Quantcast

Selling a Car

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I need some advice here. In the past I've only sold my cars for a few thousand or less, beaters that I don't really care about.

I currently have my car listed for sale, but because of what it is, it seems to be attracting a few "kids".

I don't want randoms saying they are interested, coming to look at the car and then asking for a test drive and then never hearing from them again.

Is it out of line to ask people for proof that they have the cash to buy it, before taking it for a test drive? If this was a $5000 car, I wouldn't care...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Accompany all interested parties on the test drive. Shoot them in the face if they try to flim flam you. Clean your teeth with a switchblade during the testdrive. Tell them to put on their seat belt and then tell them you saw this in a cartoon once. Then close your eyes and start singing Mustapha in a low voice while gently rocking back and forth....

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sold my last one on a consignment lot, they wanted 500 or 1000 or something, but I got a hell of a lot moe than the dealer would have given me. Dealer was doing to give me like 17K after all their ridiculous depreciations, sold it for 24K and pocketed at least 23K, which was well worth it.

It actually sold sooner than I expected/wanted, but I loved rubbing the selling price in the dealers face.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've already had one dude say that he only has 10k, but loves the car and needs a vehicle for work. My response was, "look for a 10k car?". He then responded an hour later saying one of his buddies loaned him another $1000. This is the last car I'd want as a "work" vehicle, might as well buy an Audi or step up to the ////////////M plate. :rofl:

I have another guy, which seems to be pretty serious about looking at the car. Though from what I gather, it is a father/son deal. Son is looking for a car and the dad is going to pay for it. They want to take a look at it this Saturday (ugh...prime biking day) and if he likes it, put a deposit down to make sure I don't sell it to anyone else. Then, bring cash a few days later. Not sure if scam or not. :popcorn:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I've been buying and selling various things since the late 80s and the only thing I've learned is you never know who has the cash until they show up, talkers are almost aways walkers. Those that have the cash generally aren't going to advertise it or try to talk you down before they've seen and driven the car. OH money talks and bullshit tries to be money.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I've already had one dude say that he only has 10k, but loves the car and needs a vehicle for work. My response was, "look for a 10k car?". He then responded an hour later saying one of his buddies loaned him another $1000. This is the last car I'd want as a "work" vehicle, might as well buy an Audi or step up to the ////////////M plate. :rofl:

I have another guy, which seems to be pretty serious about looking at the car. Though from what I gather, it is a father/son deal. Son is looking for a car and the dad is going to pay for it. They want to take a look at it this Saturday (ugh...prime biking day) and if he likes it, put a deposit down to make sure I don't sell it to anyone else. Then, bring cash a few days later. Not sure if scam or not. :popcorn:
Well you gotta do the work if you want to sell the car. You can't pick and choose the perfect seller. I will say no deposit. Either they pay or no car.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Well you gotta do the work if you want to sell the car. You can't pick and choose the perfect seller. I will say no deposit. Either they pay or no car.
True. I don't care who buys it, as long as they have the cash. My only fear is wasting time, which will take away from bicycle riding time.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Depending on how modded out you are, you're making it hard. List it on NASIOC too, as that's a group that likes modded WRX's. If you still have your stock parts, swap them back and take it to carmax, then sell your am parts.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Depending on how modded out you are, you're making it hard. List it on NASIOC too, as that's a group that likes modded WRX's. If you still have your stock parts, swap them back and take it to carmax, then sell your am parts.
I wish...CarMax doesn't exist here :(. NASIOC is also pretty "small" up here, I do have the car listed on our local Subaru club.

We'll see what happens, I'm not in a rush to sell it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I wish...CarMax doesn't exist here :(. NASIOC is also pretty "small" up here, I do have the car listed on our local Subaru club.

We'll see what happens, I'm not in a rush to sell it.
Oh right, Canuckistan. Good luck.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
You brought it on yourself by buying a Subaru, bro-tato.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Why not just keep the car?
I drive way too much for it to make sense to keep the car. I put over 60000km on it last year, and while it took it in stride, I'm a car guy and don't want to beat it into the ground. Plus gas is expensive up here and this thing sucks it back like a truck.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I drive way too much for it to make sense to keep the car. I put over 60000km on it last year, and while it took it in stride, I'm a car guy and don't want to beat it into the ground. Plus gas is expensive up here and this thing sucks it back like a truck.
I'd wager you lose more in depreciation than you pay in gas, even at Canadian rates. Just run it to the ground already, or total it as I did with mine. Insurance payout was way more than I could have gotten for mine since I had a rider for the aftermarket crap. Iirc I got $21k - deductible for something I paid $12.5?k for and put a few grand into before wrecking it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'd wager you lose more in depreciation than you pay in gas, even at Canadian rates. Just run it to the ground already, or total it as I did with mine. Insurance payout was way more than I could have gotten for mine since I had a rider for the aftermarket crap. Iirc I got $21k - deductible for something I paid $12.5?k for and put a few grand into before wrecking it.
What about when the engine grenades itself? :busted:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just take good care of it and don't drive it as a Stoney would :) I don't see either how buying a and selling would be a financially better.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
No cash, no keys. I've never let anyone drive or ride off without the cash in hand. They could wipe out 50 feet from the driveway and it's all good.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
...or total it as I did with mine. Insurance payout was way more than I could have gotten for mine since I had a rider for the aftermarket crap. Iirc I got $21k - deductible for something I paid $12.5?k for and put a few grand into before wrecking it.
:stupid:

