Quantcast

Seattle Weather

No real reason for asking this, I'm just curious as the whats the weathers like around Seattle, summer and winter. Are you guys able to do alot of riding in the winter? Im just kinda clueless about the about it, and for some reason its been bugging me as of late.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Summer is the dry and dusty season. Winter tends to be a permagrey-slopfestish time. I like 'em both.
The high altitude epics are done for the year...usually those go from late-spring/early-summer until mid-late Oct. - sometimes into early Nov.

Hope that helps.:)

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Guys like Andy do a lot of riding in the winter. Although the rides are of the shorter variety. After while you get used to riding in 45 degree temps and rain. Just have a bunch of Gore, Polartec, polypro and stuff like that. I am not a bike nut so I limit my rides to maybe 2 hours or so when its cold and damp-thats long enough. Also it doesnt rain here all the time-sometime it just seems like it. Right now we have had a real dry spell and the trails are in pretty good shape for this late in November.

Some of us who live in the cold areas put studs on our tires and pretend we are still mountain biking riding mostly on streets. If it gets too cold we leave and hang out in the desert until the stuff melts.

Andy-thats funny "the dry and dusty season".

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Borregokid said:
Guys like Andy do a lot of riding in the winter. Although the rides are of the shorter variety. After while you get used to riding in 45 degree temps and rain. Just have a bunch of Gore, Polartec, polypro and stuff like that. I am not a bike nut so I limit my rides to maybe 2 hours or so when its cold and damp-thats long enough. Also it doesnt rain here all the time-sometime it just seems like it. Right now we have had a real dry spell and the trails are in pretty good shape for this late in November.

Some of us who live in the cold areas put studs on our tires and pretend we are still mountain biking riding mostly on streets. If it gets too cold we leave and hang out in the desert until the stuff melts.

Andy-thats funny "the dry and dusty season".
Hahaha - I had a hunch the locals would appreciate that one. Nothing can be more fun than being the last rider in a group during summer.:p
Also, our rain is not the 'standard' type of rain. 75% of the time it is perma-drizzle. I was born and raised on the east-coast - they get rain.:eek:

Jestere said:
No real reason for asking this, I'm just curious as the whats the weathers like around Seattle, summer and winter. Are you guys able to do alot of riding in the winter? Im just kinda clueless about the about it, and for some reason its been bugging me as of late.
Weather is really similar to what you deal with! I was stationed @ Moffett field just outside of Mtn. View and did weekend trips to surf SC. The weather here is kinda chilly in the winter, not cold. Mid 40's, high 30's, yet boarding is about an hour into the mountains where they have 300 inches of snow a year. The summer's are mild, nothing like what your used to, or at least the way it is over in the bay area side. It's mainly sunny and cool(60-80) and cooler at night. No humidity, no snow in town! It does have a weird effect though and I can't pin point it. They say it rains the most in Seattle and this area, however I felt like I delt with more rain down in the bay. It's never DRY dirt(except the east side) as Andy would put it, these guys haven't seen Cali dry. It's more like a non-muddy dirt, but definently not dry. Real similar to SC, but not as hot, and not as much drenchil(sp?) down poor.

Jun 18, 2004
Jestere said:
The weather sux... people from Cal can't handle it, the seasonal depression and all... having rain on and off 10 months out of the year isn't for everyone, unless everyone in your world is a serial killer, as we have the most serial killers percapita than any other place on the earth... the rain makes your steerer tube rust and all that mud cakes up in your cranks... it's only the people that grew up in Seattle that ride in the sub 50 deg wet muddy weather...hell I remeber last december urban riding when it was 34 deg F out... seriously you wouldn't like it and Santa Cruz is soooooo much better for you so you really should stay down there... say Hi to Rob Roskopp, will you?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
people say "it rains in seattle..." but, as mentioned, it's not so much the rain but the fact that it is GRAY outside for 10 months. not cloudy, gray. I like to call it suicide gray. the whole sky has no definition as far as clouds, it's more like someone painted the whole sky one shade of depressing,suicidal gray. then the rain drizzles down, making everything wet and muddy.
it's dark when you leave to go to work and dark when you get out of work.

it doesn't really get cold, like the midwest or east. it will drop down to the teens for a couple of weeks then come back up to mid 30's for a month or two. it's not a dry cold, but damp, get-inside-your-bones kind of cold.

stay in cali and skate pools with rob. :D

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
DBR X6 RIDER said:
Hmmmmm...this may be a good time to mention the flesh-eating crows that tend to come out during the winter months as well.:think:

yea, I left work the other day and the parking lot was FILLED with crows. it was creepy. there was easily over 100 giant black birds out there.

