Quantcast

Selling Pictures

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
****This thread is not about Diablo, Mountain Creek, or any personal crap****

Many of you in the Diablo section know me, and my work. If I was to begin charging for my pictures would you buy them? I am working with other mountains, and cross country events. So being you all have seen my work I would like to know your honest opinions of if it is worth a few bucks. Mind you that buying one of my picture pays the site it comes from, my camera gear, gas, and my time and talent.

Thanks for the feedback Sean Mankiw, PinkShirtPhotos.

this thread is not about diablo, I am not selling pictures at diablo freeride park. Shawn if you read this I AM NOT SELLING PICTURES ON YOUR MOUNTIAN.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
If you make me look SUPERGNAR like in that picture you finally sent me (thanks btw) I might consider it. Price has to be reasonable though

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
come on guys support a local. ill buy. i think he takes decent pics...

keep in mind its gainy bc its downsized for all you 56ker's

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
depends on the picture and location. a sweet picture sitting in parkin lot isnt worth as much as a half as good picture of a sweet 50 foot double. and if its worth it then yes

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
It's bad enough we have to buy Tubes for 20 bucks a pop, and Brake pads for 25+ a pop.....

You started taking pictures as a hobby, now you want to charge folks.... and if fools buy them then they are fools.....

Dave Takes pics, and he said he'll post them when he can, he just hates when he starts getting emails, PM's, VoiceMails, Text messages asking for them. Especially if he doesn't know the people asking for them!

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
i'm also going to set up a redbull stand on top of Alpine and sell them for 15 bucks a pop....... just an FYI!

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
****This thread is not about Diablo, Mountain Creek, or any personal crap****

Many of you in the Diablo section know me, and my work. If I was to begin charging for my pictures would you buy them? I am working with other mountains, and cross country events. So being you all have seen my work I would like to know your honest opinions of if it is worth a few bucks. Mind you that buying one of my picture pays the site it comes from, my camera gear, gas, and my time and talent.

Thanks for the feedback Sean Mankiw, PinkShirtPhotos.

this thread is not about diablo, I am not selling pictures at diablo freeride park. Shawn if you read this I AM NOT SELLING PICTURES ON YOUR MOUNTIAN.

Honestly, you do take excellent pictures, however as an amateur photographer, really you should be pleased with any recognition you get in public. i.e. name in newspaper. I'm not trying to put you down, just dont think above your head. If people want prints, I would say yea... charge a few to cover printing costs, but not for a dig. file. And do not charge for a print made at home or at wal-mart on crappy paper with crap ink.

just my 2 pennies.

AzToJrse

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
SOUTH JERSEY
not knowing psp, he seems cool enough to post pics(pretty good ones) of most you fools on weekly basis during the summer, im down to support young local talent.im buyin!

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
Eh, cut the kid some slack, at least he's trying to figure out a way to make some income instead of hitting up his folks.

I'll buy some pics, you goat f*cker.

The303Kid

Monkey
Aug 5, 2007
Bergen County
u should make like one of those online portfolios that people can buy the pic right online and print it ur self, saves u the photo paper, ive been to a couple xc races were theres a photographer and if u ask them they give u a link to there web site and u buy them right from there, u take some good pics so i think u could charge

Oct 8, 2003
You have got some great shots of me that are worth something for sure. I think someone else said they were more interested in the digital then a printed picture and I would be in that same boat as my brother has a picture printer that prints much better pictures than any local places. Out of the 10 or 12 pictures you have taken of me I would say at least 7 were pretty good thats a really good %. If I could figure out how to post pictures I would show everyone but I can't remember.

BTW sometimes it takes a good rider to have a good picture taken. I know when I was first starting out I never had any good pictures taken, not the photographers fault. When you are riding like a noob it is going to look like you are riding like a noob in a picture.

Oct 8, 2003
Yes I know you took that picture its a really good one at a large size. I hope you can take some at the races again this year. I don't have the V10 anymore though......

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
i would love too, if you actually sent the pics you promised me awhile ago from diabloween. but since i havent seen any decent shots of me as of now i would say probably not.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
over the years. I have bought a half dozen pics from races. I don't think it would be any different from you, if they are good, I'll buy. Most races I go to there is a card left at the awards desk that has a website address or on the flyers or website of the event that has all the pics posted (with marker across them of course) and you can pic the ones you want and buy them via the internet and paypal or some other escrow service. I think if you have the ambition to do it go for it. Might make up for some of the costs you have aquired.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I'd buy 1 or 2 if they were good.

This idea probably isn't practical, but it would cool if you could take pictures of riders with their own respective camera- that I bet many would pay for.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Your probably better off setting up a paypal account and just having people send you a little money for a digi file. I still think thats the way to do it.

dpt852

Chimp
Aug 21, 2007
I would go take pics, and put them up on the web for the taking. But since I only get to diablo, like once or twice a month Im not sacrificing my time and energy.

P.S. Pinkshirt, i dont blame you. When I take pics at sporting events I dont get ****, and even though its alot of fun. I could find things that I can take pics of and make some money off them.

Sep 23, 2007
I would buy some pics from you, but not prints. i would want just the file...

sorry pink shirt i own a print shop, buying prints is kinda silly...

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
If you;re going to sell your pictures, make sure your "Pinkshirt Photos" water isn't on them, if you sell them make sure you sell original file, not edited!

skier8689

Chimp
May 2, 2007
cortlandt manor, NY
i think for races yea id buy the picture if it was good. otherwise, if your just chillin on the mountain taking casual pictures i see no reason to charge. i agree with whoever mentioned getting over ur head... your still young, and reputation is key. ur not gonna get a good rep by charging for casual every weekend pictures...