My $4k Vette paid out at $11k. :rofl:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Plus, when I sold my wrx, two cars ago, people were going crazy to buy it from me. I typically don't ask for unreasonable amounts tho.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
FFS man, it's a mass-produced hot hatch not some collectible.
Drive the wheels off it, enjoy your time in it, and screw the gas prices.
Anything you get into will be marginal gains in MPG in trade for driving an appliance.
When you start to get upside down due to miles, set it on fire and buy a new one.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
A buyer might legit need time to get the cash together. A deposit can work but it should non-refundable no matter what. Tell them you need at least $1,000 down and that you will apply it to the purchase price if they buy the car within 3 days, but otherwise you keep it as payment for not accepting another offer during that time. If that scares them off, they're jerking your chain.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
What about when the engine grenades itself? :busted:
a girl i worked with told me the story of her mom getting rid of a car she no longer wanted by ditching it in a canal and reporting it stolen when she was a kid in florida....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
A buyer might legit need time to get the cash together. A deposit can work but it should non-refundable no matter what. Tell them you need at least $1,000 down and that you will apply it to the purchase price if they buy the car within 3 days, but otherwise you keep it as payment for not accepting another offer during that time. If that scares them off, they're jerking your chain.
Judge Judy is also gonna want to see this in writing so cover your bases.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ride shotgun on the test drive with e-brake in hand?

There was a funny article about selling a Skyline on CL and the types of customers it attracted. :panic:

http://jalopnik.com/heres-why-its-so-hard-to-sell-a-nissan-skyline-gt-r-1742974495

these people are having trouble finding a bank willing to write a loan for a 25-year-old imported Nissan that doesn’t exist in their computer system. And then, when the loan officer finds out these people want to borrow more than $20,000 to pay for this Nissan, he starts laughing, and laughing, and then he calls up other banks to tell them about the guy who wants to pay $20,000 for a 25-year-old Nissan, much like a doctor might parade around a patient with a rare disease so other doctors can see it.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Isn't that only like 300 miles?

I've bought and sold a shit ton of cars. Deposit is not unreasonable. I typically don't ask anything of people wanting to look and test drive the car seeing as it's reasonable and they aren't douchy. I won't hold anything without cash in hand. If you can't at least manage to come up with a $500 (non-refundable) deposit, then f off.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Isn't that only like 300 miles?
Almost 40...000 miles.

So a quick calculation tells me that for every tank of gas that I fillup in a Mazda 5, I'll save $20.

At the end of this summer, I'll need new summer tires. There's no cheap Tire Rack option up here.

The throwout bearing on the clutch is gone, but isn't making horrible noises......yet.

And the clutch pedal is clicking. I'm sure Stoney knows what this is as its a common issue on this era of Subaru. Eventually the pedal assembly welds on the firewall will fail. This means taking most of the dash apart to fix it correctly.

And with what happened to the front suspension over the last few months, I really don't want to even bother with that again.

I know I'll lose money on this, but I don't really care. I love the car, but everything is pointing towards telling me to ditch it before it really starts sucking back the $$$.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
An interesting comparison, I was in a similar situation. I bought my car in Nov '13 with 70k miles on it. It currently has 142k on it. In the 2.5 years, I've put on a set of tires ($600 from Tire Rack), did the brakes last year ($350 with upgrades) and have done some precautionary mods ($100). The wifey was talking about selling it, I decided I love it enough to drop $1300 for the clutch parts and spend the $1580 to have it all installed. Not cheap, but the motor is supposed to be good for 300k. If the rear end needs attention, it is $1100 for the upgrade and my transmission is solid but might get new shift forks and seals.

While I got an amazing deal, the release of the C7 made the values of C5's bottom out. So while I could sell it rather than fix it, I would likely get dick for it with that many miles (there are tons out there with less than 100k). So I will likely drive my car into the ground, but I am not wreaking this one. :rofl:

Bottom line, it is just a damn car. There are plenty more out there, too.

/coolstorybro