Quantcast

Sedona and AZ

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Yes, I am going to the Sedona MTB fest with some bikes. And maybe the Moab spring thaw the weekend after.

But logistics are tricky. I might, for example, fly into phx, rent a sprinter, do Sedonas, go up to Moab and then back down to phx.

If I do that, I'd want to get some other AZ riding in before and/or after. Like maybe stop in Flag on the way back.

I've done South Mtn in the 90's, it'd be fun on a real bike.

Any other suggestions/locations? Gotta get it worked out so I can book flights.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yes, ride Flagstaff. I'll have some more input later.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
When is Sedona MTB Fest? Flag might be under a mountain of snow. Another great place to ride in the Sedona area is Mingus Mountain. There's a great shuttle run there.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
When is Sedona MTB Fest? Flag might be under a mountain of snow. Another great place to ride in the Sedona area is Mingus Mountain. There's a great shuttle run there.
Sedona is mar 1-3. I'll probably come in early in the week or even the weekend before, so maybe ride in phx then. Or something.

I might hang in Sedona after the fest to ride a little before heading up to moab.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Sedona is mar 1-3. I'll probably come in early in the week or even the weekend before, so maybe ride in phx then. Or something.

I might hang in Sedona after the fest to ride a little before heading up to moab.
This is probably a useful tool for you if you decide to try Flag...https://www.flagstaffarizona.org/webcam/

Riding the AZ trail from "Aspen Corner" (on the road up to Snowbowl) was another memorable trail riding moment for me. indelibly etched into my memory. Such a good trail.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

In that case, you most likely will not be able to ride Flag. Snow mud and ice.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i was afraid of that.But if weather is good I could still stop off on my way back from moab
Maybe, but very unlikely, they are usually still skiing at that time of year up there.

Good stuff:

Prescott, the Circle Trail. 65 mile (some variance due to some options) mile route through the forest and trails that encircle the town. The city is surrounded on 3 sides by forest land and trails, with the remaining side having some awesome rock formations called "The Dells" where some cool tech/rock stuff has recently shown up, built by the city. The forest land trails are decent, but it's not the most technical or epic. You can easily put together 5K+ vertical rides and 30-50 mile rides, but it takes a bit of pre-planning. The great thing is that most of the riding areas, Thumb Butte, The Dells, Granite Basin, Lynx Lake, White Spar, etc., are now all interconnected with trails, so you can do some pretty neat stuff. Living in Prescott, weekday and weekend riding was great. It was nice to hit Flagstaff in the summer when the temps were warmer or Sedona in the winter, but I definitely didn't suffer living in Prescott. Prescott ranges from high desert scrub to alpine and firs and even aspens if you know where to look. Mostly ponderosa stands though.

Black Canyon Trail, kind of a must-do. Huge amount of miles, many sections that can be done, there are some shuttling services even, or rent a truck with a bunch of friends and do it that way. Much more "desert" down there and a good route to do in the winter. Check the CFS on the Aqua Fria river though, if it's above a certain amount (don't recall, it's either 150 or 300) you can't cross it and may have to do a different section of the trail. Bring tubes, patch kits, plugs, food and water. It's not all that remote in that it parallels the highway, but it's pretty primitive out there and sharp things abound.

Phoenix, lots of good stuff in the winter time. When it gets above 80 though, I'm long gone, I ain't got time for sweating like a dog. South Mountain is great, doesn't change much over time. There are a bunch of new trails in places like Gold Canyon. The trailforks for Phoenix is absolutely nuts. Hawes is a good trail system too. Plenty of others that I never got to ride when I lived there.

Tucson is going to be about optimal in March. I've never ridden there, but I've been there several times and I know there is good riding there.

Sedona, yeah, good riding, much better than 15 years ago. Things have definitely changed a lot over that time. Much more of a riding destination now with riding that actually attracts people for the riding, rather than just awesome views like it was before. This year I want to do the new Transcept trail (alternate way to come down Highline).

