Quantcast

See you in 3 months

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Just thought I'd give my goodbye. I'm heading out to Parris Island, SC for United States Marine Corps Recruit Training (aka Boot Camp). It's taken me almost a year since I swore in to leave. Had to have knee surgery and got pushed back a lot. Then I got pushed back again to June 1st because the NCOIC of my recruiting station hooked me up with a sweet MOS. Marine Security Forces. Sweet. Then I got pushed up to this Monday because they needed to fill a spot. I'm so glad it got pushed up instead of back again. Also glad I still have the Security Forces MOS. I'll be in sunny SC for about 3 months, then be back for 10 days, then head out to School of Infantry, then the Security forces school. I'm going to be a busy guy for the next six months. It's been fun on the :monkey: , met some great people on here, learned a lot, and laughed a ****load.

I'll be leaving Sunday evening. Leave some motivation.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Thank you and good luck man. Remember that those Iraqi terrorists, if you do go over there would have no problem killing anyone you know, so don't take no sheite from them. Maybee it's not right beating them (although I think it is) but you don't want to get into trouble. Just remember that they are the human trash of the world. good luck

Knuckle

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Ah, summer on Parris Island!!

It ain't so much the heat, it's the humidity, actually it's both ;)

Thank you for your service bud!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
No matter how much you are prepared mentally for what's about to happen to you, it will still be a shock. Pay attention and you'll do great :)

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
I was in the Navy and had an x-marine for a company commander. His favorite movie was full metal jacket.
:dead:
Now, looking back, boot camp was actaully fun. Seeing everyone get made fun of and pummelled by the CC. It was when I got out of bootcamp it sucked. Military not for me, but however I do salute all you brave folks that go in.

Knuckle

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Originally posted by Spud
PS hope you can drop the chew habit while you're there ;)
HA! Me too ;). My first letter back to my folks is probably going to consist of two words: "NEED DIP!"

One of the guys who got back 2 weeks ago told me a story of one of the guys in his platoon who got sent a tin of dip in a bible. Basically what happened is that he had to do the whole tin and gut it all. I don't think I'm going to be trying to get anybody to send me some after hearing that one.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Freak them out by showing up with with your hair already gone - that way they know whom not to **** with. :cool:
They still need a pile of hair on the chair before you leave. Upstairs, downstairs, don't matter....

Rock on Jorvik!

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Freak them out by showing up with with your hair already gone - that way they know whom not to **** with. :cool:
Uh....don't do that.

Show up clean shaven with a recent haircut, but DO NOT show up shaved. You will suffer.

The whole idea behind BC is to break down the individual and show them how to work as a group. The quicker you and the rest of your company realize this the easier things will be.

Keep your mouth shut, and your ears open. Do what you are told, when you are told to do it, exactly as you are told to do it.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Damn True
Uh....don't do that.

Show up clean shaven with a recent haircut, but DO NOT show up shaved. You will suffer.

Meh, they really wont bother you for that. But there's no point in doing it cause theyre gunna sit you in a chair and run clippers over your head anyway. (and charge you for it)
Just dont wear a USMC t-shirt or get any tatoos that say USMC before you go. you might catch hell for that.
Really, boot camp aint so bad once you're up and training. Its all the in-processing, paperwork and innoculations that SUCK. Daily life is structured and time passes quickly. Be sure to remember that no matter how good you and your platoon are doing, its still the DI's job to be a total d***, so dont get too caught up in trying to please them. Youll notice other recruits dying to make them happy, and thats what the DIs want, but just realize that it wont ever happen, so there's no reason to stress.
The worst part is not getting to order a pizza or drink some soda when you crave it. Oh, and if you have a girlfreind, dump her now. She's going to cheat on you.
I dont mean she might, or she may, or she could....she will.

Oh, and dont make a habit of going to sick call.;)

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I've been WELL briefed in what to do down in boot camp. Been in the DEP for 11 months and was in the recruiting station pretty much daily to work out in the weight room. I got to talk to quite a few Marines when they got back from boot camp. I'm as prepared as anybody can be. I'm still nervous as hell. I've been planning to become a Marine since I was eight years old (damn, 11 years ago, I feel old). I know I'm going to to better than fine. Doing 22 pullups, 148 crunches, and an 8 18 on my last IST (not my best one, but good enough for a perfect score). I can PT just as well if not better than Honor Graduates that came back from my station. I've got my knowledge locked on. My bearing is pretty damn good. But still, my heart rate is about 30 BPM above normal. All of the recruiters at the station are convinced I'm going to be Honor Graduate. No pressure...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Jorvik
I'm going to be Honor Graduate. No pressure...

In that case....go in yelling. Also, let some dumba$$ from brooklyn be the platoon guide first, because the DIs will want to make an example of a leader getting fired right away. After he gets ****canned, step up and dont look back. NEVER get sick.
Oh, and security forces? What do you know about that job? If there's time, I can put you in touch with some people who know the drill pretty well.
There's still time to change to Public Affairs:p