Quantcast

selling a vehicle on ebay

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
has anyone ever sold a vehicle on Ebay? ive had no luck selling my truck on craigslist or autotrader and am desperate to move it. it makes me feel old to say that its not practical to me anymore with 3 dogs and the typical ton-o-gear for a long bike weekend. it also sucks to have to sell it since ive done most of the work myself and is still my favorite vehicle that ive owned...

i know Ebay charges $125 for a car/truck sold over $2000.01 but are there any other charges that i need to look out for? i want to avoid using paypal at all costs for the final transaction.

ive looked at various other vehicles for sale on the site and would pick and choose the best disclaimer about deposit and final payment that i see.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Sounds like you have your bases covered. I have sold 1 and bought 1 on Ebay. Just make it very clear about the non refundable deposit. Some idiots will show up, not want the truck and want their money back. Actually had a dispute about that. . . I would do at least a 10-15% deposit.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Just make it very clear about the non refundable deposit. Some idiots will show up, not want the truck and want their money back. Actually had a dispute about that. . . I would do at least a 10-15% deposit.
yeah, i saw most ads i looked at mentioned something about a non-refundable deposit. some had a percentage, some had a fixed dollar amount. im leaning towards a dollar amount of around $500ish

Have you tried to put some big for sale signs in the window?
yeah, i have but it really doesnt do any good since i live in a private community and the only people that pass are people that live in the development :rolleyes:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
The biggest thing to keep in mind is usually peeps resort to eBay because they couldn't sell it on craigslist.

Being in SoCal for the last 6 months I have seen tons of rigs on craigslist and went and looked at them in person to see they are true piles of chit even they look good from the photos. they then dissapear from craigslist and hit ebay with new descriptions stating certain things are fine, after the seller finds these things wrong from the possible buyers.

best option is to have a trust worthy person or a mechanic take a look at it for you if you cant travel to it yourself. If i am really serious about a rig I will typically pay a dealer mechanic around 50 bucks for his time driving and on the phone. It is a small price to pay considering the cost of the rig and the problems you may inherit.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The biggest thing to keep in mind is usually peeps resort to eBay because they couldn't sell it on craigslist.
which is why i said I'm resorting to selling on eBay. Craigslist isn't usually the best place to buy/sell custom vehicles though eBay is only slightly better IMO but has a bigger reach then Craigslist.
I was going to bring it to the Mopar Nationals this weekend but something came up and I am unable to go. It's a huge show with a class specific for my truck (Dakota R/T)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
which is why i said I'm resorting to selling on eBay. Craigslist isn't usually the best place to buy/sell custom vehicles though eBay is only slightly better IMO but has a bigger reach then Craigslist.
I was going to bring it to the Mopar Nationals this weekend but something came up and I am unable to go. Its a huge show with a class specific for my truck (guido'd out lowrider)
Fixed.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I was going to bring it to the Mopar Nationals this weekend but something came up and I am unable to go. It's a huge show with a class specific for my truck (Dakota R/T)
That's where you're going to sell a niche vehicle like that. I'd also work the local car shows.
R/Ts are useless to the majority of people looking for trucks so you need to actively seek out the buyers.
Factor in 'custom', whatever that entails, and the pool gets smaller still.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
That's where you're going to sell a niche vehicle like that. I'd also work the local car shows.
R/Ts are useless to the majority of people looking for trucks so you need to actively seek out the buyers.
Factor in 'custom', whatever that entails, and the pool gets smaller still.
anyone whod be looking for an R/T wouldnt be using it for any real "truck" purposes to begin with.

eBay does not have a big draw for auto sales.

Use cars.com and autotrader.
havent looked at cars.com website but will check it out. i might just opt for the "list until sold" option on autotrader but i didnt get any hits the last two times i listed on there.

i used to be semi-active in the various dakota/durango websites but didnt think a forum would be the best place to sell a truck. its also been at least 7-8 years since ive posted on any of them

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I always use the list until sold option on autotrader, if you are desperate to sell it list it aggressively and take the emotion out of it having done all of the custom "work"

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sold an UrQuattro on ebay and bought an urquattro from an ebay ad (didn't actually bid, saw and drove out with cash). Everything worked out fine!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
and take the emotion out of it having done all of the custom "work"
trust me, for all the labor ive put into it, theres no more emotion. im trying to sell it for less then what the stereo alone is worth, let alone the other crap. sadly, none of it really matters to me anymore.

Trailslug46

Monkey
May 14, 2006
Indiana
I sold my 1969 FJ40 on Ebay. No problems. Buyer set up the transport company. Sent my deposit and final payment via over night UPS. Sent him the title and assorted paper work the same way. Both of us happy with the transaction.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I'm not sure how popular the site around you, but my friends buy/sell lots of chit on www.mautofied.com The worst part about it you'll mostly get trade offers for garbage. My friend literally got asked if he would trade his CRF 450 for a horse and some pigs, so it's probably of little use but just throwing that out there.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I bought my 300zx of ebay (guy lived in Everett, WA, I trailered it), bought my Husaberg on ebay, too (from Renton, WA).

Both times I sent them a $200 Paypal non-refundable deposit, then drove up and got it that weekend.