Quantcast

Selle, you're a fine seat || What a good seat you would be || But my life, my lover, my lady is my taint

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
When I was last taint surfing...

... I found these saddles recommended by "long distance riders."

I like mine (x1 I think, leather) though it's more of a taint hammock than the models on your short list:

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Best bet is to go to a bike shop known for fitting and showing them your taint to see what kind of saddle they recommend. Preferably freshly shorn for the most accurate assessment.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
When I was last taint surfing...

... I found these saddles recommended by "long distance riders."

I like mine (x1 I think, leather) though it's more of a taint hammock than the models on your short list:

thanks. that's a little fancy for me. If I'm compromising weight for comfort, I don't want fancy- I want weird ergonomic doodads.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Someone in front of me seated at the gate has a briggs and riley roll on. Doesn't look very monocle.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Wrong thread bru
Random search on phone for briggs while about to board a plane dictated this was the right thread.

I will be sure to make up for it by posting about saddles in the luggage thread.

/wishes searches on RM didn't think results from a decade ago were the "most relevant" by default.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
No love for the SDG Bel Air? I always liked the Selle Italia seats but they were pricey and most were quite low profile which(for me) would cause the middle of the seat to contact the head of the post.

My current dropper has a massive hump at the clamping area so to reduce the aural and taint annoyances I need to go to something that sits a bit higher so the seat doesn't contact the post head on the slightest bump. If SDG did the Bel-Air with a leather cover I would have bought at least one, if I can't find something similar in leather soon I'll have to give in and go a vinyl seat.
1579596082407.png

My old man went to a Chromag Trailmaster LTD after his prostate cancer op and he likes it, I found them a touch wide in the middle for longer rides, sadly that is the only one they make with a nice non perforated leather cover.

I tried a coupe of fabrics and they were not for me, so glad my LBS had a trial system, hadn't sat on something that uncomfortable since trying some weird flat fizik thing a few years ago.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
No love for the SDG Bel Air? I always liked the Selle Italia seats but they were pricey and most were quite low profile which(for me) would cause the middle of the seat to contact the head of the post.

My current dropper has a massive hump at the clamping area so to reduce the aural and taint annoyances I need to go to something that sits a bit higher so the seat doesn't contact the post head on the slightest bump. If SDG did the Bel-Air with a leather cover I would have bought at least one, if I can't find something similar in leather soon I'll have to give in and go a vinyl seat.
View attachment 140254

My old man went to a Chromag Trailmaster LTD after his prostate cancer op and he likes it, I found them a touch wide in the middle for longer rides, sadly that is the only one they make with a nice non perforated leather cover.

I tried a coupe of fabrics and they were not for me, so glad my LBS had a trial system, hadn't sat on something that uncomfortable since trying some weird flat fizik thing a few years ago.
no time on that saddle, but my dilemma is primarily road oriented as I move to a more aggressive position. For the time being, my fizik has been OK on my mountain bike, which is probably because I take a more upright position. The bel end might be fine for that. I need something ULTRA FLOW compatible as I get low

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
First set of reviews, here we go:
The SMP is the one I have the least amount of time on. It's very comfortable with bike shorts on, but not really at all without. The saddle's curviness is weird- it really locks you in position, which could be a good thing, but I find if I sit up my ass hits the back with the saddle nose down, and if I lower the back, the nose comes up and I can't lean as deep into the drops. I'll have to keep playing.

The ISM was a no go for me from the start. The "magic fingers" rubbed my thighs even when adjusted correctly, and the saddle was rock hard- fairly uncomfortable even with bike shorts on. I managed to sell it for more than I paid, so I'm a happy camper and will try another one.

So far my favorite might be the Cobb Plus 2. It's just comfortable enough without shorts, but with shorts it's even better. Cured my taint pain (at least so far) but I still need to play with saddle angle to get it right. Biggest problem is how slick it is- with shorts on I can slide back and forth, which might be a good thing or bad thing depending on whether I need "locked in power" or the ability to make subtle adjustments for comfort. No time on the real bike yet, maybe soon.

I just made an offer on a Cobb Randee and will potentially buy a specialized power knockoff on Alibaba to see if that saddle design works for me...we'll see!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I bought the cheapest Bontrager Aeolus saddle for my Checkpoint last spring on a recommendation from a friend (who happens to work at the Trek store :brow:). Figured I'd give it a try since they have a 90 day, unconditional guarantee or something, and it was low/no risk. Got my ass bones measured and bought the corresponding size. Turned out to be the best saddle I've ever owned, and I bought a second, lighter version for my Endurace. I have probably 4000 miles on the two combined, and no regerts.

