Quantcast

self inflating tire

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
hmmm, isn't the "pump" located in the most vulnerable spot on the tire?
Should be no worse than any other part of the tire tread if it's thick enough. How often do you puncture through your tire at the tread/contact patch? (not sidewalls)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
so... how exactly does it stop inflating?
The max pressure it can hit is going to be capped by the size of the little inflation tube and rider weight. I'm going to assume they made the tube a reasonable size so that it stops inflating at a normal pressure.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
While i agree that it's pretty clever, and most certainly worthy of a patent, is it marketable?

The only benefit i see to this is if you have a slow leak, and it keeps topping you up.

Maybe it's aimed more for the casual rider who never checks things like tire pressure.

But it's pretty elegant.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
While i agree that it's pretty clever, and most certainly worthy of a patent, is it marketable?

The only benefit i see to this is if you have a slow leak, and it keeps topping you up.

Maybe it's aimed more for the casual rider who never checks things like tire pressure.

But it's pretty elegant.
There's no way I'd ride one, but it's a pretty cool idea for casual riders. We get a TON of casual riders' bikes through the shop with way under inflated tires (often complaining about how much they're flatting :rolleyes:) so I think it's an awesome idea for people like that.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

But it's pretty elegant.
Bingo. Every other or third rider I see on the street has under-inflated tires... and often Bixi as well. Pretty badass mechanism imo.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I like the idea.... I see it being marketable for commuters, in fact if I were riding an everyday commuter I just might go for it as well
Yeah, never having to worry about pumping the tires... that's great imo.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I like the idea.... I see it being marketable for commuters, in fact if I were riding an everyday commuter I just might go for it as well
I bike commute everywhere, and for the once or twice a week I have to air my tires I'll keep a bunch of extraneous crap out of them. If you actually ride popping your floor pump on your commuter isn't a big deal at all

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I could actually see this being more useful in automotive applications....with some sort of active pressure monitoring/relief valve system. (it would have to be embedded in the tread somehow).

But I bet there are a lot of people that check their bike tires more often than their car tires......

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I bike commute everywhere, and for the once or twice a week I have to air my tires I'll keep a bunch of extraneous crap out of them. If you actually ride popping your floor pump on your commuter isn't a big deal at all
It's not for me or you. It's for all the other people out there who don't even know how to or care to pump tires (car owners too).