Quantcast

Seattle to Portland (STP)

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So I dont know if any of you guys have done the Seattle to Portland (STP) before...but I was thinking of doing it my self. How crazy does it sound to ride a 45lb downhill bike in the STP? Personally I think it sounds like a thrilling challenge. Especially when the only mod I will make to my bike prior would be some urban Kendas.

Has anyone else done this race/festival before? Anyone ever thought about doing it?

:lighten: I personally would like to see some fellow ride monkeys on there big bikes out there. It would be super cool to get a paceline of bigbikes going. Oh man how much attention would that get?

BAHAHAHAHA, I can see it now :imstupid:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Dude, you're f*cking nuts...but I like it! Still wouldn't do it myself. I commute on my rig from W. Sea. to U-Dist (10 miles) every once-in-a-while...it's pretty brutal. Granted it's running 2.3 knobbies, but even with slicks I'm sure it's still quite a grind.
Then again, I've heard of people doing STP on a unicycle so I guess whatever it takes to get you out there, eh?

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
as much as I want to say your crazy, my bosses girlfriend did it last year on an entry level roadie with never having ridden b4. I dunno about full up dh rigs though. Maybe hardtails.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I just like doing crazy things to see peoples reactions...and i determind this was a good one. I've done about 55 miles in 4.5 hours before with 2 road bikers I know...Im sure I could handle a day of 100miles plus the hills. Cuz the downhills Id be passing everyone with no fear of rocks and bumps :-D.

I duno sounds like a good challenge, im sure if we got a bunch of big bikes in a paceline the news from around the US would be on us :-D.

how sick would that be?

Jun 18, 2004
I want to do it someday... I'm dating a gal that's doing it this year... I have a mtb w/700c wheels... but i'd rather do it on a road bike...

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
after much thought...I've realized now that I probly wont make it past a day of 100miles.

Do they let you ride threw the night? Id rather just ride non stop then go unconsious in a motel 6 for 2 days.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
There are usually a few kooks on unicycles, and old ladies with pomoranians in their baskets, that you could make a pace line with. Personally I would spend my entry fee at a DH race instead.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
I might be doing it this year with a buddy of mine. fixed the whole way! if it happens, it should be fun. But I've talked about doing it the past 2 or 3 years and it has never happend, so who knows.

But yes, doing it on any sort of DH bike is not a good idea unless it weighs 25 pounds and you have very small slicks(1.25")

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I did it once on a road bike to say I did. I can't even imagine riding even one day (Chehalis) on a DH bike. I don't care how skinny the tires are.

When I was working by the Sammamish River Trail, I used to like whirring up on roadies with my knobs in full effect and play with drafting them. They would keep slowing down and waiting for me to take the lead and I never did. It's pretty fun to see them get pissed off and then try to pull away from you when you just keep drafting them.

That might be a place to start to see if you can hang. it's fun to play with uptight team clad roadies when they can't drop you.

Bikecrasher

Monkey
Sep 24, 2002
Tacoma, Wa
I have done the STP in one day on a road bike. Last year, a friend of mine did it in one day on a hardtail w/ slicks. He's pretty tough, and it kicked his ass. The funniest was seeing a bunch of cops on bike patrol bikes, in uniform, complete with guns, trying to ride up the "hill" in Puyallup. Mid way up the hill, they bailed out of the ride and threw the bikes into a police SUV that was following them.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
It's been done on big wheels before. It will take you like three days instead of the usuall slow poke two.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I think it sounds like a hoot. Definitely put on the slicks. (Hookworms at about 60 psi?) I'd do it if I was over there (but then again I've done two Hood-to-Coast Relays, the WSU 100K relay up Steptoe Grade and did Silver Mountain's 8-hour Endurance Downhill :D)

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Im going to be in amazing shape when the STP rolls around from crew (rowing) and so Im not to worried there. And I figure since I can do 50 miles in a little over 4hours pretty easily then I can do the 100miles in a full day. My problem will be waking up the next day though.

I figure Ill have some Kenda slicks on with Kenda XC tubes pumped to the max. Ill probly take my chainguide off.

Then Ill just ride till I die, but likely walk up the big hills. :-D

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
. Cuz the downhills Id be passing everyone with no fear of rocks and bumps :-D.

how sick would that be?
we'll start the betting right now that you wouldnt pass one single person the entire race, road bikes would murder you in every single section, no matter what kinda super slick snot sh*t you put on your wheels

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
you dont have to run a guide if your signed w/ someone. just run a front derailer they dont make one so.....
Well I mean the inner plate is competition for gamut (in a way)...and Ill probly put a 32 tooth on my second ring, slap a derailleur on and take off the bash.

we'll start the betting right now that you wouldnt pass one single person the entire race, road bikes would murder you in every single section, no matter what kinda super slick snot sh*t you put on your wheels
Hey man...dont hate. I know its not likely but Im just talking. Dont shoot me down when Im high. :plthumbsdown:

P.S. just for that I will make it my goal to pass 10 people totall.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
did duncan riffle run an e.13 guide on his road bike at the reb bull road event... no
what I ment by take off the bash was to take off the whole system...sorry for being vague.

