Quantcast

Selling on Pinkbike

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I occasionally visit Pinkbike and read news as well as trying to sell some stuff. I have a frame for sale over there and I'm amazed by the idiotic questions/responses I get. It seems like no one on that site can type a complete, or coherent, sentence. I'm going to pull my ad because all people do is waste my time. I know Pinkbike has a lot of douches, but I'm still amazed.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
its always a nightmare selling on there but ive sold 4 bikes on there and have 100% success rate..... after dealing with countless amounts of idiots/morons.

its always a good laugh though

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Good old Pinkbike. How many Xbox's or Walmart BMX bikes plus cash have been offered to you so far?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Last time I tried selling something on there I got an offer to trade a clearly clapped out '05 888 for my mint, less than a year old Totem. :rofl:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
It is hard, but I have sold probably around 3 grand worth of stuff on there... Go to my link below and see how I posted my ads, it makes them idiot-proof and straight forward. Sure I got the occasional stupid offer, but not too much.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I've sold over 50 items on there over the last few years. I learned very quickly to put "No Trades Whatsoever" in the description. It certainly helped but I always get the occasional "I know you said no trades but would you consder my clapped out ________"

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If you stir a bucket of sh!t, what comes up from the bottom?
If you're on the Jersey Shore, it's a white t-shirt with tattoo lettering.:rofl:

I concur with everybody else. I sell to locals from Asheville on Pinkbike. I list a part on local Craigslist and on Pinkbike and some local 10 minutes down the road finds it on Pinkbike and buys it.

I have been offered some heinous trades no matter how big I put the letters "NO TRADES". So I just stopped putting that in and sitting back and enjoying the "variety" of offers I receive.:p

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Every time someone offers you a trade look at it as an opportunity to offer them a more ridiculous trade in return.

I've had two offers to trade for complete POS bikes.
Your response should be, "I'm sorry I can not accept your offer but I can offer you an old couch my roommate barfed on in return for your bike"

or

"I am interested in the bike you offered me but I can not trade it for my ****. Will you accept a hand written IOU from the prostitute who works the corner by my house? According to the IOU it is good for one Cleavland steamer or a handy. She looks pretty clean so I would say it's a good deal"

People should be asked to perform a couple of simple tasks (like writing 3 lines without grammar mistakes, solving a quadratic equation or writing their age in roman numbers), before being allowed to answer (or post, by the way) and ad.

That would filter the list of potential buyers and, at least, give you a minimum warranty that their questions don't make your eyes bleed.

I find it strange that nobody has mentioned yet a couple of usual suspects:
- The one who says "I'm very interested!!!! Give me your account and I'll pay you tomorrow morning" - and that's the last time you hear of him.
- An interesting variant of the later; "I want to buy it, but I don't have the money right now. Will you save it for me till I sell my XXXX?"
- The guy who gets mad at you, because he saw your ad late and, for some reason, believes you should have sold it to him (instead of the guy who showed real interest first).

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I avoid Pinkbike because of all the reasons listed here, but my teammate has great luck selling stuff there.

I made a Pinkbike account, but its new and I don't want to spend time getting posts just make my ID look legit in order to sell something.

I'd rather get my internet abuse from people who use complete sentences.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I saw something on craigslist that looked decent but the ad said "No emails, call peanut." and I lost interest because I really don't want to talk to peanut.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I like the "I've got to sell this bike first, then I'll have the money" as if they want you to save it for them. It's full of that, but I sold my two most recent bikes on there, suprisingly...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Somehow I have great luck selling on there. Sure, you get a bunch of stupid e-mails, but usually your stuff will sell.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A well informed and intelligent customer base might make for a less painful selling experience but if you want to make money, knuckle dragging idiots are the customers you want to find.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
A well informed and intelligent customer base might make for a less painful selling experience but if you want to make money, knuckle dragging idiots are the customers you want to find.
That's how I sold my Kona!

