Quantcast

Seattle's Collonade/I-5 Open Space Mountain Bike Project

BBTCJON

Chimp
Jun 7, 2005

WE NEED YOUR HELP!

The Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club (BBTC) http://bbtc.org has reached a pivotal stage in the progression of the Collonade/I-5 Open Space Project. We are very excited for things to come and are gearing up to set the foundation which will help us to complete the project.

Here is a link to the project for those who don't already know...

http://www.bbtc.org/php/show_page.php?page_id=19

BBTC Executive Director, Justin Vander Pol in conjunction with the Colonnade Committee, has been working tirelessly to solidify the plans with the city of Seattle to get this project off the ground (so to speak). The entire team has made great progress in this area and we are now at the point where we need your help.

I am quite aware of many rider's desire to move some dirt and build trails. It is a very exciting project to be a part of and what a neat thing to be able to tell people that you were a part of such a monumental process. All involved should be proud of the part that they play.

But we do have a few teams that could really use some assistance. Aside from a strong volunteer base we want to recruit some team leaders for the following positions:

Teams that need leaders for Colonnade:

1. Financial Management Team: Responsible for tracking and controlling all inflows and outflows of funds for this project. This team will manage the grant contracts and ensure compliance with the grant agreements... as well as track all payment and receivables. (The Financial Management Team has recieved numerous inquiries though we also need help in the following other areas. Not to discourage further help within this area - I am just asking that those who have other skills and/or resources read on!)

2. Procurement Team: Responsible for purchasing materials and
equipment for the project. This team leader needs to be someone good at negotiating free or discounted prices on everything possible. We'll need to buy tools, equipment and materials, which consists of a whole lot of rock. A good portion of our project budget is for rock, so it's important to find someone who can get a lot of this stuff for free/cheap.

3. Fundraising Team: Specific responsibilities will be to work with Justin to conduct a capital campaign for the Colonnade project. The capital campaign will largely consist of email and direct mail sent to mountain bikers and residents near the project. Some phone work might also be part of the campaign. (This team could really use some help... afterall - the more money we can raise, the better our opportunities will be in creating what we all want to see in an urban mountainbike setting!)

As you can see, we really need some assistance in these areas. It's really all about you, the volunteers, stepping up to the plate in clutch times like these that will determine the level of success of this and future BBTC projects.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions, comments, and/or suggestions and I encourage you to seriously think about what you can give to make the Colonnade project a huge success... because it is you and your passion that are the foundation of this organization.

Jon Kennedy
Volunteer Director
Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club (BBTC)
http://www.bbtc.org
jon@bbtc.org
206.524.2900[/COLOR]

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Well, MMike, whomever that was you dealt with was on the right track.
It is happening and there's just a few minor details to finish up with such as lighting so we can ride in the dark there as well. (Seems as though the neighbors don't like that part and they are working that out. Say, lighted until 10?) I dunno. I figure the more it's lit and there's bikers around playing, the less winos and such will be there. But, that's one of the last issues.
I guess the City is already started on it's part with the parking lot, etc.
Although I won't be using it much, if at all, I'll definately be lending a hand in getting it built. It's going to be pretty damn cool and, a model for other play parks like it in the future. AND, as mentioned a million times before, an opportunity for us to move on to bigger projects with public approval. The success here will definately grease the skids for future projects. The behind the scenes projects that are moving ahead are very scary in thier magnitude.
Good stuff. But, yup, it takes time...

BBTCJON

Chimp
Jun 7, 2005
Hmmmm... And how were you exactly involved? Maybe you'd like to be involved now. Seems to me if more people stayed involved and followed through with thing - they'd actually get done.
And I don't mean to spoil anyones pessimism - but yah, it is gonna happen!

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Hey y'all, Jon's our new guy and we're excited to have him aboard! Its really going to help me and the BBTC get more projects built now that we have 2 people on staff. Big things are coming!!! But it sounds like Jon is getting warmed up to the e-skepticism around here :o: Jon's super passionate about these projects, and as a forum NEWB figured out in about 1 minute to take all comments with a grain of salt. I know everyone here is just hoping that we get the project rolling, and I understand that waiting for government-paced projects can get frustrating (trust me, I know this all too well). The good news is that they take a long time to build, but once they are in there's no worries about getting kicked off. And Colonnade is just one of several projects that we have brewing right now.

Hey Kim - anyone on two wheels (or one) is more that welcome to ride here, but the trails are being designed with an eye for mountain bike type features more than BMX. There's a couple reasons for this, but the biggest one is that the park is covered by the lid of the freeway and won't get any rain. Because of this any dirt turns to powdery, nasty dust, and that means dirt jumps aren't practical since they'd vaporize. Everything is this park will be made out of hardened materials, lots of rock and plenty of wood. The good side of this is that the park will be very durable so when we do "maintenance" it will be more about making the park fun since there will never be ruts or trail tread wear to fix.

Here's a sketch to give an idea of the kinds of features we'll build. Keep in mind these are only sketches to get approval from the city, and the actual stuff on the ground will be built with a lot of creativity.

Drawings by Art Tuftee

Click here for all the info about the project

Justin Vander Pol
BBTC Executive Director
http://bbtc.org
206-524-2900

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
We're also looking into a few possbilities for other parks - and at least one of them has potential for DJ's. We're very aware of the lack of DJing in the area and we'll jump all over (bad pun) any parks opportuntities with DJ's.

JuiceStain