Quantcast

selling stuff on e-bay

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i have never sold anything on e-bay before. I guess i need to become a registered user and whatnot. my question is however how much money are they gonna take from me when the item sells?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yeah i just finished reading the "how much does it cost?" section and it was pretty confusing. oh well i will just post it on some forums instead.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yu get charged to post and then a % of the sale. If you use a basic listing format with a few pictures and start the bidding at $.01, then you will pay less than $2. Then depending on what it sells for is what you pay in the end.

I start auctions low becuase it's cheaper to list that way. You can't get out of paying the %, so your screwed there.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
biggins said:
yeah i just finished reading the "how much does it cost?" section and it was pretty confusing. oh well i will just post it on some forums instead.
ebay is better than forums for selling stuff. forums have lowballers and all sorts of flakes who don't pay after calling "dibs" on your items. with ebay at least you have a little recourse and get market value for your item, by definition.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
jimmydean said:
Yu get charged to post and then a % of the sale. If you use a basic listing format with a few pictures and start the bidding at $.01, then you will pay less than $2. Then depending on what it sells for is what you pay in the end.

I start auctions low becuase it's cheaper to list that way. You can't get out of paying the %, so your screwed there.
but if i go this route i am screwed because i may not get what the item is really worth.correct?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
biggins said:
but if i go this route i am screwed because i may not get what the item is really worth.correct?
if you take a decent photo of your item and post a link in the classifieds here, nsmb, and maybe pinkbike, then it'll sell. if it sells for less than you were expecting then your expectations were too high.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Potroast88 said:
You can put a reserve amount on your item. If the bidding does not meet your reservr price, you don't have to sell it.
Reserves are, IMO, worthless except for very high dollar items and rarities. 97% of the time, if you set a reserve and the item doesn't sell, you're expecting too much. It's usually not that you were going to get screwed.

I had a wheelset advertised on here for $150, and it sold on eBay for nearly $200. I have NEVER sold something on eBay that didn't go for an acceptable market value, and I don't put reserves on my auctions. If I have an item that I won't accept less than a certain amount for, I start it at that amount.

I think what people don't understand is that an item is only worth what people will pay for it. It has no other value. If people won't pay as much as you're expecting to get, it's because your estimate of its worth is wrong. Yeah, occasionally items go for less than they might go for the next week or even the next day, but that doesn't happen a majority of the time.