Quantcast

Sell/Swap or Keep...car confusion

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
here's the deal.

i have to decide what to do with my old van. all of the major problems it had have been fixed and it's in pretty good condition.
it's a '97 Grand Caravan with 151k miles.

i also have my '88 s10 that is my primary mode of transportation when i'm not working. it has 130k miles and seems to running fine.

so here are my options.

1. Sell the van to carmax as planned and just have my new van and my truck. the only bad thing about me having just a truck is that if my wife has the van i can only take 1 of 3 kids with me. it would be nice if my primary vehicle had kid-toting capababilities.

2. Keep the van for me and sell the truck. i'd lose some of the utility of the truck but both vehicles get about the same gas mileage. i have a hitch rack for the van so i'd still be able to use it as my ride vehicle....it'll just take a tiny bit longer to get the bikes on/off.

3. sell the truck and trade the van to my mom for her '96 Nissan pickup. i'd be in the same boat passenger-wise but would have a newer, foreign truck that works just fine and my mom would have something to tote the grandkids around in when she has them.

so...what would you do?

all vehicles involved are paid for.

note: i'm going to take my van to carmax tomorrow and get a quote so i know about how much i can get for it...i'll post that amount tomorrow as it may help in my decision.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What about a cheap full sized truck to replace the S10 and a new van? If you got a cheap full sized 2wd (cheap as in base model no fancy crap) you could haul 2 of 3 kids or an extra cab would haul everyone and everything.

I got a cheap full sized truck because I haul stuff all the time. A friend of mine got an extra cab Chevy with a V6 and gets good milage too (Forestry truck at auction for next to nothing). Plastic seats, 5 speed, no special nothing and works great.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Can you sell both and buy a used double-cab pickup? Not sure how much they are worth after everything is said and done, but then you will have most of the utility you have now (probably a smaller bed, but still a bed), similar gas mileage, and room for all the kiddos.

If not, I say keep the van. For me, a vehicle is all about function/convenience... especially if it's my ownly vehicle. I'd rather lose a bit of the utility but still be able to carry all the kids. But it really depends on what you use - I need to be able to load up both my kids and their crap every day, so a regular cab pickup would never work for me.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Buy a 4 door crew cab truck and sell the older vehicles before they become worthless.

Go for diesel, then you'll be happy you can make your own fuel when gas hits $5 a gallon.

Edit: what birthday boy said.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
ok, buying a bigger vehicle isn't really a feasible option. why would i trade 20+mpg on both vehicles for less mpg in something that still won't hold 3 kids in car seats. i'm sorry, but i'd likely only get $1500 for the van and maybe $1k for the truck. i've NEVER seen a full sized crew cab truck that can fit all 3 kids for less than $20k.

so....i suppose i'll make this eaiser. which of the 3 options listed would you choose? buying a bigger truck that still won't fit 3 kids isn't an option.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
it sounds like, from the options given, that selling your truck is the most practical option. You are married with children, so being an already domesticated shell of a man, it shouldnt be too much of a blow to your ego to rock the mini van. :rofl:

Your new custom title should be "Soccermom"

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
BurlyShirley said:
That would fit nicely on the back of a BHW jersey.

I vote get ride of the van. More room for people, and more dry stuff. Same gas mileage. Plus Demo8+Minivan=a soccer mom i would swerve to check out (and then be sorely dissapointed about seeing your a$$ behind the wheel)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BurlyShirley said:
it sounds like, from the options given, that selling your truck is the most practical option. You are married with children, so being an already domesticated shell of a man, it shouldnt be too much of a blow to your ego to rock the mini van. :rofl:

This is why I will hold onto my little truck with a death grip. The wife already suggested getting rid of it, and I think I scared her a little with my reaction.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I didn't know you needed the money. I was talking about a 2wd extended cab in the early 90's (1989 to 1992). They are all over here for under $3000. The TBI motors get about 18mpg and haul twice as much inside and out compared to your S10.

But based on your choices, I would say hawk the truck and get a rack for the van, or get your mom's truck.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
update:

i guess i'll be selling the van for sure. i took it to carmax today to get an idea of what they'd give me for it. then, just as the sales guy is looking at my van...pop! radiator blows and green crap everywhere!

so i'm definitely going to sell it but the question now is do i fork out the money to fix the radiator or just sell as-is. i was thinking of selling as is, putting "for sale" stuff on it with "se habla espanol" and putting it out near the latino side of town. i'd sell it for a little less and let the buyer know of the radiator issue. i patched it for now but i'd feel uncomfortable selling it to some family w/out letting them know what it needs.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
manimal said:
update:
i guess i'll be selling the van for sure. i took it to carmax today to get an idea of what they'd give me for it. then, just as the sales guy is looking at my van...pop! radiator blows and green crap everywhere!
Update: God is officially dead