Quantcast

sent in the deposit

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
sent in the deposit required to start the fabrication of my new bike...a rigid 29-er, geared. hope to have it by Christmas.

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
Getting a bike fabricated in 2 weeks will be quite a feat in itself. Good luck with it.

btw, I see you are in Austin so it had better be a Willits!

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
Just rode my 10 year old rigid Willits Townie today and you are in for at least 10 years of bike bliss I can assure you.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Congrats.

Tell us more about the frame geometry and whatnot and also what components you are going to pair up with it??

Is the shop within driving distance of you? Can you visit and pick the frame up when it is done?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
can't remember frame geometry...i just remember 18" ST and 23.5" TT.

build will be something like...

FSA stem
Thomson setback post
King headset
Easton aluminum bars
XO shifters (to be replaced with new XTR)
Avid Ultimate calipers (V)
Paul levers
Middleburn cranks
whatever tapered bb i can find
XTR FD
X9 RD (to be replaced with XTR)
Eggbeaters
King/ DT 1.1 wheels

the shop is about 3hrs away in Austin. i'm in Dallas. if i really wanted to, i could've driven down to pick it up, but shipping was less than gas, so...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin

Frame arrive yesterday. Built it up tonight. Still need a few minor things (adjust HB height, new chain, swap front derailleur), but given the forecast, I have till Feb.

Paul Love Levers bound to Avid Ultimates. Feel fantastic. I was worried about the lack of spring in the lever...not an issue. Rigid fork by Willits. Wheels are King/ DT 1.1s, 32h, 3x driveside, 2x non-driveside (Rear), 2x (Front). X0 grippies and X9 RD will be replaced with 2007 XTR as soon as my order arrives.

More of the same.

Under-TT cable routing. Pretty much the only structural piece that I asked for.

Under-TT cabe routing looks so clean in front. Head tube sticker to be replaced with badge whenever Willits gets them in.

Only one of these I have seen in/ around the shop.

All was not peachy, though. Brake bosses were powdercoated. I didn't realize that until I tried to put on the brake. Wouldn't come off, so I had to use a punch and a hammer. Knicked up the backside of a brake caliper pretty badly, and popped the bearing out. Also knicked the fork leg. That's what I get for working in low light.

Been raining since...well, forever, I think, so I don't know when I'll be able to get out and ride.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
so, upon further inspection, the rear triangle had some issues. ended up sending the frame back to Willits on the 19th. Wes and Jared knocked it out ****in' fast. I had it back and built up on Tuesday with fresh powder.

the build came to 24lbs, minus water bottle.

took it for its first ride today at Tyler State Park. trail left some to be desired...sort of. i was looking for something somewhat technical, but not too rough. what i got was smooth, flowy singletrack. eh.

bike felt awesome.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
pictures from first ride:

It's damn cold.

Getting my legs warmed up...spinning.

Crazy stunts.

Kind of bored, but so glad to be out riding.

Half-way up the big climb, mis-shift, and get annoyed. That's a big tree (compared to what I'm used to seeing while riding).

Yep.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Boulder Park, Dallas, TX.

'nother cold one...

a bit tacky out...

should read "rollers"...

Teh Monstah...

I conquered Teh Monstah...

Way too muddy, to me. Taken after a lot of mud had been scraped off.

Trail was a heck of a lot more fun than the other one I posted. And 90 minutes closer. Only downer was how tacky/ muddy it was. Tires were caked. By the end of the ride, exposed roots were like slip and slides.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
That's a mighty sharp bike! What model WTB saddle is that?

I've got an INbred 29er on the way - and damn that saddle would look good on it. Might go with a SDG Ibeam set up on it though, because I can get it fairly inexpensively.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
been riding much more lately. finally got down to Austin to ride my favorite piece of trail (pictured)...it was wonderful.

the first part of my ride is a fairly rocky descent...nothing crazy, but a lot more technical than what i'm riding here in Dallas.

didn't stop to take any more pictures going down. kind of hard to stop then get back at it. at the bottom of the descent is this dam that is pretty much the gateway to a wonderful world of trails...

so i ventured through there a little bit. did more hiking than i would like to admit. coming back, the end of my ride is going back up the descent i came down. something like 300' in about half a mile or so.

the beginning...

up a little ways...

i quickly learned that while i can ascend loose stuff somewhat easily churning a comfortable gear, when a 5" - 8" ledge is thrown in, i get all screwed up. i haven't ridden rigid in a while on this trail and need to relearn how to ride smoothly.

i try to find the smoothest line, though. typically it works, but sometimes the smoothest line up one step puts me way out of position for the next.

along that ascension are various fun side trails. this is my favorite resting point on the trail. so quiet.

this is the last part of the ascension. it starts out somewhat steep, but a clean line is doable. the end kicks it up a little bit and is looser with more golf-ball sized rocks. really hard to do out of the saddle...

got pulled into a badline and couldn't save it. pretty much impossible to get back to pedalling when you're at this point...so i hiked it.

parting shot.....so long wonderful trail...

have to have a full bike shot...

and i have to show off the freakin' best grips i've ridden in a long while.

3 layers of Rav-X tape. cheaper than Stella Eleganza and the same stuff.

i'm digging the bike. this weekend really showed off how well the bike fits and how well it rides. going down, i was crawling in some points, and the bike was fine with that. really stable at slow speeds...while i was trying to remember where my lines were. admittedly, i was choosing some stupid lines, both going up and down, but the bike rode well. oddly, i was also pushing higher gears than i was on my 26" HT and FS. that might've just been a product of finally being back in Austin and psyching myself up, though.

on the downside, i busted my ass 4 times in 2 days of riding. 2 soft, 2 hard including a brake lever to the gut. that did not feel well.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
rigid, SS, and odd bars...those seem to be 29-er trademarks for whatever reason. we just built up a $4000 SS, rigid, 29-er at the shop, that was spec'ed with Mary bars. struck me as odd. especially the bars...it's like a 29" wheel can't function without an odd bar, unlike 26" wheels that seem to have no problem with flats or normal risers.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I say whatever works for you is what is right. I actually have a set of Mary bars that I'll be using on my Inbred 29er. But I've been equally happy with some Titec Hellbents that I've used in the past.

Wouldn't mind trying some Surly Torsion bars actually.

Cheers,

Mark

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
you need someone to ride with!

lol

nice ride good to see start to end of a long life of a bicycle