Quantcast

Self checkout rules...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by loco-gringo, Feb 7, 2008.

1. loco-gringo

loco-gringo Crusading Clamp Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 5
    When there are four checkouts, do you stage at the beginning of the area and wait for next available??? Or do you create a clusterf*ck of lines in the middle for each station??? I ask only because I am amazed by the number of people that just go in front of you when you are clearly standing in line. Wrong or not, the next Goddamn time someone does it, I plan to take their sh*t from the belt and throw it on the floor. I can't stand the inconsiderate nature of people in our country. It's not just TX, as I have experienced it other places as well.

#1 -   Feb 7, 2008

Please register to disable this ad.

2. r464

r464 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Whatever results in the most violence...

#2 -   Feb 7, 2008
  3. pinkshirtphotos

pinkshirtphotos site moron

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 47
    it reminds me of waiting in line at the gas station..

#3 -   Feb 7, 2008
  4. AngryMetalsmith

AngryMetalsmith Business is good, thanks for asking

Rep/Likes:
    316 / 1,961
    If you would stop going to the store w/o your shirt on maybe the people behind you would not be in such a hurry to go around you.

#4 -   Feb 7, 2008
  5. stevew

stevew unique white person

Rep/Likes:
    249 / 2,372
    How?

In NJ your gas is pumped for you.

#5 -   Feb 7, 2008
  6. Serial Midget

Serial Midget Al Bundy

Rep/Likes:
    131 / 1,362
    I shop a Fred Meyers - a Kroger owned chain. The main reason I shop there is lack of lines and wide aisles. I am willing to pay what amounts to an additional 5% to avoid the cluster-****ing one receives from discount chains.

#6 -   Feb 7, 2008
  7. Angus

Angus Jack Ass Pen Goo Win

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Man That is one of the few things I miss about New Jersey ( I grew up there) I remember being on a road trip when I was 17 and getting pissed off in Maryland because nobody came out to pump my gas....

#7 -   Feb 7, 2008
  8. Cooter Brown

Cooter Brown Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    yeah, I don't understand 'self checkout', most the time, the POS machine malfunctions, which automatically shuts it down to wait for the dickhead in the red smock to make their way to you after you wait for 10 minutes because some 374 pound diabetic smoker can't figure out that they have to put the f#$king twinkies in the bag on the scale before they can lube them with strawberry soda and slide them down their gullet

#8 -   Feb 8, 2008
  9. -dustin

-dustin boring

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1
    not only should there be one line, but there should be some sort of intelligence required for the use of self-checkout.

#9 -   Feb 8, 2008
  10. OrthoPT

OrthoPT Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    yeah, just remember to throw one of those "impulse buy" cheese graters they usually have hanging in the aisles and use it when attacking with extreme prejudice.

11. jimmydean

jimmydean The Official Meat of Ridemonkey

Rep/Likes:
    175 / 1,551
    Not only do I not pump my own gas (unless on the motorcycle), but it's cheaper than Washington or California.

Fred Meyer self checkout is slick. I use it at Home Depot too when possible.

12. cannondalejunky

cannondalejunky ease dropper

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    screw one line...they're all checkouts, you go up to them like any other checkout...you find the one with the least amount of grocery's and you get in line...seems pretty simple...do you stand in the back of all the regular checkouts and wait for one to open up?

13. kev211

kev211 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Haha, I didnt even know they still did that! Wow, thats really cool. Ive never gotten gas pumped for me! Haha. Thats cool. I shop at Ralphs. A kroger owned company just like what serial midget mentioned. Costco's also nice too. Where else can you get 200 lbs of penut butter for like 20 bucks

14. eaterofdog

eaterofdog ass grabber

Rep/Likes:
    12 / 22
    Americans are rude, but Europeans are worse. I had some french ahole knock my 3 yo daughter to the ground while trying to cut in front of us at Busch Gardens. Without thinking, I shoved that d!ck as hard as I could. I'll never forget the sound his head made when it hit the railing as he went down. He was rolling back and forth on the ground and moaning and I'm thinking I'm going to jail. Some old guy standing there leans over the dude and says "You don't want to cut the line here in America, fella." and several people actually clapped. The frenchies all babbled at each other and grabbed the dude (with little side glances at me to be sure I wasn't too close) and took off.

15. TreeSaw

TreeSaw Mama Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    41 / 428
    I love self check-out. There generally isn't a line for ours, but if there is, there is one for each side (2 per side).

