Quantcast

selling t-shirts to raise money for trail work

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Hey all - my local club has several trail building/maintenance activities going on right now... the big one is having the IMBA trail care crew come in for 4 days this fall. We are going to be selling t-shirts to try to raise some money for materials, renting equipment, insurance, that kind of thing.

In the past, we've used a local printer who is pretty good, but if I can get enough orders, I'd like to go with one of the bigger on-line outfits. Since I don't have a number yet, I don't have a firm price. However, from past experience, I'm thinking that the price will probably be around $25 per - that should give somewhere in the neighborhood of $2-$5 per shirt as "profit" to go to the trail building efforts.

If anyone is interesting in helping out, or just wants to buy an overpriced shirt, let me know.

this thread is only to gauge interest. I will make a new thread when it comes time to order.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
jacksonpt said:
Hey all - my local club has several trail building/maintenance activities going on right now... the big one is having the IMBA trail care crew come in for 4 days this fall. We are going to be selling t-shirts to try to raise some money for materials, renting equipment, insurance, that kind of thing.

In the past, we've used a local printer who is pretty good, but if I can get enough orders, I'd like to go with one of the bigger on-line outfits. Since I don't have a number yet, I don't have a firm price. However, from past experience, I'm thinking that the price will probably be around $25 per - that should give somewhere in the neighborhood of $2-$5 per shirt as "profit" to go to the trail building efforts.

If anyone is interesting in helping out, or just wants to buy an overpriced shirt, let me know.

this thread is only to gauge interest. I will make a new thread when it comes time to order.

Great idea. Two thing come to mind:
Wow, it seems like for $25 per you should net much more than $2-$5 profit per shirt. Gotta get those costs way down.
Do you think the "go ride" slogan might be somehow "familiar" to many riders out there?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I should get one of thoes for Aubrey.

Can I get one with just the front.

noslogan

Chimp
Mar 29, 2004
earth
Pretty sure you could get the shirts done for about $5-$6. However it does depend on how many you plan on making.
There is gonna be a "setup" fee of around $25. Thats for the stencil/computer techy stuff. Then it is about 1 to 4 dollars per shirt depending on how many or how little shirts are printed.

Get chea pass shirts. Not from the printer. Go low tech punk rock. Stick to supporting the locals if you can.

I will be making up shirts this spring. The monies will be going to rescueing greyhounds. I suspect that I can get good quality shirts ($4) and get them out the door for max $15.

I think 50 shirts printed (one side, one color) would be about $300 in total.
Maybe the printer is a mountain bike and would donate some work?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
It really depends on how many we get. The local printer did our last batch (was a smallish order, not economical to go on-line) for about $15 per shirt. If I go on-line, the per-shirt price will be less, but the setup charge could have a big impact on final price, depending on numbers. Basically, I tried to figure high, then add in shipping, and that's where $25 per shirt came from.

My goal is to clear $5 per shirt. If I can do that and charge less than $25 per, then great. But I tried to figure high.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
DRB said:
The I Like it Rough is okay.

But why not Go Work on the front with a shovel and a mattock.

Then Go Ride on the back.
We are going to do something more trail-work oriented closer to the time the IMBA ttc comes. That one will probably say something like "Build, Ride, Repeat" on the front, then something more specific to our club on the back (club name with the guy on the bike... something like that).

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
If I can get enough orders to go on-line, the shirts can be done for about $10 per, which means the total cost to you would be in the range of $18-$20 (including shipping). That's much better, but again, it's all dependant on numbers.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
DRB said:
The I Like it Rough is okay.

But why not Go Work on the front with a shovel and a mattock.

Then Go Ride on the back.
:stupid:

I'd buy a shirt that said that. As long as its not on a black tshirt. I like the colors of your example.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
jacksonpt said:
If I can get enough orders to go on-line, the shirts can be done for about $10 per, which means the total cost to you would be in the range of $18-$20 (including shipping). That's much better, but again, it's all dependant on numbers.

I think you can get it done for much cheaper then $10 a shirt cumulative. A couple of ways to cut costs;

1. Try to put the art one side only. This way you save the set-up fee for the second screen.
2. Limit colors to one (I think you already got that one...)
3. If you print on a white shirt, it WILL cost less
4. If you decide to get 10 of a size/color, get the dozen. The price breaks for everyone at that point.
5. Don't be particular about where the mill is. ie Don't buy American Apparel, it cost 2-3 times the competition.

All aside, I have print shop set up at this point and would be happy to try and work with you to get a good price/profit scheme together. PM if interested.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
jacksonpt said:
It really depends on how many we get. The local printer did our last batch (was a smallish order, not economical to go on-line) for about $15 per shirt. If I go on-line, the per-shirt price will be less, but the setup charge could have a big impact on final price, depending on numbers. Basically, I tried to figure high, then add in shipping, and that's where $25 per shirt came from.

My goal is to clear $5 per shirt. If I can do that and charge less than $25 per, then great. But I tried to figure high.
at that price Jackson ($15) I think the printer did well... when do you want them printed? how many shirts in total did you want? and what size break down? You get a break if you buy in 1/2 dozens, again in dozens, and in cases. Let me know what type of shirts you want, and I will get you a price. I use 2 suppliers on of the more reliable is Broder Bros look through their product if you see what you want, I can give you a price per shirt unprinted. (I would offer to print them for you at school and save you $$$$$$ by having my Graphics club print them) but my shirt dryer is on the blink, and I am waiting for parts... if I get it fixed it is still an option...

PM me if you need anything more...