Quantcast

Security cameras

Hey @johnbryanpeters,

Ever get any resolution on this front? I find myself in the sad situation of strongly considering a couple cameras for our house. Neighbors behind us have gone from simple white trash to considerably more "methy" in the last couple months. Next door neighbor to our south had it out with them couple months back, my wife had a bit of an argument with white trash wife about a week ago and then two nights ago I got into it with them about the noise/parties. I'm not particularity concerned about "safety" per se, but I am very much interested in documenting any further troubles and am frankly concerned enough about their behavior that I am reluctant to let the dog into the back yard if we are not home. Costco currently has these on sale right now: https://www.costco.com/Arlo-Pro-Smart-Home-HD-Wireless-IP-Security-Camera-3-pack.product.100340335.html

I'm also giving considerable consideration into just moving downtown. Situation is bad enough that when I talked with both my next door neighbors last night they both admitted to considering the same.
Naw, I almost bought a game camera, but backed off...

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I have an arlo go and its awesome. We used it as a baby monitor, security camera and as a game camera. We can keep an eye on the farm animals and all sorts of stuff. You can put it any where or take it with you on vacation and keep an eye on your car or the hotel maid.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Hey @johnbryanpeters,

Ever get any resolution on this front? I find myself in the sad situation of strongly considering a couple cameras for our house. Neighbors behind us have gone from simple white trash to considerably more "methy" in the last couple months. Next door neighbor to our south had it out with them couple months back, my wife had a bit of an argument with white trash wife about a week ago and then two nights ago I got into it with them about the noise/parties. I'm not particularity concerned about "safety" per se, but I am very much interested in documenting any further troubles and am frankly concerned enough about their behavior that I am reluctant to let the dog into the back yard if we are not home. Costco currently has these on sale right now: https://www.costco.com/Arlo-Pro-Smart-Home-HD-Wireless-IP-Security-Camera-3-pack.product.100340335.html

I'm also giving considerable consideration into just moving downtown. Situation is bad enough that when I talked with both my next door neighbors last night they both admitted to considering the same.
Bought the set from Costco. Initial impressions are super good. Setup and installation was stupid easy. Daytime camera quality is pretty good. I guess I'll find out tonight about night vision. Didn't know until after I bought, but neighbors across the street Have the Arlo pro 2 and are very happy with it. Video quality is very good on theirs, 1080p vs. 720 on the Pro that I bought. But I got three cameras from Costco and a bunch of accessories for about 80 dollars less than they paid for two cameras.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I got two of the new Nest Outdoor IQ which is really good and I get live stream to my cell phone and alerts and I can speak through the camera and tell anybody to fuck off if I see them. I scared a couple of kids pretty good the other day. All video is stored in the could and I can download it too.

crombie1

Chimp
Aug 16, 2009
Ontario NY
Game cameras on perimeter are easy, relatively cheap and stealthy. No live monitoring but enough for evidence purposes.
OP
I don't have the time for a dog, nor could a dog record license plate numbers; besides, a mountain lion would be more effective and amusing.

Similar to @JohnE, I'm not about to use the 659 for property intrusions. I used an ash stave once, but that's another story.

I'll probably start with a couple of game cameras.
I'm doing the game camera thing now. One on the driveway one in the garage. Both are out of the way but still get shots of everything. Last I knew my father has 4 up around his place. One is in a scarecrow the rest are on trees. You really have to be close and looking directly at them to notice.