16. Wumpus

Wumpus makes avatars better

Rep/Likes:
    30 / 153

Actually, the commissary on base did it that way, and it worked quite well. Also, quite a few banks, barnes and nobles, old navy, quite a few city services, etc. do it with good results.

17. ire

ire Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    If it was organized properly I can see this working better.

18. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    446 / 2,841
    I just get in the line with the hottest piece of jailbait working the register.

19. skunkty14

skunkty14 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    On the flip side I cannot stand this. Gas station attendants in every state/town that mandates full serve always try to round the dollar by overfilling the tank, sloping gas down the side of the car, bend the gas door on the car, etc.

Around me this is based on old blue laws; some towns don't have self serve, some do. Only in desperate times do I go full serve and generally I get out and pump myself or watch them. Maybe I'm an a-hole for this, oh well.

As for NJ and other states that pump your gas for you this is my feeling; if you're not bright enough to pump your own gas, chances are you shouldn't be anywhere near an automobile. Period. If you need evidence of this fact I present 95% of drivers on the NJ turnpike as exibit A.

20. laura

laura DH_Laura

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 14
    I read the title of this thread as "Self checkout rules!" I thought to myself, "yes, yes it does". Then I was utterly confused when I read your post.

If I stayed put off by people who were rude, I would be put off all day, although I have to say (and it might be a mid-western thing) but Milwaukee has some of the nicest and most courteous people I have ever met. Unless you are driving. Then again, I try to avoid places with lines like that like the plague.

21. Hunter

Hunter Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    You just described my experience this week at Home Depot (except the gal had an orange smock). Every damn thing I tried to scan caused a problem that had to be corrected by a freak behind the counter. Took me forever, just because I tried to avoid the line of idiots at the normal checkout stations.

Self-checkout is good if you're buying one or two uncomplicated items. Otherwise it blows.

22. Tmeyer

Tmeyer Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    :busted:

23. MountainDrew

MountainDrew Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Must give rep, i do the same, and it pisses my wife off every time!!

24. cadmus

cadmus Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Sounds like you would have fit right in over in the other line

25. Hunter

Hunter Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Ohhh, don't get all bitchy cause the bad luck you encountered after messing with a dragon. Go back to Thebes with your bad attitude.

26. GotMyGED

GotMyGED Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    The store near my house makes it nearly impossible to buy beer.
    You scan your beer, then lights start flashing and someone comes over the store intercom and yells "Code 78395043 on U-SCAN!!!".
    Its like winning a million on a vegas slot machine.

I avoid the U-Scan if at all possible, but usually there is some migrant worker with $700 worth of food in their buggy in the real check-out line.

27. drkenan

drkenan anti-dentite

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I just now understand the title of this thread.

He means "rules" as in "The Cider House Rules" not as in "San Dimas High School football rules!" :busted:

28. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    That's the beauty of self checkout... it naturally weeds out the idiots and those afraid of change. I can't believe how many times I've seen people standing in lines at the regular registers when there is no line at the self checkout.

And, it kind of depends on the layout, but it should be one line.

29. johnbryanpeters

Rep/Likes:
    245 / 2,729
    L-G,

I was going to post some self-checkout rules for you but decided that they might be regarded as NSFW.

30. KavuRider

KavuRider Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 3
    The only thing that annoys me about the self checkout is when some yahoo with an overflowing cart decides to use it.
    I'm pretty sure its meant for those with only a few items, not half the store.
    Otherwise, they rule and I use them as much as I can.

31. KavuRider

KavuRider Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 3
    Yep. I see that all the time. Baffles me. Its not THAT hard to use...

Its usually one line at mine.

32. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    446 / 2,841
    You mean when he wants some privacy when buying hygeine products for when he gets sand in his jayjay?

33. McGRP01

McGRP01 beer and bikes

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    There should be a some sort of way to scan your ID at self-checkouts. I hate running in for beer and then having to wait at the "self" checkout for some person to come card me. :rolleyes:

34. McGRP01

McGRP01 beer and bikes

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    :rofl:

Rep given yet again... :clapping:

35. Dartman

Dartman Old Bastard Mike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I got held up for butane lighter refill. WTF??!! Good thing it wasn't a package of box cutters. "Terrorist on checkout aisle 3!!!!"

36. S.n.a.k.e.

S.n.a.k.e. Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I thought this was going to be a thread about Loco making a discovery during a 'self checkout'... I was disillusioned...