Quantcast

Selle, you're a fine seat || What a good seat you would be || But my life, my lover, my lady is my taint

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Looking for the perfect seat (Searching for the perfect seat)
Looking for the perfect seat (Seeking for the perfect seat)
I must get mine (I'm out to get it)
I must get mine (I'm out to get it)

After my recent vasectomy, perineum related numbness has gone up significantly. I believe this is probably temporary, but might last a while. I get a little soreness on the spin bike, but my recent road ride was really pretty painful. I adjusted my saddle down a little out on the road, but it was either too late or not enough. I've been riding that same setup for a couple years, so I have trouble believing that's the problem all of a sudden.

So, I'm looking for more taint-friendly seats. Has anybody experimented with any? It looks like for a minimal investment I can get demo versions of the heavy hitters and once I find one that agrees with free willy, I can invest in one that isn't so ugly. Right now, I'm considering:
Selle SMP Drakon
Cobb Gen 2, Max, Randee, Merica
ISM Adamo
Specialized Power

I am open to other suggestions. A lot of these short nose saddles sound like they might be the ticket, especially if they have a BIG TAINT cutout. Anybody been through anything similar? I ride with pretty thick and comfortable chamois shorts. My guess is that as I do more road biking, I'm getting more flexible and can now spend more time in the drops and leaned forward, and that's pinching my taintular nerve. I don't want to spend big bucks, and I'm apprehensive about a demo program as I simply don't get enough ride time to demo a saddle, return it, demo another one, all within short order. Plus that locks me into buying a $300 saddle from an LBS, and no thanks.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
1578920580242.png

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Have you considered a proper saddle fitting?
yes, but as I'm building up a new bike, I'd like to get it "finished" then take it to have it adjusted and modified as appropriate to get 100% comfortable on it. That's what I did on the last bike and I don't really feel like I need a fitting on it. I just get soreness in my nether bits- and that's a recent issue. I'll do the same with the stem on the new bike- ride something old until I can judge the right length, then buy the right one.

I figure I can spend $400 on a professional fitting, or I can drop $100 on some demo saddles, ride them at my leisure, put one on the spin bike and one on the real bike, then sell the rest.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
My recent snippage left me with no changes. Hm. Sucks and sorry to hear that.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
I'm also looking at the Selle San Marco shortfit, Selle Italia Novus Boost, SP01 Boost and SLR Superflow...
Don't' shy away from the smaller, rounder style of saddle - 130~mm as opposed to 143mm which is median-sized. Larger and flatter (side edge to side edge, not front to back) can be what's shifting pressure upon the perineal.

Prologo W650 and the three-zones are not best for road riding, where minimal movement over the bottom bracket is ideal. Prologo is a good reference point though so - Gold Star :stosh:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yes, but as I'm building up a new bike, I'd like to get it "finished" then take it to have it adjusted and modified as appropriate to get 100% comfortable on it. That's what I did on the last bike and I don't really feel like I need a fitting on it. I just get soreness in my nether bits- and that's a recent issue. I'll do the same with the stem on the new bike- ride something old until I can judge the right length, then buy the right one.

I figure I can spend $400 on a professional fitting, or I can drop $100 on some demo saddles, ride them at my leisure, put one on the spin bike and one on the real bike, then sell the rest.
i wasn't referring to a full bike bitting, but specialized now does this thing where the analyze your sitting position and recommend a saddle based on that. as much as i hate specialized i know a few people who have done it and were pleased with the results.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Don't' shy away from the smaller, rounder style of saddle - 130~mm as opposed to 143mm which is median-sized. Larger and flatter (side edge to side edge, not front to back) can be what's shifting pressure upon the perineal.

Prologo W650 and the three-zones are not best for road riding, where minimal movement over the bottom bracket is ideal. Prologo is a good reference point though so - Gold Star :stosh:
Right now I'm on a Selle Italia SLR Flow, which has been a wonderful saddle on many of my bikes, but again I'm guessing the aggressive positions I'm getting into now are rolling me onto softer tissue...or inflammation from the snip is spreading to nerves down there.
1578921871586.jpeg

My sit bones measure at 118ish mm. I believe that puts me at 130-145mm saddle range. I'd only go that wide if it's on a power saddle, which doesn't come narrower.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I saw 3 people on recumbent trikes yesterday, maybe they had recent vasectomies.
I work near a retirement community. I see these atrocities daily. My favorite is those pointless treadmill things, where you run and go running speed, but there's a whole shitload of hardware between you and the ground.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
My sit bones measure at 118ish mm. I believe that puts me at 130-145mm saddle range. I'd only go that wide if it's on a power saddle, which doesn't come narrower.
Even w/ doing a physio measurement it all depends on the saddle shape. The Ridley I smash around on is on the best saddle so far - no. 5 in three years. The Ti-Rail Prologo Zero looks counter-intuitive since narrow. The old adage of best being where it feels like it's disappeared is correct.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Specialized Romin with Ti rails are my normal go to nowadays, although I bought the fancy carbon railed version for my super roadbike build.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It is curious that one can have taint numbness and soreness simultaneously

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I bought the cheapest Bontrager Aeolus saddle for my Checkpoint last spring on a recommendation from a friend (who happens to work at the Trek store :brow:). Figured I'd give it a try since they have a 90 day, unconditional guarantee or something, and it was low/no risk. Got my ass bones measured and bought the corresponding size. Turned out to be the best saddle I've ever owned, and I bought a second, lighter version for my Endurace. I have probably 4000 miles on the two combined, and no regerts.

Not sure if I'd like the width on a mountain bike, but on a road/road-ish bike, it's perfect for me.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I recently picked up a 611 Active Chromoly Saddle from SQ lab after reading positive things on other forums and seeing / talking to them at the Philly bike expo. I only have a few rides on it but like it so far. Compared to the WTB Pure V I was using before, there is less pressure on the taint area, but more pressure on the sit bones. This felt weird the first ride with it, but then I got used to it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
i typically buy them on e-bay when I see them for under $50
Always near new from eBay, only the carbon railed for my super roadie was new, but I bought it from a UK bike shop for about 60% off.