Quantcast

Sell Me on a New Fork

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Alright guys, I'll be ordering a new fork in a few weeks and I need help deciding between a 2007 Manitou Gold Label 2, 2007 Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 2, or 2007 RockShox Argyle 318.

I hear that the Gold's FluidFlow damping is awful and the dropouts are fairly weak, which steers me away a little, but I have owned a Sherman Breakout Plus before and loved it; but it had SPV, not FluidFlow.

Does anyone have an Argyle around here that likes it? I hear it's the same lowers and adjustability as the Pike, minus the U-Turn. The adjustments would be nice, especially the Lockout for commuting to urban session spots. From what I've read, this fork is the sh*t.

The Dirt Jumper 2 is the only one I've ridden, and like it a lot, even if you can only adjust the rebound, but I hear from some that the crowns crack easy.

Anyway, sell me on one of them. I can't decide.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
my boy ben throws down with a white gold label and well he wont ever run a different jumper fork. ive got a little bit of time on it and damn that thing is awsome. thats all i got to say. except that the marzocchi djers are way to heavy for what they are.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I have a 06 Rock Shox Revelation Air with U-Turn for sale $300. It is just like the Pike but without the 20mm axle and only 3.9lbs. Let me know if you want it if you are thinking of used forks.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
I will be buying a new fork, not a used one, and it has to have a 20mm Axle. The '07 DJ's changed from the SSV to RV damping, the same as the 4X World Cup, and are much lighter then the older DJs. They are about 6.5 with the steer tube, but they don't feel nearly that heavy. I currently ride an '04 DJ 3 with the steel stancions and steel steerer tube, it feels much much heavier then the new DJs. But then again, the Argyle is like 5.5 pounds with steer tube and the the Gold Label I believe is about 5.25 with the steer tube. I'm more interested in the reliability, feel, and "serviceability" of the 3 rather then the weight.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I will be buying a new fork, not a used one, and it has to have a 20mm Axle. The '07 DJ's changed from the SSV to RV damping, the same as the 4X World Cup, and are much lighter then the older DJs. They are about 6.5 with the steer tube, but they don't feel nearly that heavy. I currently ride an '04 DJ 3 with the steel stancions and steel steerer tube, it feels much much heavier then the new DJs. But then again, the Argyle is like 5.5 pounds with steer tube and the the Gold Label I believe is about 5.25 with the steer tube. I'm more interested in the reliability, feel, and "serviceability" of the 3 rather then the weight.

Cool, just throwing it out there for you.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Jeff Faircloth (red DOC) has an Argyle and he really likes it.

He also has a brand new Gold Label that he'd probably sell you. Its literally straight from Manitou. He got it as a warranty replacement but couldnt wait and bought the rockshock. I can put you in touch with him if you're interested.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Jeff Faircloth (red DOC) has an Argyle and he really likes it.

He also has a brand new Gold Label that he'd probably sell you. Its literally straight from Manitou. He got it as a warranty replacement but couldnt wait and bought the rockshock. I can put you in touch with him if you're interested.
Thanks for the info Alex, but the bike I'm ordering comes with either an Argyle or a Gold Label as part of the complete build. If I was buying a frame only, I would definitely go for that though.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
My buddy has a gold label, and its stiff as Hell! The springs i mean, im about 180 and i can barely make the fork compress 1cm, personally i find it a bit too stiff. I would go with the Argyle, RS has really turned around since SRAM took over. If I had a smaller dj/park bike i wouldnt hesitate to put an Argyle on it.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Go with the Minute 07 fork with 20mm dropouts
it comes with spv - you can't go wrong with that!
also adjustable travel!
I own an 06 it is great just the rebound knob prob.
hopefully they've fixed that for 07 as many people
that I know to have had probs with it.
Perfect fork besides that GL-

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
:stupid:

I have a 05 Minute that I have been dirt jumping and MTNx racing for over a year and its been great. The SPV is great for DJ. Check out the 07s with the 20mm lowers. (If its an option on your complete build)

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
I rode jeff's Argyle and why it does look strange it rides awesome. Nice and stiff but gives up teh sag when you need it. Also seemed very light.

On that note I love my manitous and if the Gold is anything like teh shermans Im sold on that.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
On that note I love my manitous and if the Gold is anything like teh shermans Im sold on that.
Yea. From what I understand, the Sherman Jumper or Firefly/Flick that is lowered to 100 or 80mm is regarded as one of the best DJ/Urban forks ever made, but they either had TPC+ or SPV. The Gold Labels use FluidFlow dampening, the same as in the Stance line of forks. Those forks were/are garbage, but if I'm not mistaken, the problems of that fork weren't related to the dampeneing at all, but more the lubrication system and crappy structural integrity.

I'm thinking I might just give the Argyle a try. I don't have any experience on the new RockShox forks, but I have yet to hear a bad thing about them. I work at a bike shop now so switching to a different fork wouldn't be a big deal if a didn't like it. It sucks choosing between two forks that you haven't ridden before.