Quantcast

Semmering 24H Downhill race

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Here's my experience on the 24H race that was held last weekend at the good bikepark Semmering in Austria

In the weekend of August the 7th-8th was the biggest race/event on the bikepark Semmering callender,the legendary 24H downhill race with riders that came from 9 nations and with a record breaking riders field of almost 400 riders in total it was bigger than previous years.

The Track:
The track was the same as previous years,the 3500m long 24H race track with a 400m vertical drop from top to bottom.It's known as a very fast,open and flowy track with rougth sections,berms,jumps and even included a wallride.People doesn't need to bring their ligth's with them since the course is fully eluminated.

Tire choice:
For the race people are deciding if they whanna ride with dry tires or spike tires,intressting was most have decided to go with Maxxis Wetscreams,Schwalbe Dirty Dan's and some Kenda & Intense spikes tyres.Some head Dry tires like a Maxxis Ardents,Minions,Schwalbe wicked will,Muddy Marry,Big Betty.I have put a Maxxis Wetscream in the rear and a Minion DHF in the front

Race day:
After 2 hour training session on the track,followed by a riders briefing and then it was time to head for the summit for the start .It was sunny weather but 30min from the start(which was on 12 o clock in the midday) it's started to rain hard and the conditions where not going to change at all,the start of the race is a Le Man start where every one are sprinting to their bikes and go as fast as possible to gondola at the bottom of the mountain.

With lot's of people on the track and people that falling down,it was a bit sketchy but after 1 lap every one was covered in mud and it was still getting more muddy'r and slippery than ever before.The grassy ground was no more and the slippery rocks where comming more visable.

After 3 hours i was soaking wet/cold and i needed to take a break because other wise i got sick but a hot shower at the hotel did me good and i put warm cloths on + rain cloths to not getting soaking wet.Some hours pass by and the evening started and it hasn's stopped raining and i head done 20 laps.

At half way point in the evening i was at a 10th place but i needed to go a long way because the night is mostly very long and hard,then when it was 2 o clock in the nigth it head stopped raining and it never rained again.But the track was turned into a very slippery mudfest but with Maxxis Wetscreams front and rear it was doing it's job.After 16 hours of riding the pain starts to kick in my knee's,fingers,hands,arms and i was tired as hell.

Then at almost 6 o clock in the morning Sunrise came and after a very long nigth i was at 6th place which was very good,but the hardest part starts and i was dealing with all the pain in my body for another 6 hours long till the race is over.I head done 80 laps and with no sleep i needed to stay focussed all the time but in the mean time i was getting pumped and where riding faster lap times.The track was now almost like a Motocross track with every deep holes and it became pretty rougth track.

With almost 1 hour left i was at 5th place but the number 6th needed to beat me with almost 4 rounds which wasn't going to happen,the number 4 was 10 laps a head of me which was impossible to pass him by and taking over the number 4th possition.Then after 24h it was over & done and have taken for the first time a top 5 placing:thumb::),i was soo happy but soo tired and everything hurts on my entire body.I couldn't break because i head no brake pads left.

Next year im going back to ride it again,this was the hardest DH race i have ever done but what a experience at the same time.The food was great,good vibe,lot's of medical staff and well organised race.I will recommend this race to every one that whanna try & ride the 24 hour race.

Pic's:

More other pictures from more riders,check Picasa etc from other photografers
http://picasaweb.google.com/fuchslfuchsrne1
http://www.oypo.de/pixxer.asp?path=o62gfp54&user=ms-sport
http://picasaweb.google.de/elmelos/24h_DH_Semmering10_Sonntag#

Podiums:

Solo

1. Daniel Tulla 149 laps
2. Rene Albleitinger 146 laps
3. Richard Lesiak 119 laps

2er Team

1. RC Wals Gravity 152 laps
2. Team Nox RC Wolf Imst 151 laps
3. Bikepalast 1 148 laps

4er Team

1. Freeride Kosice 1 156 laps
2. Orange Stoahupha 155 laps
3. URC Flowmotion 153 laps

6er Team(same amount of laps,other times)

1. Geronazzo 152 laps 9:37,54
2. Freeride Kosice 2 152 laps 9:45,34
3. Revolution Racing 152 laps 9:47,50

Youtube has a vid of the 24H DH race

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Respect,But if the track is 3.5km long, and you rode it 100 times...you rode 350km of DH, in one day?

RoboS

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
Last year the weather was perfect. But I broke my ribs at 2:30AM, so I did not finish.
This year I raced the team of 6 riders and it was enough for me. I still don't understad how can you ride 100+ laps alone, because we had 144 laps as a team of 6. We were totaly exhausted, but very lucky for 7th place.

Congrats for you 5th place.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Ronan: My leatt brace was filled up with so much mud,i couldn't close it when i whanna put it on,it couldn't use it any more for the next day when the sun came and it was perfect weather

Sandwich: The Zauberberg is mountain for Skiers & snowboarders,so they used the same light's found on any ski resort:).