I think this year after the Whiskey Off Road, I'd like to do at least a day in Prescott, at least a day doing the BCT, and at least a day in Sedona. Possibly a day down in Phoenix or something, but I may have a couple extra days to fill with something. I end up in Phoenix for Slayer at the end of the trip :)

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Maybe, but very unlikely, they are usually still skiing at that time of year up there.

Good stuff:

Prescott, the Circle Trail. 65 mile (some variance due to some options) mile route through the forest and trails that encircle the town. The city is surrounded on 3 sides by forest land and trails, with the remaining side having some awesome rock formations called "The Dells" where some cool tech/rock stuff has recently shown up, built by the city. The forest land trails are decent, but it's not the most technical or epic. You can easily put together 5K+ vertical rides and 30-50 mile rides, but it takes a bit of pre-planning. The great thing is that most of the riding areas, Thumb Butte, The Dells, Granite Basin, Lynx Lake, White Spar, etc., are now all interconnected with trails, so you can do some pretty neat stuff. Living in Prescott, weekday and weekend riding was great. It was nice to hit Flagstaff in the summer when the temps were warmer or Sedona in the winter, but I definitely didn't suffer living in Prescott. Prescott ranges from high desert scrub to alpine and firs and even aspens if you know where to look. Mostly ponderosa stands though.

Black Canyon Trail, kind of a must-do. Huge amount of miles, many sections that can be done, there are some shuttling services even, or rent a truck with a bunch of friends and do it that way. Much more "desert" down there and a good route to do in the winter. Check the CFS on the Aqua Fria river though, if it's above a certain amount (don't recall, it's either 150 or 300) you can't cross it and may have to do a different section of the trail. Bring tubes, patch kits, plugs, food and water. It's not all that remote in that it parallels the highway, but it's pretty primitive out there and sharp things abound.

Phoenix, lots of good stuff in the winter time. When it gets above 80 though, I'm long gone, I ain't got time for sweating like a dog. South Mountain is great, doesn't change much over time. There are a bunch of new trails in places like Gold Canyon. The trailforks for Phoenix is absolutely nuts. Hawes is a good trail system too. Plenty of others that I never got to ride when I lived there.

Tucson is going to be about optimal in March. I've never ridden there, but I've been there several times and I know there is good riding there.

Sedona, yeah, good riding, much better than 15 years ago. Things have definitely changed a lot over that time. Much more of a riding destination now with riding that actually attracts people for the riding, rather than just awesome views like it was before. This year I want to do the new Transcept trail (alternate way to come down Highline).

I think this year after the Whiskey Off Road, I'd like to do at least a day in Prescott, at least a day doing the BCT, and at least a day in Sedona. Possibly a day down in Phoenix or something, but I may have a couple extra days to fill with something. I end up in Phoenix for Slayer at the end of the trip :)
way good stuff. Thanks. Funny thing is......I actually was thinking of your recommendation for Whisky Off Road when the opportunity to do Sedona came up. And I might have confused the 2.

whisky is a possibility. Now that they moved Sea Otter earlier to the rainy season, I could ship bikes down from there.

I'll hit Tuscon as well if I can work it all in. Basically using my job as a Professional Mountain Biker to go ride in warm places.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
way good stuff. Thanks. Funny thing is......I actually was thinking of your recommendation for Whisky Off Road when the opportunity to do Sedona came up. And I might have confused the 2.

whisky is a possibility. Now that they moved Sea Otter earlier to the rainy season, I could ship bikes down from there.

I'll hit Tuscon as well if I can work it all in. Basically using my job as a Professional Mountain Biker to go ride in warm places.
WOR has exploded over the last 5 years or so. I don't know if it's bigger than Sea Otter, but it's big. Lots of company reps and support, big weekend all about bikes, etc.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...

Never actually rode in Phoenix because i'm not driving there just to ride and i have almost no need to be up there for any other reason. If i did, i would bring the bike. But if weather is good here, it's usually just as good there this time of year.

Down here in Tucson, Feb is usually a cold month (At night), but during the day we are getting into the 60's/70's right now. @Tantrum Cycles If you come here, i'll gladly give a place to stay and guide ya. Sweetwater is probably my favorite trail system. Warning: I have a very friendly cat.

