Quantcast

Self checkout rules...

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
When there are four checkouts, do you stage at the beginning of the area and wait for next available??? Or do you create a clusterf*ck of lines in the middle for each station??? I ask only because I am amazed by the number of people that just go in front of you when you are clearly standing in line. Wrong or not, the next Goddamn time someone does it, I plan to take their sh*t from the belt and throw it on the floor. I can't stand the inconsiderate nature of people in our country. It's not just TX, as I have experienced it other places as well.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I shop a Fred Meyers - a Kroger owned chain. The main reason I shop there is lack of lines and wide aisles. I am willing to pay what amounts to an additional 5% to avoid the cluster-****ing one receives from discount chains.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
How?

In NJ your gas is pumped for you.
Man That is one of the few things I miss about New Jersey ( I grew up there) I remember being on a road trip when I was 17 and getting pissed off in Maryland because nobody came out to pump my gas....

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
yeah, I don't understand 'self checkout', most the time, the POS machine malfunctions, which automatically shuts it down to wait for the dickhead in the red smock to make their way to you after you wait for 10 minutes because some 374 pound diabetic smoker can't figure out that they have to put the f#$king twinkies in the bag on the scale before they can lube them with strawberry soda and slide them down their gullet

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
not only should there be one line, but there should be some sort of intelligence required for the use of self-checkout.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
How?

In NJ your gas is pumped for you.
Not only do I not pump my own gas (unless on the motorcycle), but it's cheaper than Washington or California.

Fred Meyer self checkout is slick. I use it at Home Depot too when possible.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
screw one line...they're all checkouts, you go up to them like any other checkout...you find the one with the least amount of grocery's and you get in line...seems pretty simple...do you stand in the back of all the regular checkouts and wait for one to open up?

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
Man That is one of the few things I miss about New Jersey ( I grew up there) I remember being on a road trip when I was 17 and getting pissed off in Maryland because nobody came out to pump my gas....
Haha, I didnt even know they still did that! Wow, thats really cool. Ive never gotten gas pumped for me! Haha. Thats cool. I shop at Ralphs. A kroger owned company just like what serial midget mentioned. Costco's also nice too. Where else can you get 200 lbs of penut butter for like 20 bucks

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I can't stand the inconsiderate nature of people in our country. It's not just TX, as I have experienced it other places as well.
Americans are rude, but Europeans are worse. I had some french ahole knock my 3 yo daughter to the ground while trying to cut in front of us at Busch Gardens. Without thinking, I shoved that d!ck as hard as I could. I'll never forget the sound his head made when it hit the railing as he went down. He was rolling back and forth on the ground and moaning and I'm thinking I'm going to jail. Some old guy standing there leans over the dude and says "You don't want to cut the line here in America, fella." and several people actually clapped. The frenchies all babbled at each other and grabbed the dude (with little side glances at me to be sure I wasn't too close) and took off.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Actually, the commissary on base did it that way, and it worked quite well. Also, quite a few banks, barnes and nobles, old navy, quite a few city services, etc. do it with good results.
If it was organized properly I can see this working better.

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
On the flip side I cannot stand this. Gas station attendants in every state/town that mandates full serve always try to round the dollar by overfilling the tank, sloping gas down the side of the car, bend the gas door on the car, etc.

Around me this is based on old blue laws; some towns don't have self serve, some do. Only in desperate times do I go full serve and generally I get out and pump myself or watch them. Maybe I'm an a-hole for this, oh well.

As for NJ and other states that pump your gas for you this is my feeling; if you're not bright enough to pump your own gas, chances are you shouldn't be anywhere near an automobile. Period. If you need evidence of this fact I present 95% of drivers on the NJ turnpike as exibit A.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I read the title of this thread as "Self checkout rules!" I thought to myself, "yes, yes it does". Then I was utterly confused when I read your post.

If I stayed put off by people who were rude, I would be put off all day, although I have to say (and it might be a mid-western thing) but Milwaukee has some of the nicest and most courteous people I have ever met. Unless you are driving. Then again, I try to avoid places with lines like that like the plague.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
yeah, I don't understand 'self checkout', most the time, the POS machine malfunctions, which automatically shuts it down to wait for the dickhead in the red smock to make their way to you after you wait for 10 minutes because some 374 pound diabetic smoker can't figure out that they have to put the f#$king twinkies in the bag on the scale before they can lube them with strawberry soda and slide them down their gullet
You just described my experience this week at Home Depot (except the gal had an orange smock). Every damn thing I tried to scan caused a problem that had to be corrected by a freak behind the counter. Took me forever, just because I tried to avoid the line of idiots at the normal checkout stations.

Self-checkout is good if you're buying one or two uncomplicated items. Otherwise it blows.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
You just described my experience this week at Home Depot (except the gal had an orange smock). Every damn thing I tried to scan caused a problem that had to be corrected by a freak behind the counter. Took me forever, just because I tried to avoid the line of idiots at the normal checkout stations.

Self-checkout is good if you're buying one or two uncomplicated items. Otherwise it blows.
Sounds like you would have fit right in over in the other line

GotMyGED

Monkey
Mar 29, 2006
Knoxville
The store near my house makes it nearly impossible to buy beer.
You scan your beer, then lights start flashing and someone comes over the store intercom and yells "Code 78395043 on U-SCAN!!!".
Its like winning a million on a vegas slot machine.

I avoid the U-Scan if at all possible, but usually there is some migrant worker with $700 worth of food in their buggy in the real check-out line.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I just now understand the title of this thread.

He means "rules" as in "The Cider House Rules" not as in "San Dimas High School football rules!" :busted:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
but there should be some sort of intelligence required for the use of self-checkout.
That's the beauty of self checkout... it naturally weeds out the idiots and those afraid of change. I can't believe how many times I've seen people standing in lines at the regular registers when there is no line at the self checkout.

And, it kind of depends on the layout, but it should be one line.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
The only thing that annoys me about the self checkout is when some yahoo with an overflowing cart decides to use it.
I'm pretty sure its meant for those with only a few items, not half the store.
Otherwise, they rule and I use them as much as I can.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
That's the beauty of self checkout... it naturally weeds out the idiots and those afraid of change. I can't believe how many times I've seen people standing in lines at the regular registers when there is no line at the self checkout.

And, it kind of depends on the layout, but it should be one line.
Yep. I see that all the time. Baffles me. Its not THAT hard to use...

Its usually one line at mine.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
There should be a some sort of way to scan your ID at self-checkouts. I hate running in for beer and then having to wait at the "self" checkout for some person to come card me. :rolleyes:

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
There should be a some sort of way to scan your ID at self-checkouts. I hate running in for beer and then having to wait at the "self" checkout for some person to come card me. :rolleyes:
I got held up for butane lighter refill. WTF??!! Good thing it wasn't a package of box cutters. "Terrorist on checkout aisle 3!!!!"