Quantcast

seemingly busted nashbar SS hub

oxman

Chimp
Jul 2, 2007
so i've had my nashbar single speed hub for probably 2 1/2 months and now all im getting out of it is popping and slipping. i broke it open on the freewheel side and noticed that the pawls seem to be nice and gnaled on. i would just try and oder a new freewheel, but im afraid that the "clicks" (the part which the pawls lock onto) are stripped or otherwise damaged... has anyone had any experiance with this? did i get a bum hub? and should i fix it or just get another one?

coiler7

Monkey
May 30, 2005
Kent, WA
I have a 16t ACS Claw freewheel that seems OK but looks out of round when I pedal it around on the stand. It still clicks loud as ever, no slipping or anything. When you look at the freewheel going around, it bobs up & down slightly on the hub. anyone ever see this. When I flip the hub over to the 19 side (same ACS type), it does not spin "out of round". Does anyone here know what exactly could this be from; slightly damaged pawls or faulty internals or bad casting during manufacture, etc?
whatever, doesn't seem to affect my pedalling at all that I can tell.
Thanks a lot

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
so i've had my nashbar single speed hub for probably 2 1/2 months and now all im getting out of it is popping and slipping. i broke it open on the freewheel side and noticed that the pawls seem to be nice and gnaled on. i would just try and oder a new freewheel, but im afraid that the "clicks" (the part which the pawls lock onto) are stripped or otherwise damaged... has anyone had any experiance with this? did i get a bum hub? and should i fix it or just get another one?

Do you have freewheel(threaded on to hub) or a cog and spacers on a freehub(not threaded)?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Do you have freewheel(threaded on to hub) or a cog and spacers on a freehub(not threaded)?
The Nashbar SS hub is a cassette-style freehub. It's the same hub offered under the names On-One, Novatec, and Woodman. I think the only other SS hub Nashbar offers is a fixed-gear hub.

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
If it is indeed your hub and not a stiff link or something else in the drivetrain, it could be the pawls. If you removed your freehub from the hub body, make sure you reinstalled it correctly. The Nashbar SS hub has been on the market for quite a while. It is very similar (actually pretty much identical) to some other hubs on the market and has an excellent track record. There are a lot of factors to why your hub is having problems. Whatevcer the reason, you should not have to replace the whole hub. You should be able to replace the freehub body only. Keep in mind, freehub bodies do wear out, sometimes as short as 2 months if you have been riding really hard in harsh conditions w/ a 2:1 or less gear ratio.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Ok, I had the exact same problem with mine, my shop said it was the internals so I bought another one and it had the same problem. Then I tried another cog that had a little deeper teeth and it fixed the problem. Get a cog with deeper teeth than the nashbar one and it should be fixed.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
I have a 16t ACS Claw freewheel that seems OK but looks out of round when I pedal it around on the stand. It still clicks loud as ever, no slipping or anything. When you look at the freewheel going around, it bobs up & down slightly on the hub. anyone ever see this. When I flip the hub over to the 19 side (same ACS type), it does not spin "out of round". Does anyone here know what exactly could this be from; slightly damaged pawls or faulty internals or bad casting during manufacture, etc?
whatever, doesn't seem to affect my pedalling at all that I can tell.
Thanks a lot
Well, the problem is you have an ACS freewheel. It's just not as tough, the tolerances aren't as good, and it may have worn out to some extent. With the ACSs expect to replace them fairly frequently, no big deal, they're not that expensive.