And its not like I plan on placing well or anything...heck IF I do it I probly wont even finish. Its just something for fun, a personal challenge, ect.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
did duncan riffle run an e.13 guide on his road bike at the reb bull road event... no
He totally did! You don't even know!

But seriously. You don't want to do the STP on a DH bike... It's hard enough i've heard on a xc hardtail with slicks, let alone a 45 pound DH bike.

So is it doable? Yes. Doable for anyone that isn't a pro road racer? It's much less likely.

So if you seriously want to try and do it, go for it. Start training with a 25 mile ride. It's pretty easy on a road bike, so that will give you a little taste of how the 200 miles will feel. If you can't even do 25 miles... then you might want to seriously reconsider. So start with 25, move up to 50, then try to do a century in one day. If you can do that I'll be very impressed!

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
...So if you seriously want to try and do it, go for it. Start training with a 25 mile ride. It's pretty easy on a road bike, so that will give you a little taste of how the 200 miles will feel. If you can't even do 25 miles... then you might want to seriously reconsider. So start with 25, move up to 50, then try to do a century in one day. If you can do that I'll be very impressed!...

Well I know I can do 25 miles, and I know I can do 50 miles. By 50 I start to feel really sore but I think I can push 100, Ill find out I suppose ehh? But what is a century? I've never heard of that.

Also, what is the terrain (hills, ect.) like on the STP? If Im going to train properly, then Im going to need to know what kinda hills to throw in since their the greatest weakness.

P.S. How many people walk up the hills? I think I'm going to end up being one...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Well I know I can do 25 miles, and I know I can do 50 miles. By 50 I start to feel really sore but I think I can push 100, Ill find out I suppose ehh? But what is a century? I've never heard of that.

Also, what is the terrain (hills, ect.) like on the STP? If Im going to train properly, then Im going to need to know what kinda hills to throw in since their the greatest weakness.

P.S. How many people walk up the hills? I think I'm going to end up being one...
Haha dammit man, you're throwing yourself headlong into a world of pain. i totally will respect you if you try, make it or not.
Maybe putting on some stiffer coil springs so you don't get too much into your travel where it will soak up momentum from pedaling. Maybe that might help, plus jack up the rebound and slow up the compression. Try to eliminate some of the squish so you have a more active pedaller.
You gotta wear a full face and armor too haha!

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
a century is a 100 mile ride.

You said you ride 50 miles then it really starts to burn... Is that on your DH bike? Because riding that far on a Dh bike is completely different than on a road bike.

Also what kind of a bike do you have? Just want to get an idea on if you can get full leg extention and how well it pedals.

Jul 8, 2006
Kirkland
Well you stated that you were doing it on a singlespeed. So I assumed that you were doing it on your azonic, but then you could be riding a 29'er ss? idk. If you were doing it on your azonic, then i'd probably do it on my ss as well. After getting some new "unbent" parts. haha

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
Well you stated that you were doing it on a singlespeed. So I assumed that you were doing it on your azonic, but then you could be riding a 29'er ss? idk. If you were doing it on your azonic, then i'd probably do it on my ss as well. After getting some new "unbent" parts. haha
no im doing it on my single spped road bike

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
gosh everybody has something to prove around here ;)
i might do it... but ehhhhhhh so much riding...

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
a century is a 100 mile ride.

You said you ride 50 miles then it really starts to burn... Is that on your DH bike? Because riding that far on a Dh bike is completely different than on a road bike.

Also what kind of a bike do you have? Just want to get an idea on if you can get full leg extention and how well it pedals.
Yeah that was on my DH bike with 2.7 tires and DH 3mm thick tubes. I would be putting slicks and super light XC tires on.

And I ride a Bighit FSR '05 with sherman up front. Not much bob, and I recently got an SDG seat so the post is long enough for full extension. Only trick is my bike is still a beast at 44.5lbs and cromo bars, ect. hopefully she'll be at 42lbs or less by STP.

I was considering buying a Scott road bike instead of buying my upgrades for my bike (straightline levers, MTX wheels, ect.) But I dont know how often I would use the road bike...

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
How long did it take to get 25 miles on the DH bike?

My suggestion is get the road bike, weather it's a brand spakin' new shiny road bike, or it's a used bike that's in ok shape. Use it for training, because it will pay off for downhill no matter what. Then you can use it on the STP. Then you can continue to save up and replace the bighit!

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
How long did it take to get 25 miles on the DH bike?

My suggestion is get the road bike, weather it's a brand spakin' new shiny road bike, or it's a used bike that's in ok shape. Use it for training, because it will pay off for downhill no matter what. Then you can use it on the STP. Then you can continue to save up and replace the bighit!
The 25miles took me about 2 hours. Granted most of it was flat and pacing inbatween 2 road bikers.

And yeah the trick is on road bikes, that I know nothing about them. I dont know what size is good, components, or anything. All I know is I want a carbon fiber fork, seat stays, and seat tube. I can get all of that on a Scott bike on REI.com for $700 or Marin for $800. But I'd like to get it from a shop.

Blah can someone please tell me what bike and size to buy? I like the bars the swoop down *road one once* and could I use sixsixone shoes on a road bike *clips*? Cuz they sponsor me.

Thanks.