Quantcast

self-defense....what do you carry?

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Hiya - I'm very bored today (it's accounting day - which means lots of very boring work...bleh)

So - I've been in a monkey mood for a few days, so I thought I'd post this up and see what results I got.

We live in an okay area - one of the cheaper neighborhoods outside of Vancouver BC....our condo backs to an alley that you can cross, go down a set of narrow dark stares, cross a dark street, and get easily to Safeway.

During the day, this area is gorgeous and pleasant with lots of stores I enjoy visiting to get our supplies. Never a need to drive except when I need major stuff.

Nighttime - I long ago stopped venturing out alone because of the frequency of creepy bums, trying to sell you whatever fell of the truck that day, asking for handouts, or lurking in corners. Really not nice. (These bums, and the evidence of them seems to disappear during the daylight...).

So - we keep a short-barreled shotty at home for home defense, hunting, and well blasting ****. Kinda fun. :) But not something to carry on a trip to safeway. hehe.

I don't have any desire to get into handguns...concealed carry, etc. Not necessary, in my opinion. Primarily this - anything that has a trigger could potentially be used against you, and I'm squeamish about the idea of actually killing someone (our shotty at home IS loaded with birdshot, but we debate frequently about putting in rock salt instead). What I'm really thinking of is the 'back off' factor - or kitty's got claws kind of thing.

Was actually thinking of getting the spyderco harpy. What do y'all think? Nice wicked curved edge, and if I wave my arms around like a wild person (if ever attacked) I think I'll succeed in keeping scary people at bay.

Granted - I fully acknowledge this is for my own mental comfort and the liklihood of being jumped just walking to the store is pretty nil. These bums all look hungry, I could probably just give em a swift kick and start running and get away.

so...thoughts?

Attachments

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Unless you are trained in knife fighting a non deadly weapon would probably be better. It could be taken and used on you just as easily as a gun. Pepper spray is usually enough to deter but will not kill you if you end up on the other end.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable carrying a knife. How about one of those collapsible baton things with the heavy ball on the end?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
eek, I think a knife would just piss someone off.

Only pull a weapon if your life is in danger and then use it to kill. Any thing short of that is only going to escalate a situation and get you really hurt.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I carry one of these around occasionally:

CRKT M16:

Handle: Zytel
Liners: Stainless
Blade: AUS8
Blade Finish: Satin
Blade Style: Spear Point
Edge Style: Combo
Overall Length: 8.25"
Blade Length: 3.5"
Handle Length: 4.75"
Lock Type: AutoLAWKS
Opener Type: Thumb Studs
Weight: 3.2 oz
Carry Type: Pocket Clip

I also have one of these around somewhere, I like the slimmer profile of the M16 better though:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have a Gerber Gator that I use for everyday type stuff, but I carry a prototype Gerber that is sort of like this only WAY better:

I have trained in Philippine style stick and knife fighting for about 3+ years. I've never needed it, but it's nice to have.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I'm aware it could be taken from me - my guy will make sure I'm properly trained in any weapon on me.

Basically the reason the Harpy came into discussion is it's quite small - I can conceal it well, flip it around in my hand (so the blade runs along my forearm instead of holding the point end out like a carrot peeler).

The purpose is only if I'm grabbed, the blade would simply hurt their hands if they reached for my hands or arms, and give me time to get away, if necessary.

Not looking for a fight of any kind, or even bringing it out if simply feeling threatened...just something to reach for if someone is reaching for me.

I took a self-defense course with my Mom and a bunch of other ninnies a couple of years ago. I tend to agree with the logic that most idiots will avoid a confrontation if it appears their so-called victim is willing to fight back and is confident/not afraid.

I also carry a small silver batton on my keychain that I can tuck into my fist and jab people with.

Maybe I just want a cool knife. :)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You can also do a lot of damage with 2 sheets of rolled newspaper. If you roll it up tight, you can stab someone real good with it and nobody expects anything from a person carrying a newspaper.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I live in Victoria BC. I've lived lots of places in Canada, including Vancouver. I don't carry any self-defense tools. I never have and I've never had any occasion to need them. I figure if I find myself living somewhere I need that kind of ****, it's time to move somewhere else.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I live in Victoria BC. I've lived lots of places in Canada, including Vancouver. I don't carry any self-defense tools. I never have and I've never had any occasion to need them. I figure if I find myself living somewhere I need that kind of ****, it's time to move somewhere else.
I normally would agree. When I moved up here, I'd been coming and staying with my sweetie every weekend for two years and felt 100% safe.

Not sure why exactly our neighborhood is changing so much. Our building is mostly retired people, young couples like us, and one or two single parents. But the building immediately neighboring us is a rental, and the people flowing through seem to be a very unique kind. And the PILES of trash/thrown out furniture/foods are attracting a lot of undesireables - and by a lot, I mean ...two or three milling around every night.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I'm aware it could be taken from me - my guy will make sure I'm properly trained in any weapon on me.

Basically the reason the Harpy came into discussion is it's quite small - I can conceal it well, flip it around in my hand (so the blade runs along my forearm instead of holding the point end out like a carrot peeler).

The purpose is only if I'm grabbed, the blade would simply hurt their hands if they reached for my hands or arms, and give me time to get away, if necessary.

Not looking for a fight of any kind, or even bringing it out if simply feeling threatened...just something to reach for if someone is reaching for me.

I took a self-defense course with my Mom and a bunch of other ninnies a couple of years ago. I tend to agree with the logic that most idiots will avoid a confrontation if it appears their so-called victim is willing to fight back and is confident/not afraid.

I also carry a small silver batton on my keychain that I can tuck into my fist and jab people with.

Maybe I just want a cool knife. :)
NO NO NO. It would be safer for you to carry a peeler than a knife.

A knife is not a good self defense weapon for a beginner.... hell even experts are probably going to avoid it.

Again...... NO.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Personally, I just scream and run... but those hand held tazers are great deterants. Just activate them and that whole 500,000 volts crackling noise would prolly send them running. and... it REALLY REALLY SUCKS getting hit with one. I'm never volunteering as a self defense demonstrator again!

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
You can also do a lot of damage with 2 sheets of rolled newspaper. If you roll it up tight, you can stab someone real good with it and nobody expects anything from a person carrying a newspaper.

you could really suprise em by rolling up a hard object in newspaper. cut a 2 foot section off leaf spring from a junk yard and you would really be tempted to go up side some one with it.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I usually have a knife, but not for self defense. Mostly for opening boxes and envelopes and other such mundane tasks.

Aikido would probably be good, but will take some time to really become proficient. I just finished the first six months of beginners classes and can fall reasonably well, but certainly wouldn't be any good at actually defending myself.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Another vote NO for the knife idea. I've worked with enough law enforcement and military guys to know that a weapon is easily removed from a defendant's (or assailant's) hands.

Would Pepper Spray/Mace be an option?

Typically most predators, at least the ones you might face, are scared off by attention being drawn to them. A whistle or a high pitched alarm that attaches to your keychain would be preferable to a knife or gun.

http://www.defensedevices.com/keywitlig.html

I like the idea of this simply because it is discreet, doesn't require much movement to activate (unlike a whistle, which you must lift and blow into), and can't be turned against you in any way.

If you do choose to carry a weapon make sure that you get a good amount of training in it. Or use it in addition to something like the key chain alarm.

The Ito

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
I usually have a knife, but not for self defense. Mostly for opening boxes and envelopes and other such mundane tasks.
Yeah same with me. It's just a little pocket knife with like a 2" blade. I guess I could use it as a weapon if I needed to, but I hope I never need to.