Quantcast

Selling a Car

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Almost 40...000 miles.

So a quick calculation tells me that for every tank of gas that I fillup in a Mazda 5, I'll save $20.

At the end of this summer, I'll need new summer tires. There's no cheap Tire Rack option up here.

The throwout bearing on the clutch is gone, but isn't making horrible noises......yet.

And the clutch pedal is clicking. I'm sure Stoney knows what this is as its a common issue on this era of Subaru. Eventually the pedal assembly welds on the firewall will fail. This means taking most of the dash apart to fix it correctly.

And with what happened to the front suspension over the last few years, I really don't want to even bother with that again.

I know I'll lose money on this, but I don't really care. I love the car, but everything is pointing towards telling me to ditch it before it really starts sucking back the $$$.
You want it gone. You're trying to rationalize it. I get it. Still is a better deal to hang onto it. $20/tank won't cover the transaction costs, assuming one pays tax on automobiles up in Canada, let alone the loss you'll realize. :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've found a 75 year old, who has a 2002 Mazda Protégé5 for sale, 49700 miles on it. No rust and its a 5 speed.

Possible unicorn?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Also you need to make up you mind with cars. Wasn't you original post when you bought the Subaru you wanted a 5000 Dollar car and then you got the VRX. Now you want to sell that to buy some other even older car. Most of us are old dudes with kids who have given up on our dreams and cool cars who just try to balance the budget and have enough money to buy bikes and find time to ride them.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Also you need to make up you mind with cars. Wasn't you original post when you bought the Subaru you wanted a 5000 Dollar car and then you got the VRX. Now you want to sell that to buy some other even older car. Most of us are old dudes with kids who have given up on our dreams and cool cars who just try to balance the budget and have enough money to buy bikes and find time to ride them.
Yep. I should have gotten the cheaper car. Maybe I've realized over the last while that I don't need a car like this..

I also purchased the car just after getting this job out of college AND I was fat and not really riding bikes regularly at the time. Things have flipped, except for the fat thing.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I ride 27-30 miles in the morning before work and then another 5 to work. I will guarantee you there will be weight loss and speed gains.
Props. I dunno how you do it, maybe there are more dickbag drivers up here but even riding to the store to grab something usually results in a brown in the pants moment from someone being too close.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Props. I dunno how you do it, maybe there are more dickbag drivers up here but even riding to the store to grab something usually results in a brown in the pants moment from someone being too close.
Everywhere I go in TO there are sidewalks. I can't think of a better way to keep the old folks off of them by being confronted by you on a daily basis. Jumping Curb cuts and scaring childrens is a important role to keep society in check.....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Agreed. I need Canadmos to NOT buy a baby mama magnet.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Everywhere I go in TO there are sidewalks. I can't think of a better way to keep the old folks off of them by being confronted by you on a daily basis. Jumping Curb cuts and scaring childrens is a important role to keep society in check.....
I'd have to commute on bike through the rural suburbs. You know, where all the dentists with extra large SUV's live. The worst idiots to be around on a bike... Yes this is just another excuse for being a road pussy. :D

@Serial Midget what's wrong with attracting soccer moms? Maybe I'll rent a dog next. :brows:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I miss being able to ride to work. Then again, I miss being able to take the bus/train. :rofl:

At least my drive is often pleasurable when in the car. When in the truck, it is pure utility.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I'd have to commute on bike through the rural suburbs. You know, where all the dentists with extra large SUV's live. The worst idiots to be around on a bike... Yes this is just another excuse for being a road pussy. :D

@Serial Midget what's wrong with attracting soccer moms? Maybe I'll rent a dog next. :brows:
I for one am getting sick of all your lame excuses. Get off my Lawn. Now....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Bongshed is gone. Tree platform has been compromised. I like their work however. Hibachi grilling is cool. My hammock smells like BO and I don't. I realized this way to late for my comfort.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Got a call this morning from another guy, offering to come tonight with a check to buy the car. For more than what I have it listed for.

I told him I'm going to look at a car for myself tonight, so I'll give him a call back.

So if the Mazda pans out and isn't a pile, do I take this guy's offer and ditch the meeting tomorrow with the kid/father combo? Or do I wait until after the meetup tomorrow to decide? Maybe my inner Canadian is coming out, but I'd feel like a dick bailing on the kid. We've talked a ton about the car over the last few days and he seems rather excited to check it out.

But cash money is cash money..

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Sounds like a scammer. Even certified checks can be forged.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I still have the fake check a guy sent my son for his bug. The first thing they told us in the police fraud class about checks: "If there isn't at least one perforated edge, it's fake". You can make fake "legit" checks easy enough, but the one major tell tale sign is 4 smooth edges.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sounds like a scammer. Even certified checks can be forged.
True. I'd be asking for a certified check and then taking it to my bank to be processed, before signing ownership over.

When I say he's offering more, I should re-state that. I listed the car on two sites. On one I listed it for $500 more, which is the price he is offering.

I just did some creepin' and this guy called me from his work phone, which is a Ford dealership. I also now know his full name and have his picture. So knees will be broken if he fucks this up. :D

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
1. stick to your word. meet the father/son as you planned.
2. new guy: CASH ONLY. If he can get a certified check he can hand you cash, and if he is so gung ho about the car he will wait one day.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I do I do! I'm still meeting with the kid :)

Also went and drove that red Mazda. It is in great shape, but it has no AC. I've used my AC so far this year all of no times, but still. The clutch pedal on it is also the lightest thing I've ever tried, besides the Mercedes B class that I drove a few years ago. The price on it is cheap enough that I can just give him cash and not even worry about selling the Subaru.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Uh... just thought, no ac might mean excess condensation in cool, rainy weather, that's not baller.
It still has defrost, but yeah I never understood how that works in cars with no AC.

My Mazda 3's AC shit the bed while in college, so like you said, when it rained I'd have to drive with the windows open. It would also get frost on the inside of the windows. Good times.

Met with the kid and his father today. Good people, but I was completely upfront with them as to how horrible the car is on fuel. Father pretty much ended the deal because of that I think. :rofl: