Quantcast

Seattle trails

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I just moved to Seattle from Bellingham for school. I went to school in Spokane last year where I could ride Beacon :thumb: , but I can't find any biking around Seattle this time of year. Anyone have any ideas? I'm looking for all-mountain, either XC or Freeriding, and something pretty local. Thanks

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I live on Queen Anne Hill (Seattle Pacific University). By local I mean no further then North Bend. I ride the North Shore, but for now I'm not looking for anything huge, just something fun till I get to know the area.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
For an after work fix, South Seatac (aka SST) is the place. Decent xc trails and a "flowpark" in the back corner if you need a jump fix.

Tolt McDonald park in Carnation has the best xc trails IMO. About 30-45 min drive from the city.

Next summer, they will be building an urban mountain bike park along eastlake, undernear I-5. We'll see how well this is executed.

There are some good freeride trails on I-90 and north a bit. I'll get hounded if I tell you where.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
My roommate says he thinks he knows where those trails off of I-90 are; hopefully I can try them out after I get my boxxer :D. I would like to see how the urban park is. I remember hearing that they were building one a while ago. Do you know where it will be? He also said the flowpark is by his parent's house, which is handy. Keep them coming, this could be a good database.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Tapeworm, and St Edwards are fun too. St Eds doesn't really have drops, but there are lots of trails to ride around. Look at the MTBR forum under trail reviews, there are a bunch of decent trails listed there.

South Seatac would be the best bet since if you are looking for some stuff to huck.

D-Man

Chimp
Sep 17, 2004
Seattle
South seatac definately gets my vote. The trails off I-90 are fun too, but does anyone know what the conditions are like up there? Seattle center can be fun if you are into urban. I live on queen anne as well and sometimes head down to there or to fremont or the uw campus to get some riding in.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
D-Man said:
The trails off I-90 are fun too, but does anyone know what the conditions are like up there?
Spent about 5 hours at 38 yesterday and had a great time. it's January and it was dry and 50+ out. not one other person was there. the road getting to the JW was a little washed out, but my minivan still made it.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
Corporatefailure said:
lol the agressive cross country trails, lol. 34,27 are bettter then 38... way better.
Then why don't you come out and try to hang. There are trails at 38 that would challenge even the likes of tops pros like you.

Jun 18, 2004
66 said:
I'm interested. I don't have a shuttle rig but i can would love to be in.
I've never been to 38... (I've riden Whistler,Galbraith, and 27 though)... I was thinking about going to the N Shore this weekend but I can scrap that for some local action... so who's in for the shuttle action this weekend? Sunday is best for me... :evil:

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
Str8OutaBallard said:
I've never been to 38... (I've riden Whistler,Galbraith, and 27 though)... I was thinking about going to the N Shore this weekend but I can scrap that for some local action... so who's in for the shuttle action this weekend? Sunday is best for me... :evil:

Sounds good. 38 works better for me but I'm never apposed to the shore. either day works for me.

Jun 18, 2004
do we need a key? where are you guys driving from? maybe I should start a new thread and see if others are down for it? (let me know what you think)

D-Man

Chimp
Sep 17, 2004
Seattle
Starting a new thread would be a good idea. I'm driving from Seattle (Queen Anne). I have never actually been to 38 so im not sure if you need a key or what.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
So, that's mostly it for the winter riding. There's Lake Sawyer and Victor Falls as well if you're near the Enumclaw area. Otherwise Seattle Center, UW and downtown are good urban spots. I hear Tacoma has some interesting urban as well.
If you're around at all over the summer, you MUST hit Ranger Creek, Sun Top and/or Palisades trails.:drool:

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
DBR X6 RIDER said:
So, that's mostly it for the winter riding. There's Lake Sawyer and Victor Falls as well if you're near the Enumclaw area. Otherwise Seattle Center, UW and downtown are good urban spots. I hear Tacoma has some interesting urban as well.
If you're around at all over the summer, you MUST hit Ranger Creek, Sun Top and/or Palisades trails.:drool:

stop trying to derail this Andy! we are trying to make plans ;)

Jun 18, 2004
66 said:
no key,
I wil be coming staightoutacapitolhill. where are you coming from
straight outta Ballard... so can we shuttle w/o a key?... should I start a new thread to get others to show w/they're shuttles?

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I would like shuttle, but Sunday definitely doesn't work for me, so I think I'm out. If anyone is going on a Saturday I would like to join them, though I don't have a car :(. Just PM me if you want to

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
The Black Diamond Coal Mine trails are killer XC loops. Go down Maple Valley Highway to Black Diamond (it's about 30 or 40 minutes out of Seattle). On the right as you enter the town (literally, it's next to the sign that says "Welcome to Maple Valley" is a turnout. Park there, go through the gate and either go right or go down the old gravel road/path and take one of the trails off of it. There's reportedly about 25 miles of tight, twisting singletrack in there. I've only been once, but it was good for a couple of hours of fun and we didn't even scratch the surface down there.