Anywhere farther north of Phoenix area is definitely not riding weather, unless you like freezing your nuggies off.

Never actually rode in Phoenix because i'm not driving there just to ride and i have almost no need to be up there for any other reason. If i did, i would bring the bike. But if weather is good here, it's usually just as good there this time of year.

Down here in Tucson, Feb is usually a cold month (At night), but during the day we are getting into the 60's/70's right now. @Tantrum Cycles If you come here, i'll gladly give a place to stay and guide ya. Sweetwater is probably my favorite trail system. Warning: I have a very friendly cat.

Anywhere farther north of Phoenix area is definitely not riding weather, unless you like freezing your nuggies off.
We stayed there in May the year we went, up in the ranger's cabin in the Catalinas, where there was sheet ice on the northern trails.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
We stayed there in May the year we went, up in the ranger's cabin in the Catalinas, where there was sheet ice on the northern trails.
Yeah... March/April, October/November are usually the best times to do the Lemmon Drop. But temps around then can vary greatly as you descend. I did Aspen to the bottom of Green Mountain around August. Top was great, around GM, i was smoked, it got hot.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016

Hahahaha cold at night. It was minus 9 here last night. I'll be running around AZ with shorts and Tshirts.

@KenW449 still trying to work out all the details and logistics. I'd like to come in the weekend before Sedona, rent a sprinter van, ride phx/tuscon, then Sedona, then Moab Spring thaw the next weekend, then back to phx and out.

sort off.

Caveats, if we ride, you WILL be waiting on any climbs. Just want that out front.

I love cats and animals. But I am pretty allergic. My cats live outside. which actually makes them cooler.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Get your chakras aligned, aura cleansed, meditate on a vortex, then hit up oak creek brewing for me!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
This year I want to do the new Transcept trail (alternate way to come down Highline).
We hit Transcept Trail when we were in Sedona this past Thanksgiving. It was pretty good but nowhere near as fun as Highline IMO. (Lots of short ups and downs, tight spots that reminded me of the parts of Hangover I don't like, and generally tough to find the flow.) It was still pretty raw and I expect it will get better over time, and I can see it as a viable alternative for those who end up walking the bigger moves on Highline. And props to the builders, tough terrain out there for sure. But for me personally, I'll take Highline over Transcept all day.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
We hit Transcept Trail when we were in Sedona this past Thanksgiving. It was pretty good but nowhere near as fun as Highline IMO. (Lots of short ups and downs, tight spots that reminded me of the parts of Hangover I don't like, and generally tough to find the flow.) It was still pretty raw and I expect it will get better over time, and I can see it as a viable alternative for those who end up walking the bigger moves on Highline. And props to the builders, tough terrain out there for sure. But for me personally, I'll take Highline over Transcept all day.
Yeah, it's more to tick it off and not ride the exact same thing, although I have the feeling if we ride Sedona this year we'll probably do Sedona North, Mescal, Chuck Wagon, etc.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Damn. i would've forgot if not for having a booth. BTW, I am sharing with ALTA racks, so I am not listed, but find ALTA, really cool racks.

I am in the phx area from this friday till wed when I head up to Sedona. Anybody want to ride?

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Where at in Phoenix are you staying?
A hotel near airport/downtown. I needed a base to ship bikes to, leave boxes in etc. I have 3 bikes arriving Thurs. A 29er, a mixed wheel 29/27.5 and a 27.5, all with 160-170 mm of travel. All size M. Looking forward to a lot of testing/comparing.

I have an L and S coming next week for Sedona.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
A hotel near airport/downtown. I needed a base to ship bikes to, leave boxes in etc. I have 3 bikes arriving Thurs. A 29er, a mixed wheel 29/27.5 and a 27.5, all with 160-170 mm of travel. All size M. Looking forward to a lot of testing/comparing.

I have an L and S coming next week for Sedona.
Ok, because i'm going to be at apache junction on Saturday. thinking if i can camp out somewhere on Friday and ride early morning on Saturday.