Quantcast

seized pedal threads

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
trying to take the speedplay pedals off my wife's crankset. I can't budge it with an allen or a pedal wrench. My guess is that someone forgot to grease the threads on install (not me, shop she bought it from) I just put liquid wrench on and will let it sit over night. If that doesn't work any other thoughts?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I like rattle guns for siezed things that are difficult to hold securely, jusy make sure it is going the correct way.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah I was hoping to not have to go to buy allen heads for my huge torque wrench that I use for tire lug nuts or a big piece of pipe
This is why I keep several diameters of PVC pipe on hand, seat seals, headset races, use for levers, etc.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oh, and heat. Always heat. Heat makes things expand. I don't know what the difference in expansion rate is for steel vs. alu, but your alu section that forms a ring around the steel has a relatively long circumference and that usually leads to a significant difference when heated (as in still very small, but often enough to help unjam a stubborn part). Get the hair dryer out and heat it for a few minutes, or a heat-gun if you have it.

Oh, and heat. Always heat. Heat makes things expand. I don't know what the difference in expansion rate is for steel vs. alu, but your alu section that forms a ring around the steel has a relatively long circumference and that usually leads to a significant difference when heated (as in still very small, but often enough to help unjam a stubborn part). Get the hair dryer out and heat it for a few minutes, or a heat-gun if you have it.
Or a propane torch.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Double check you're trying to remove it the correct way. Put the allen key in and stand on it; maybe put a shin guard on so you don't slip into the chain rings.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Aluminum expands at a much greater rate, it's part of the reason they use alloy hats on brake rotors, reduces distortion.

EDIT- Doesn't Coke discolor anodizing?
Double edit- It is supposed to be a no no to heat automotive suspension components but it does happen at times, I would be uneasy if I saw someone going nuts with a Map gas torch on a bike crank.
6061 is aged at 350F+ so I don't know if localized heating would mess with the heat treatment at all, there's a bunch of smart people on here so someone will know.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Aluminum expands at a much greater rate, it's part of the reason they use alloy hats on brake rotors, reduces distortion.

EDIT- Doesn't Coke discolor anodizing?
Double edit- It is supposed to be a no no to heat automotive suspension components but it does happen at times, I would be uneasy if I saw someone going nuts with a Map gas torch on a bike crank.
6061 is aged at 350F+ so I don't know if localized heating would mess with the heat treatment at all, there's a bunch of smart people on here so someone will know.
Um, I'm not talking about hitting it with a blowtorch or anything, just a hairdryer.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Working on a Lance Armstrong bike without taking steroids first? Rookie mistake.

Always wanted to figure out a better way to hold crank arms in place for situations like this. Happens all the time, and there's no real solution other than hoping your friend' doesn't slip his grip while you're torquing on it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Always wanted to figure out a better way to hold crank arms in place for situations like this. Happens all the time, and there's no real solution other than hoping your friend' doesn't slip his grip while you're torquing on it.
For next time: Rotate the cranks so the arm with the stuck pedal is forward. Put the front wheel against a bench or wall, stand on said pedal, and use a cheater bar over the wrench if needed. Never fails for me, no second person needed.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Working on a Lance Armstrong bike without taking steroids first? Rookie mistake.

Impact gun? Should isolate the majority of the torque into the pedal spindle instead of into the crank arms. Holding the opposite arm should be NBD then.

Just make sure you are spinning it the right direction, otherwise you'll be pulling that crank arm too. :D

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Impact gun? Should isolate the majority of the torque into the pedal spindle instead of into the crank arms. Holding the opposite arm should be NBD then.

Just make sure you are spinning it the right direction, otherwise you'll be pulling that crank arm too. :D
I've had extremely mixed results using the ugga-dugga gun on pedals, snapped sockets or the pedal removing the threads in the crank. I've had better luck with slow, steady torque + heat, but teh carbonz don't appreciate heat quite as much as real cranks.