of us are into gymnastics, but you know what? All those couch potatoes who spend 6 hours a day watching TV are, and so the networks gear for them. Maybe that's why mtn. biking was losing the poll... the people that are actually voting don't properly appreciate it because it's not a ton of fun to watch, and for some whack reason, they actually enjoy watching someone jumping on a trampoline more... wait a second... visions of the Man Show...
Anyway, in short, popularity sucks. That's why I can't watch rally driving on a TV (if I owned one...), or DH racing either. People that are active and like stuff like that don't watch enough TV to have a strong enough voice to change it.