Quantcast

Sell me on Honda Civics

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
In the market for a new (used) car. Looking heavily at civics even though I want a wagon. Several in my area for good prices around 1999. Google can only tell me so much. Anyone have a Civic? I saw that there was one famous 1995 Civic that got 940k miles out of the original engine and transmission, is this what to expect from Honda in general?

My driving is a mixture between city and highway.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
"sell me on it" was more to ask if anyone had experience with them.

I want a wagon badly, it's just difficult to find one around here for some reason. I was about to close on a WRX Hatchback, but they decided not to sell it. :rant:
Get a standard (non-turbo) Impreza hatch. They cost notably less, insurance is cheap, and they get better mileage than a WRX with non-premium gas.

There is not really much of a debate if you want a cheap, small wagon. Your only real options are the Impreza and the Lancer. The upside to the Impreza is that used parts are readily available in the secondary market and tutorials are everywhere. If you need to fix something, you can find the part and fix it yourself for next to nothing.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Get a standard (non-turbo) Impreza hatch. They cost notably less, insurance is cheap, and they get better mileage than a WRX with non-premium gas.

There is not really much of a debate if you want a cheap, small wagon. Your only real options are the Impreza and the Lancer. The upside to the Impreza is that used parts are readily available in the secondary market and tutorials are everywhere. If you need to fix something, you can find the part and fix it yourself for next to nothing.
Thats all well and good, but it was hard enough to find the one I was about to buy. Dealers charge stupid high for anything Subaru, even if its 20yrs old. I was talking to one dealer who wanted 12,000 for a 1994 Legacy. :rolleyes:

Yelo

Monkey
Aug 3, 2008
Quebec city, Quebec, Canada
No problem to have with an honda civic IF yo don't go for an 2001 to 2005-6 model, those where far from a typical honda. I'm on my third honda, first one have been 200 000 + KM and the second one was 256 000 KM when I sold them, engine and tranny where A1 in both case.... I now have an '07 Honda fit, try finding one if you can afford one, best car I ever had so far and lots of space even for a small car....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thats all well and good, but it was hard enough to find the one I was about to buy. Dealers charge stupid high for anything Subaru, even if its 20yrs old. I was talking to one dealer who wanted 12,000 for a 1994 Legacy. :rolleyes:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-Subaru-Impreza-Outback-Sport-wagon-nice-/200617968596?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2eb5c343d4

Done. Have it inspected and buy new tires. A maintained Subaru has a life of 250k easily. I sold my 2003 TS Wagon for $9500 with 60k on the clock, and I got a premium for it.

Stop looking at dealers, go find some private owners (even if it means driving somewhere to get it), have the cars inspected by independent Subaru shops/Dealerships, and pull the trigger.

I found my current Subie on a Forester forum in PA. It was cheaper for me to fly to Philly and drive the car back than to buy one locally. You need to think outside of the box.

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
Have an '04 Civic and I like it. Probably wouldn't own a car this small if I didn't commute as much as I do (work construction, jobsites are all over the place) I'm doing about 30-40K miles per year, only makes sense to drive a Civic for the gas mileage. They are cheap to maintain and you can't do much better for mileage. The amount of road noise leaves a lot to be desired and if you get into a squabble with a large vehicle, good luck. Other than that, they are fantastic cars and I will continue to buy Honda.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
89 honda civic wagon -- I've changed the oil, brakes, cv joints and a timing belt in 16 YEARS

we also have a 06 suby outback...

widen your circle re: used cars and you'll find something

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I have narrowed dealers completely out of my search, and am looking only at private owners... that Impreza is :drool: I just can't afford to fly to Nevada and drive it back... 3 days away from work.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I found my current Subie on a Forester forum in PA. It was cheaper for me to fly to Philly and drive the car back than to buy one locally. You need to think outside of the box.
WTF?

$400-500 in gas, four days at least - probably more - of opportunity cost, meals and hotel, $100+ plane ticket, 3k miles wear and tear on the car and tires... was cheaper than anything you could find locally?

I think you're doing it wrong.

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
The car to buy. Only a Honda. Still have a 94 accord my kid now drives w/210k and no oil leaks or burning. I have the 07 civic. No issues and now they all have timing chains so no work at all to maintain. If you get a 2011 you should get a good deal since they just changed the model over.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i bought an 02 in 04 w/ 55K on it. now it's 140K and the only work i've done to it was replace brake calipers/rotors.

pretty bombproof. cheap. i typically average 36-38 mpg, in a mix of suburban and highway driving (my last tank was 40).

not that great in snow, but i'm sure snow tires would help.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
All I know is that if you get one with an automatic and you install a fart can exhaust and a huge spoiler on the back you get like a 1000hp supercar.

I have a ZX3 Focus with 180K...been a great little car.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I still have my 97 Civic though I NEVER drive. It's been pretty much idle for 6 years. But I've never had any problems with it even when I did drive it.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
There is also the Ford Focus Wagon. Euro styling and not a bad car to drive. Plenty of used ones for sale.
until recently we've never gotten the Euro Focus here in the States. despite my username, id take a Honda over a older Focus.

i just got a 2006 Volvo V70 wagon. big inside, good mileage, safe and reliable

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
until recently we've never gotten the Euro Focus here in the States. despite my username, id take a Honda over a older Focus.

i just got a 2006 Volvo V70 wagon. big inside, good mileage, safe and reliable
I know its not the Euro Focus but it looks the same and pretty much feels the same. I have driven both. No Civic wagon which to me would be a big selling point.