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
For me, I've been getting the "can you ship to Chili" or other crazy places... I guess if they want to pay?!? Must be a shortage of Intense frames out there.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
For me, I've been getting the "can you ship to Chili" or other crazy places... I guess if they want to pay?!? Must be a shortage of Intense frames out there.
ive gotten a few request from Chile, Singapore and a lot of Europe. after i looked into prices for most and found out how ridiculous it would be, i just tell them to look elsewhere.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I shipped my old Super Monster to a kid in the Ukraine.
That was sure interesting.
Had to re-pack it 3 times because it within an inch of the limit for shipping (Postal Service).
Also, took like a month and a half to get to him. Poor kid was emailing me after 3 weeks freaking out, thinking he lost his money. I was so glad when he finally emailed me saying he got it, he was happy.

Oh yes, you get some funny looks when you bring in a box that looks like a gun case and weighs 20+ lbs to the Post Office. "What is it?" "Bicycle part" Sure...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
a while back i was selling an OG 888 on here for a hundred twenty five bucks - which included shpiping in the US. Guy from poland contacts me, and when i told him how much it would have cost to ship to him, he flipped out and called me a scammer. :rofl:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ugh I loathe selling crap on stinkbike. It's like they hand pick the retodds. I sold my brooklyn on there but it took six months. I had a guy ready to hand over the dough until he found out I had replaced the near useless but shiny hope brakes with actually functioning magura gustavs and he balked. WTF?

shipping to chile and "i'll trade you my ps2 when it comes back from repairs for your $2000 bike" are commonplace.

Expensive shipping is what makes some of us not even think of buying used stuff overseas... in most cases.

Complete bikes and new parts are often cheaper in the US, but many shops will only ship through DHL or UPS - which means you have to add ~30% surcharge over the price of the stuff+shipping. The sad thing is that, even then, in many cases it's worth it.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Expensive shipping is what makes some of us not even think of buying used stuff overseas... in most cases.
Many brands/products are not available in countries such as Chile. Those silly bastards seem to love MTBs though so some of them will go to great lengths to get a good bike.

splat

Nam I am
well I saw a guy on there ( who was somewhat Local ) trying to sell a Nice road Bike for $1000 Or trade for a Full suspension Mt bike. I had been trying to sell my old Rocky Mt. for $400 on Craigs list with no takers. I offered it to him. he was thrilled with it , we made the trade . I turned around and sold the Road Bike for $900 -- -Cha ching!

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
ugh I loathe selling crap on stinkbike. It's like they hand pick the retodds. I sold my brooklyn on there but it took six months. I had a guy ready to hand over the dough until he found out I had replaced the near useless but shiny hope brakes with actually functioning magura gustavs and he balked. WTF?
:rofl:
You get some real winners on there.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
brian HCM???

shipping to chile and "i'll trade you my ps2 when it comes back from repairs for your $2000 bike" are commonplace.

Random Fact: Latin America is still a HUGE market for PS2.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I sold my DH-9 on pinkbike, for 400, with 375 shipping to germany, well... He payed it :confused:
I know I have the receipt for this one somewhere...
I had bought a brand new Spec P2, but never really rode it. Listed it for sale, some guy in NC bought it. Then he asks if I can send it 3-day air to him. Uh, sure. He paid $500 for the bike, just under $400 for the shipping. He was happy when he got it, I guess he was going on vacation and wanted to get it in time (I'm in AZ).

Even the people at UPS kept asking "are you sure?". Yup, I'm not paying for it...

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Pinkbike and CL are hands down the best place to sell anything bike related. RM and MTBR are almost a waste time.

Yes, you have to wade through a sea of wankers but if you are patient someone will buy it for pretty darn close to your asking price.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I know I have the receipt for this one somewhere...
I had bought a brand new Spec P2, but never really rode it. Listed it for sale, some guy in NC bought it. Then he asks if I can send it 3-day air to him. Uh, sure. He paid $500 for the bike, just under $400 for the shipping. He was happy when he got it, I guess he was going on vacation and wanted to get it in time (I'm in AZ).

Even the people at UPS kept asking "are you sure?". Yup, I'm not paying for it...
Geez he was pretty close to the price of a new one?