Not sure if I'd like the width on a mountain bike, but on a road/road-ish bike, it's perfect for me.

hey so I'm revisiting this after poking around elsewhere. I really like the SMP but the dropped nose seems excessive and the raised middle and rear makes it so that it's difficult for me to rotate forward into the drops without feeling like I'm inhibited by the saddle (ie crushing my jibblies). I'm looking for a saddle that's virtually identical but has a less exaggerated curve. Looks like the aeolus might be there. Does it have a kicked up rear to press against during climbs? Do you feel that the nose is wide/causes rubbing?

My two weird saddles measure 48 and 44 and I don't feel any rubbing, allegedly the bonty measures 44 so that should be fine.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
hey so I'm revisiting this after poking around elsewhere. I really like the SMP but the dropped nose seems excessive and the raised middle and rear makes it so that it's difficult for me to rotate forward into the drops without feeling like I'm inhibited by the saddle (ie crushing my jibblies). I'm looking for a saddle that's virtually identical but has a less exaggerated curve. Looks like the aeolus might be there. Does it have a kicked up rear to press against during climbs? Do you feel that the nose is wide/causes rubbing?

My two weird saddles measure 48 and 44 and I don't feel any rubbing, allegedly the bonty measures 44 so that should be fine.
There's nothing exaggerated about the rear, but it does kick up enough that you know where you're located on the saddle and have something to push against. The nose doesn't cause any rubbing for me.

Here's a shot from the front where you can see how much the rear kicks up. It's plenty for me.

I never got the SMP design. What's even the point of that dropped nose, why not just cut it off? It's not like you ever sit on that part of the saddle, even climbing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Beautiful, is that a domaine?

I agree about the SMP. I had hopes that it would solve issues, but it seems like it has its own issues altogether. They make a few where the scoop is less exaggerated, but they are wicked expensive for what you get. I need to get the road bike off the trainer and out on the road before making any final decisions, but I'm really swayed by the power/aeolus style seat. I just don't want another flat seat, as I don't think those are what I'm looking for either.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
That looks a little nose high to my eye. Optical illusion?
The angle may make it look higher than it is. The tip is lower than the tail, but relative to the main flat section of the saddle, the tip is slightly up. Helps keep pressure on my sit bones and off my taint that way.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Okay so the update nobody has been waiting for:

The Cobb plus 2 has landed on my spin bike and will probably stay there forever (or until I find other dumb thing to do). I tried it on the new roadie and it is really nice but the flatness/lack of curve to the profile causes me to slide back and forth with spandy shorts on. Also, the height of the rails messes with seatpost position. That being said, the long and tall rails provide some natural suspension that my newer saddle does not. The cutout and dropped nose is super comfortable.

The SMP I just never got along with. The nose has too much rise or the tail has too much height, there's no balance. The cutout is super comfortable and for a more upright bike/riding style, it's spot on. I managed to keep it after selling my road bike so it might go on my commuter or even trail bike when this is all done. I like it, don't love it.

Anyways, I splurged and bought an astute time lite vt. Astute is a now-dead italian saddle brand that you can get for pennies on the dollar from some weird midwestern motocross online store. They had a really nice road saddle called the sun lite vt that had memory foam and carbon rails and a nice cutout that was pretty dope, then they cut 20mm out of the nose to keep up with trends and here we are. It's short so my balls hang free, it's got a small cutout but the "rails" are fairly far apart to keep circulation good, and it's light as fuck. About 180g. The carbon rails unfortunately do not flex and it certainly feels stiffer than the plus 2 I rode before. I didn't experience any numbness on my last 30mi ride so I think we might be good to go. Plus it matches the fluoro accents on the rest of my dope ride

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Poached the Park. Cobbs Hill Rochester NY. Not a Soul seen or interacted with. Cygo Light Battery replacement worked like a Champ.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've had a hell of a time finding some comfort since I started switching saddles around, one of my setups was "never" comfortable, I just never realized it cuz I was riding a lot of tech and constantly getting off of the saddle. I tried to run that setup, with a suspension post, on the Iditarod and it tore me up, one of the reasons I injured my knee I think, because I was standing all the time. So I ordered one of those Bikeyoke Sagma, but that definitely doesn't do it either. I can feel the bump absorption, but the shape is not contoured enough, it's like damn near flat. Crazy, my what seems like rock-hard-by-comparison Selle Italia SLR is the money. That one feels like a dream and I can just crank out mile after mile without thinking about my ass hurting.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I have to admit I just pretty much scrolled through this whole thread in 10 seconds, but has no-one mentioned Ergon?
(This whole thing is just another reason not to have a vasectomy.)