Hmmm... Glad to get that monkey of my back, and don't worry, if I'm ever going to leave SC (Acually, I live in Ben Lomond, which is 15 minutes or so from SC) it wouldn't be for years. I'm use to bone dry summers and really wet winters, plus that 1 day of snow we get every 3 or 4 years ;) Hopefuly I will make it up there next summer, looks like a good time. Thanks or the info.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
pnj said:
yea, I left work the other day and the parking lot was FILLED with crows. it was creepy. there was easily over 100 giant black birds out there.
Remember the movie Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp. Anyone who wants to know what the weather is like here in the winter needs to watch that. I kind of like how its alway rains and kind of muddy through the whole movie. Plus its never really light-no sun, a great Northwest kind of movie. If I ever move to some where warm and sunny I will have to get a copy of that movie so I can remember how "great" NW winter is. Actually sometimes the crows and seagulls battling it out kind of livens things up.

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
Str8OutaBallard said:
it's only the people that grew up in Seattle that ride in the sub 50 deg wet muddy weather..
I moved here from AZ five years ago and cannot get enough rain, cold and mud. (I think I got too much sun) It does take some getting used to but all in all, things are awesome up here.

You have to watch the trails. You get the urge to ride in the winter, but if we have had some real rain, other than the perma-mist, there is a high likelihood you will trash the trails. Also, we have some hella short days in the winter.

The summers are sweet...I dont know of a better place to ride in the summer. Long days of sunlight, until almost 10pm, and great temperatures.

(Yes, the winter crows are bad. I hit them all of the time when driving my truck) ;)

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Yeah, I've been blindsided by a crow JRA when I was a courier in downtown. It just came darting out of an alley and face-planted into my shoulder. It was stunned but it got up and probably lived a normal, productive life.
More recently, I've seen a group of them on a telephone pole pecking at some wires...I'd guess there was a connection up there that was buzzing and annoying them so they were trying to disconnect it.
Luckily, they failed.:eek:

Back on topic - today was a beautiful day to go riding!!:D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Megan Black said:
the crows here ARE scary!

they play head games with you....
haha
i was roofing this school up north years back and there was this guy who would chase off the crows, throw crap at em, fake like he was throwing them food when he was eating but just throw uneatable garabage.
One day we were out there and he started lookin all over the roof. Askin everyone if they'd stole his smokes. Haha i looked off the edge of the roof and sure enough them crows had his nearly full pack of smokes down there. They had grabbed his pack, flew it to the ground, opened it, took out every smoke and bit them into peices. haha there were like 5 of em down there in this gang bang giving out a big **** you to this guy. He was so pissed me and other guys just hadda laugh....

Skookum said:
haha
i was roofing this school up north years back and there was this guy who would chase off the crows, throw crap at em, fake like he was throwing them food when he was eating but just throw uneatable garabage.
One day we were out there and he started lookin all over the roof. Askin everyone if they'd stole his smokes. Haha i looked off the edge of the roof and sure enough them crows had his nearly full pack of smokes down there. They had grabbed his pack, flew it to the ground, opened it, took out every smoke and bit them into peices. haha there were like 5 of em down there in this gang bang giving out a big **** you to this guy. He was so pissed me and other guys just hadda laugh....
classic

Jun 18, 2004
Fast&Smooth said:
it was like 60 today right? trails perfectly dry. 3 days of clear skys in a row.
Was it? It's socked in w/P-soup right now(0757)... I get out of the basement of the Ferry Boat and it's black... I come home get online and it gets light... I get up and the sun is going down... then back to the dock so's I can get back down to tha basement... last night at like 20 till 4(am) we had to change out a 4160V Siemens 'Ground Truck' Tie Breaker... had to light the plant off by 0430... that woke me up!... next week, when I'm off, my guess is Rain, Gray, Mud, and hopefully some Snow at the pass... but hey when somebody said the weather get's in your bones they weren't kiddin'... I went to Norway last summer where my Mom is from... the weather there is just like here... I went to school in NorCal and it didn't rain enough for me (and the people were different)... anyway maybe next week I'll get a chance to get muddy... Galbraith is good for that.

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
Skookum said:
haha
haha! good stuff :) crows WILL regulate yo ass....

i was at school once, running late. threw my lunch bag in the garbage and some crows swooped down, picked it up out of it and put it on the ground. i don't like litter-bugs so i went over and put it back in the garbage. but as soon as i went to leave, they'd come down, take it out and put it on the ground again. so i put it back in again. this time i stayed there and watched 'em. they didn't move until i turned around and they went for it again

needless to say this happened a few more times until once i stood there so long that they started to fly away........so i walked off and when i turned around one last time, they had come back and snatched the bag again!

i'm not proud to say that i was 15 minutes late to class because i was having a power struggle w/ a bunch of crows! :p